Why become a member? ×

Heaven knows he's miserable now!! ;-)

cetera

59 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

If you did want to give them another listen then I’d always recommend How Soon is Now as a starting/returning point. Marr’s swampy/Bo Diddley riff/playing is top drawer, and the rhythm section tight as. I also think it’s one of the more listenable vocally for non Morrissey fans...

Simply because of the ratio of music to Morrissey in ‘How soon is now’.

The rest of the album (Meat is murder) is a bit of a whinge-fest, particularly the title track, so for non-fans it’s best to take that track in isolation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

The rest of the album (Meat is murder) is a bit of a whinge-fest, particularly the title track, so for non-fans it’s best to take that track in isolation.

I wouldn't dream of listening to an album with a name like that, and I'm vegan! 

6 hours ago, paul_5 said:

The bassline to "Barbarism begins at Home" is lovely,  however. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

In covers bands, any song featuring Morrissey was the only thing I ever wanted to veto.  My only reason was that his voice and singing style irritate me too much (think dentist’s drill or nails on a blackboard) to allow me to listen to any of his songs long enough to learn it.

So it’s with a wry smile to myself that now, at long last, there’s another good reason not to cover Morrissey.

Only problem is; I can’t see my band activities resuming post-COVID-19, so I’m unlikely to ever put that argument to the test.😏

Only just seen this thread and my only contribution to it is to say that, although I've liked some (not all) of The Smiths music, I've always had a loathing for everything that Morrissey has presented to the world as his  'The Man as serious artiste' persona...

In recent years, the slow, unpeeling of his fake public persona has finally revealed the nasty, hate filled human being that he truly is. 

His reputation in the music business was always bad, and now his reputation as a public figure is on par with it. 

😐

• Like 3

We do a couple of Smiths songs (This Charming Man and There Is A Light), and they're two of my favourite songs to play; the bass lines are great fun, and they always go down a storm. People like to think they're singing along ironically, but they're really not... 🙂

Sadly, Morrisey himself has personal opinions I'd rather not contemplate, although that can be said of quite a few people in the business. That's where the phrase 'Never meet your heroes' comes from...

Musically and lyrically, The Smiths were an important band, and yeah, they were very Marmite - at the time, I, like some people in the thread, couldn't get past Morrisey's schtick, but in later years I've come to like the tongue-in-cheek lyrics, some of which are genuinely brilliant.

Oh, and it's a measure of the 'love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it' nature of Morrisey's delivery that any time someone sings a Smiths song, they're irresistibly drawn into a Morrisey impression...our singist tries very hard; he starts off in his own voice, and three lines in he's hooting and parping... 😁

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

It’s funny that for some reason while I never really liked The Smiths I did quite like some of Morriseys solo stuff. Always thought he was a bucketful of odd though.

I'm the same, couldn't stand his whaling in the Smiths but he did seem to sing a bit more on his solo stuff, First of the Gang to Die and especially Every Day is Like Sunday are amongst my favourites

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Oh, and it's a measure of the 'love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it' nature of Morrisey's delivery that any time someone sings a Smiths song, they're irresistibly drawn into a Morrisey impression...our singist tries very hard; he starts off in his own voice, and three lines in he's hooting and parping... 😁

Like this - even at excited drummer speed: