Why become a member? ×

Finished! It's a bass, Jim...

Andyjr1515

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There is actually one small tweak I'm going to make, apart from the above jobs, before I declare it properly finished.  I'll let you all guess what that might be.  Usual prize - one cheesy grin emoji

Extra string?

Even without that, this is a fabulous piece of work.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slojo said:

Battery isolation switch to turn the LEDs off, via a push-pull pot maybe?

Nope :)  There's no way of doing that except to simply unplug the battery (which is only there for the LEDs).  The LEDs are all controlled from within the SimS switches themselves.

It's the bridge positions.  There's been a bit of cumulative creep that has put the strings too offset towards the treble side.

Normally, that wouldn't really need sorting, but you have to remember that these pickups are two rows of two side by side coils.  In that it is fixable, that the fix can be invisible and relatively straightforward, I'd rather sort it ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Yeah, but he get the candid shots left in, know what I mean? Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

You mean the ones where I destroyed the 3/4 finished bass with the router and had to start again?  No, it's OK, he doesn't know about that.  Oh...wait a minute...

:D

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It's the bridge positions.  There's been a bit of cumulative creep that has put the strings too offset towards the treble side.

Normally, that wouldn't really need sorting, but you have to remember that these pickups are two rows of two side by side coils.  In that it is fixable, that the fix can be invisible and relatively straightforward, I'd rather sort it ;)

A less honest luthier would never draw attention to those inevitable issues that occasionally crop up. Best of luck, may the fix go smoothly.

• Like 3

OK - if the light is OK tomorrow, I'll do the arty farty shots....because it's all done!  Wahaaaaaayyyy! :party:

I'm MUCH happier with the string positions, both relative to the pickups and relative to each other - and it's all invisible; top horn strap button on; back cover drilled, countersunk and fixed.

So just optimising the string and pickup heights and the wait for Boris to decide that @Jus Lukin and I can meet somewhere just north of the M25 for me to pass it over.

All being well, final photos tomorrow :)

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Can you be more specific about the time and place for the handover - I need to arrange an ambush...

So, so jealous...

Mick man!!

I told you not to say anything about our cunning plan 🙄

Edited by BassTool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4