Jump to content
yorks5stringer

Genuine Telecaster Bass?

Recommended Posts

If it is so rare, why so (relatively) cheap? Serial Number? Never seen one mentioned in the Fender bass books either. but I've been wrong before!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Telecaster-Bass-Heavy-Relic-Pro-Set-Up-Tweed-Hardcase/143759933069?hash=item2178c27e8d:g:qCwAAOSwYb5fceB1

 

Edited by yorks5stringer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squier Vintage Modified Tele Bass Special with a well nasty relic job and  a "1" on the front of the price that shouldn't be there. 
 

Squier_Vintage_Modified_Telecaster_Bass_

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

A neighbour of @Andyjr1515....

Based on the ebay username, I reckon it's the small recording studio in the town a few miles away.

I suspect there's no way of knowing if it started life as a genuine Fender but gosh...what a way to treat one if it did ;) 

 

Edited by Andyjr1515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Based on the ebay username, I reckon it's the small recording studio in the town a few miles away.

I suspect there's no way of knowing if it started life as a genuine Fender but gosh...what a way to treat one if it did ;) 

 

I think the best of way of establishing whether it started out as a Fender would be to check previous Fender models

So no, it didn't start out life as a genuine Fender :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I need a tetanus shot just looking at that. In what world does a bass age like that? Unless it's been left under a dock or buried 6ft under for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jonse said:

In what world does a bass age like that? 

In Donald Trump's world of the fake everything :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jonse said:

 In what world does a bass age like that?

I'm guessing he has treated all of his guitars the same as he is selling a couple more "vintage" ones that look like they have also been used for axe throwing practice in a fishpond....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I think the best of way of establishing whether it started out as a Fender would be to check previous Fender models

So no, it didn't start out life as a genuine Fender :) 

Agreed. It's very obvious it's the Squier VM Tele posted upthread, compare visible details like screw & component positions & they're identical.

And when did any vintage Fender come fitted with cheap Chinese pressed-tin tuners as standard? :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Complete with a confirmation of the 32" scale neck, just in case anyone had doubts that this wasn't the VM Squier! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Agreed. It's very obvious it's the Squier VM Tele posted upthread, compare visible details like screw & component positions & they're identical.

And when did any vintage Fender come fitted with cheap Chinese pressed-tin tuners as standard? :lol:

Those Squier/MIM/Highway One tuners look like they've had a hard life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, prowla said:

Those Squier/MIM/Highway One tuners look like they've had a hard life...

The whole thing "looks like" it's had a hard life!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2020 at 00:47, KK Jale said:

Squier Vintage Modified Tele Bass Special with a well nasty relic job and  a "1" on the front of the price that shouldn't be there. 

ITYM a "12" on the front of the price that shouldn't be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent the seller this PM to no response:

"Just flagging up that I'm pretty sure that is not a genuine Fender Telecaster Bass, although it may have been a Vintage Modified Squier one, in which case you may wish to reconsider your listing title? A serial number would help although I've never ever seen one of these badged 'Fender.' I'm sure you are aware aftermarket decals are available for all types and ages of Fender. There were 2 styles of Telecaster basses, the early ones with a single pickup and the 1972 onwards with the Humbucker like on yours: I've had both over the years."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2020 at 13:06, yorks5stringer said:

I sent the seller this PM to no response:

"Just flagging up that I'm pretty sure that is not a genuine Fender Telecaster Bass, although it may have been a Vintage Modified Squier one, in which case you may wish to reconsider your listing title? A serial number would help although I've never ever seen one of these badged 'Fender.' I'm sure you are aware aftermarket decals are available for all types and ages of Fender. There were 2 styles of Telecaster basses, the early ones with a single pickup and the 1972 onwards with the Humbucker like on yours: I've had both over the years."

On the strength of me contacting him and pointing out it's not what he says it is, he's sent me an offer price of £975 which I've had to graciously decline...( and point out he needs to knock a further £700 off the price too!)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the reason it's a "super rare fender Telecaster bass guitar" is because it isn't one!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all makes you feel sorry for some unfortunate who spends the money without knowing their stuff or do sufficient research or getting advice from those that do.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I saw the words 'Pro Set Up' I thought at first that it was He Who Shall Not Be Named!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikNik said:

When I saw the words 'Pro Set Up' I thought at first that it was He Who Shall Not Be Named!

It'd look great with fanned tuners.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2020 at 08:11, prowla said:

It'd look great with fanned tuners.

And "custom" script on the headstock written with a Sharpie...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

And "custom" script on the headstock written with a Sharpie...

Oh yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...