Why become a member? ×

Genuine Telecaster Bass?

If it is so rare, why so (relatively) cheap? Serial Number? Never seen one mentioned in the Fender bass books either. but I've been wrong before!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Telecaster-Bass-Heavy-Relic-Pro-Set-Up-Tweed-Hardcase/143759933069?hash=item2178c27e8d:g:qCwAAOSwYb5fceB1

Edited by yorks5stringer

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

A neighbour of @Andyjr1515....

Based on the ebay username, I reckon it's the small recording studio in the town a few miles away.

I suspect there's no way of knowing if it started life as a genuine Fender but gosh...what a way to treat one if it did ;) 

Edited by Andyjr1515

32 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Based on the ebay username, I reckon it's the small recording studio in the town a few miles away.

I suspect there's no way of knowing if it started life as a genuine Fender but gosh...what a way to treat one if it did ;) 

I think the best of way of establishing whether it started out as a Fender would be to check previous Fender models

So no, it didn't start out life as a genuine Fender :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I think the best of way of establishing whether it started out as a Fender would be to check previous Fender models

So no, it didn't start out life as a genuine Fender :) 

Agreed. It's very obvious it's the Squier VM Tele posted upthread, compare visible details like screw & component positions & they're identical.

And when did any vintage Fender come fitted with cheap Chinese pressed-tin tuners as standard? :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Agreed. It's very obvious it's the Squier VM Tele posted upthread, compare visible details like screw & component positions & they're identical.

And when did any vintage Fender come fitted with cheap Chinese pressed-tin tuners as standard? :lol:

Those Squier/MIM/Highway One tuners look like they've had a hard life...

On 30/09/2020 at 00:47, KK Jale said:

Squier Vintage Modified Tele Bass Special with a well nasty relic job and  a "1" on the front of the price that shouldn't be there. 

ITYM a "12" on the front of the price that shouldn't be there.

I sent the seller this PM to no response:

"Just flagging up that I'm pretty sure that is not a genuine Fender Telecaster Bass, although it may have been a Vintage Modified Squier one, in which case you may wish to reconsider your listing title? A serial number would help although I've never ever seen one of these badged 'Fender.' I'm sure you are aware aftermarket decals are available for all types and ages of Fender. There were 2 styles of Telecaster basses, the early ones with a single pickup and the 1972 onwards with the Humbucker like on yours: I've had both over the years."

• Like 1

On 03/10/2020 at 13:06, yorks5stringer said:

I sent the seller this PM to no response:

"Just flagging up that I'm pretty sure that is not a genuine Fender Telecaster Bass, although it may have been a Vintage Modified Squier one, in which case you may wish to reconsider your listing title? A serial number would help although I've never ever seen one of these badged 'Fender.' I'm sure you are aware aftermarket decals are available for all types and ages of Fender. There were 2 styles of Telecaster basses, the early ones with a single pickup and the 1972 onwards with the Humbucker like on yours: I've had both over the years."

On the strength of me contacting him and pointing out it's not what he says it is, he's sent me an offer price of £975 which I've had to graciously decline...( and point out he needs to knock a further £700 off the price too!)

• Haha 1