Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

I took my RM500 / RM112 to a rehearsal last week. It was in an old Working Mens Club and we had use of the main function room (with stage).

Initially, with my amp at chest level on the hollow wooden stage and us on the dancefloor, I couldn't hear a thing at decent volumes. I moved it onto the solid floor and that improved things drastically. However a bit later as the volume naturally increased, I was struggling to hear any fundamental, mostly just the top end. I think my issue was the room, but was wondering if a 112 was enough to cut it here without PA support.

3 hours ago, Machines said:

I took my RM500 / RM112 to a rehearsal last week. It was in an old Working Mens Club and we had use of the main function room (with stage).

Initially, with my amp at chest level on the hollow wooden stage and us on the dancefloor, I couldn't hear a thing at decent volumes. I moved it onto the solid floor and that improved things drastically. However a bit later as the volume naturally increased, I was struggling to hear any fundamental, mostly just the top end. I think my issue was the room, but was wondering if a 112 was enough to cut it here without PA support.

I use an ABM Neo 112. First test with it at gig level volume is Saturday. I had two of the same cab but returned one as it  the build quality was poor and it rattled. I’m holding off buying another at the moment. Will be interesting to see how it copes. 

I'd like some opinions on servicing amps, please...

There's nothing wrong with my RM500, I've lost track of how many years I've had it and it was a second hand purchase. I recently joined a new band and we have a LOT more gigs than I had before. I really can't risk something going wrong. Should I get my amp serviced to make sure it stays in great working order? If yes, what would a service of a solid state amp involve? I don't have a backup amp, if poo hits the fan I'll plug my Helix into the PA, so want to make sure all my gear is tip top. I see it a bit like taking my Stingray for a service. I can change strings, oil the fretboard and adjust the neck myself but when I give it in for a "service" to Terry the setup guy it comes back feeling brand new due to the extra stuff he does like fret leveling and polishing, he checks all the electrics and stuff... Wondering if I'm missing a trick with the amp?

Any advice gratefully received.

• 4 weeks later...

Help required please?

I've recently bought a RM Evo 2 112 cab. It is rated at 300w at 8ohms. I have been running at Ampeg Portaflex 350 which delivers 250w at 8ohm in to it. The ampeg has been cutting out and last practice there was an electric short burning smell from the Ampeg as it cut out and I switched it off sharpish.

The Ampeg thankfully still works fine and has always performed well with a bigger 410 400watt 8ohn cab and zero issue.

Is the issue that the cab is not correctly rated or is the Ampeg overloading?

Any help appreciated RM crowd?

3 hours ago, stuckinthepod said:

Help required please?

I've recently bought a RM Evo 2 112 cab. It is rated at 300w at 8ohms. I have been running at Ampeg Portaflex 350 which delivers 250w at 8ohm in to it. The ampeg has been cutting out and last practice there was an electric short burning smell from the Ampeg as it cut out and I switched it off sharpish.

The Ampeg thankfully still works fine and has always performed well with a bigger 410 400watt 8ohn cab and zero issue.

Is the issue that the cab is not correctly rated or is the Ampeg overloading?

Any help appreciated RM crowd?

I’m no expert but that sounds more like an amp or speaker cable issue than a cab problem. Have you tried the usual things, different cable, mains lead etc? I’m sure someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along in a moment. 

If I recall the PF350 has a built in limiter and has a history of shutting down to protect itself.

You may  of been pushing the amp too hard with a single 112 cab unless you’re playing quietly !

I tried the PF500 with two 210 Ashdown cabs and it felt underpowered, the PF800 I tried was good.

The Ashdown  RM500 and RM800 both have plenty of power with one or two cabs. 

Edited by BassAdder27

I had exactly the same happen with my second Ampeg PF500, on the first time I used it, which is why it got returned pdq and why I no longer have faith in the PF range in general. Shame as the first one I had was excellent, great tone, volume, no issues at all.

On 22/02/2022 at 20:42, Waddycall said:

Anyone else noticed interference in the signal from the green VU light on the RM800 evo 2? Mines been back to Ashdown with this twice and has come back the same. It’s very faint and only audible if the treble is cranked right up but is there.

I have when using headphone only, but not when it's connected to a cab.

19 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Volume was about 1-2 o'clock so not maxed out by any means

Thanks all. I'm going to get the RM cab looked at before I use it again. Its a mystery how the Ampeg is still going but I've lost confidence in it. I've got a gig coming up and can't risk it.

I've bought a TC BQ500 Thrust instead which seems to be just the ticket with my old Laney 410.

Edited by stuckinthepod