Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, Pegdrums said:

Damn. 😔 I thought it was loud but was hoping it was maybe a case of 'it'll be grand at a gig'. Theres also a pop every now and again which is coming form the fan. 

Ive emailed Ashdown after I registered it and Ill follow up with a phone call tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look. 

Let me know what they say please, as I just listened to yours and it's the same as mine 😂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pegdrums said:

Yea I will of course. You got the evo 1 or 2?

Be no harm to let them know about it....the more they know that it's an issue the better.

Evo 1 500w. Absolutely fine outside house as other sound will nullify it, but makes using it for home practice a bit annoying unless cranked.

8 hours ago, Pegdrums said:

that's great to hear.

Can I ask, do you guys have a particular number to call them on or is it whatever is on their site?

Just ring their main number and press the option for service. It just sounds a bit more complicated as everyone name drops the great Dave Green.

So I rang ashdown just there and was amazed….. Dave Green actually answered the phone! Really nice guy really helpful.

He’s offered to replace the fan and send it back. I’ve to pay postage from Ireland though but hey it’s a fast solution. 

Edited by Pegdrums
spelling
  • Like 1

20220319_192452.thumb.jpg.db76c10b4a9aa9b88b78f331cb301e1b.jpg

Hello from across the ocean.   New in this chat but I've been around TB for a bit and recognize some handles. 

Just wanted to show some love for the RM300.  Recently grabbed this up from Sweetwater as a demo unit and I'm actually very impressed.   I read through this thread and got a ton of great info from you guys, thank you!

I can say that this sucker is a LOUD 300.  It's loud at whatever is drawn from 8ohms.  Run through the ABM 410 it's a little dark at flat but livens up with the EQ.

Through my Darkglass 212 4ohms... OH BOY OH BOY is this little guy rowdy.  I wrote up my initial impressions in a long post on the other bass forum.   I can drop the link if that's OK to do here or just search my handle over there.  

I'm a pretty big fan on Ashdown gear after picking up an LB30 last fall.  

Edited by Nuage420
typo
  • Like 6

Well, I've had mine for 3 or 4 rehearsals worth now and each time I am more pleased with it.

It's very powerful, very punchy and it really lets the sound of the different basses come through. The compressor is still a bit crap but it will do for when I can't be bothered to take a pedal and I don't need to swap between fingers / slap / pick.

The drive at low levels is great - just to add a bit more harmonic information. I leave that on most of the time now.

Very happy with it.

• Like 2

I would like to join the club please!

I have had a RM MAG 420 since 2014, picked up with the matching 210 and 115 cabs. The cabs are fine rather than anything special (they are budget after all) and you can see I use a TKS 112 mostly now, but I haven't felt the need to replace the amp since first plugging it in.

We all know the Ashdown sound; super solid, warm rock. Lovely stuff. The Shape sounds cool when I use it alone, but gets woolly in real life I find, so I lean on the EQ. I don't use the drive as I think it is a bit fizzy, but I think a smidge of Comp doesn't do any harm. Sub is fun I guess sometimes! I also think it takes pedals quite well too.

Picture for proof - please forgive the guitar amp...

20220321_204730.jpg

• Like 2

@Ben4343 that's a nice set up.

If anyone is curious (which you're probably not) I decided to return my RM 500 to the retailer for a full refund.

Why?

im in Ireland and to post it to UK to have fan swapped out brings the total cost of the amp ever closer to the EVO ii, which with a headphone out would be enormously useful for me. So rather than get it fixed Im gonna get my money back and save a smidge more a for the evo ii.

Many thanks to Dave Green whom I spoke with earlier. Absolute gent. Diagnosed over the phone that my fan sounded abnormal and offered to swap out the fan and ship it back same day. But as I said that would push the total money spent to €440. Another 50 and I can get a new evo ii so that's the plan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pegdrums said:

If anyone is curious (which you're probably not) I decided to return my RM 500 to the retailer for a full refund.

Why?

im in Ireland and to post it to UK to have fan swapped out brings the total cost of the amp ever closer to the EVO ii, which with a headphone out would be enormously useful for me. So rather than get it fixed Im gonna get my money back and save a smidge more a for the evo ii.

Many thanks to Dave Green whom I spoke with earlier. Absolute gent. Diagnosed over the phone that my fan sounded abnormal and offered to swap out the fan and ship it back same day. But as I said that would push the total money spent to €440. Another 50 and I can get a new evo ii so that's the plan.

Sounds like a good plan.

Top tip with the EVO II heads is that often the rear “headphone” button gets pushed in and you get zero sound out to the main speaker !

Happened to me a few times and after an initial panic you realise the switch is engaged for headphones out only !

You will like the EVO II heads 

My new RM800 last year was around £450 new !!  

5 hours ago, Pegdrums said:

Why?

You might want to bear in the mind that the headphone out on the evo2 (800 at least possibly 500) can be irritatingly noisy. You might want to check through this thread and see what others say. Also the line in is a mono line in not stereo aux in so if you want to play along with tracks in your headphones they’ll be mono.

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown ABM and Rootmaster RM owners club
On 20/03/2022 at 17:21, Pegdrums said:

Cheers

if anyone had 50 seconds to spare could you watch this video and tell me if the fan is louder than it should be? I’d really appreciate it

amp was on for 5 minutes in an ambient temperature. You can see my sexy slippers in the clip and I was wearing a fleece so not exactly a hot room

You should hear the fans on my ABM1000 , Sounds like you have a more powerful fan than required , Speak to Dave Green at Ashdown , They'll probably swap it .

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club
On 21/03/2022 at 11:12, Pegdrums said:

So I rang ashdown just there and was amazed….. Dave Green actually answered the phone! Really nice guy really helpful.

He’s offered to replace the fan and send it back. I’ve to pay postage from Ireland though but hey it’s a fast solution. 

I just called him too. He said that the RM is not a silent amp designed for home practise, but designed for stage use - so the fan runs permanently. 

However, it is possible to add a thermal switch to the fan circuit, so it only runs when it gets to a certain temperature - which is unlikely to happen at home. A superb solution.

• Like 1