Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

To me it feels like they are being a bit arrogant, like "why bother, it will sell anyway". No interest to inform potential customers at all.

Personally I wouldn't bother to buy from such a store. If looking for vintage Fender stuff in the UK, I'd go to Andy Baxter. He IS knowledgeable and takes effort to inform potential buyers about each item for sale.

Actually, such type adverts with no info are unacceptable from private sellers already. You'd be burned to the ground if you put an add like that on here 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

It might be just me, but I can't bring myself to pay big money for a refinished guitar, although I'm sure it's lovely. 

Yea, it looks great, but I agree that I would be very wary about paying a lot of money for a refin, purely because how it would affect the potential resale value for such an expensive bass.  

However, it makes me think - back when I was relatively young, we all had 70s Fenders and we all modded them! We all swapped out pickups, put on new bridges, etc and then sold them on to each other for £300 or so, without it affecting the value of the bass. Of course, they weren't considered 'vintage' back then! I remember seeing an interview with Rick Wills and Tom Semioli on 'Know Your Bass Player' and they agreed that a P bass isn't really your own until you've taken a screwdriver to it!

If I was ever to seriously consider buy a vintage Fender, I think that I would be looking for one that had a badass bridge or whatever already fitted, and was therefore considerably cheaper than an all original example. I would be scared of owning a really expensive vintage P bass because I would be afraid of modding it to get it how I wanted because of how it would effect its value... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ped said:

I honestly don’t know why The Bass Gallery put so little effort into their descriptions. Massively lets them down imo especially as buying from a shop like that should mean a reliable source of expert information as opposed to some waster saying ’L@@k VINTAGE LAWSUIT’ on eBay 

The Bass Gallery has always been old school and you get so much more out of face to face interaction there than you would an automated online transaction. For them it must work well that way otherwise you’d think there’d put more resource into the website.

• Like 2

Do you think they do this deliberately to make people contact them, I’ve asked many times for more info and pictures of neck stamps, pickup dates etc and they’ve sent them back almost immediately, so they already have the details but just don’t put it on their website 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Do you think they do this deliberately to make people contact them, I’ve asked many times for more info and pictures of neck stamps, pickup dates etc and they’ve sent them back almost immediately, so they already have the details but just don’t put it on their website 

Yeah I was going to suggest it might be preferable for them if people come and try them rather than buy online. Distance selling regs and judging value based on minute indicators must make it quite difficult to sell something like that online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

The Bass Gallery has always been old school and you get so much more out of face to face interaction there than you would an automated online transaction. For them it must work well that way otherwise you’d think there’d put more resource into the website.

I find its always best to actually ring places like the Gallery and speak to someone. For a start, it's the only way of knowing if they have sold the bass three months before they got round to putting it on the website! 

Some people used to moan about the old Bass Direct website, but the Gallery's was always far worse... 

• Like 2

I first went into the Gallery in the late 1990s. It was a proper bass shop then and it is just the same now. There are many places that do online listings better, particularly premium vintage stock, but everything I have given them to sell has achieved a good price and quickly. 
Being in an accessible central location, for a lot of people it’s relatively easy to check things out in person. Unfortunately for my wallet, it’s within walking distance of my workplace.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GuyR said:

I first went into the Gallery in the late 1990s. It was a proper bass shop then and it is just the same now. There are many places that do online listings better, particularly premium vintage stock, but everything I have given them to sell has achieved a good price and quickly. 
Being in an accessible central location, for a lot of people it’s relatively easy to check things out in person. Unfortunately for my wallet, it’s within walking distance of my workplace.

lol I check in regularly also. I was on grays inn road today and had to talk myself in not going to the store in fear of what I might leave with!🤣

last time I went the assistant told me it’s all or mostly commission sales. Tbh you have only a handful of online sellers that go to the detail of Andy who sales vintage stuff. 

You are right very few bass stores in London now. PMT near old street closed down permanently in December. 

I was eyeing a late 70’s fender p last summer but the seller installed Wilkinson pickups even though he gave them the originals🤷🏾‍♂️. Seemed like the seller didn’t want to pay for the gallery to switch them. 

the bass hasn’t moved for a while. I see why. 

Edited by soulstar89
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2024 at 17:14, ossyrocks said:

It might be just me, but I can't bring myself to pay big money for a refinished guitar, although I'm sure it's lovely. 

Off topic, but their lack of detail in describing their basses is frustrating. Some of the vintage Fenders have  not a single word!

Example - https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-jazz-bass-197 

Also, all original? Answers on a postcard please: https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-precision-1986

All original except for the £10 Chinese made pickguard. The link above says 1986 but the ad actually lists it reasonably accurately as a 78 - but the S8 serial numbers could be found on headstocks up to 1981.

Edited by Longwheelbass
Update

Not necessarily truly 'vintage' but what's everyone's thoughts on this tasty looking jazzer over at bass Bros:-

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1982-fender-jazz-bass/

Down as an '82 but the Fender serial lookup thingy comes up as a '78.  Not seen a bounded dot neck before and as someone who is a recent jazz convert and looking for a nice older bass this is ticking a few boxes!

32 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Not necessarily truly 'vintage' but what's everyone's thoughts on this tasty looking jazzer over at bass Bros:-

Down as an '82 but the Fender serial lookup thingy comes up as a '78.  Not seen a bounded dot neck before and as someone who is a recent jazz convert and looking for a nice older bass this is ticking a few boxes!

Binding with dots happened in two periods - around 1966 and again in around 1982. S8 and S9 serial numbers were used all the way up until 1983 so I'm sure Bass Bros are right listing it as an '82. Personally I really like 1976-1983 Fenders. Everyone says it was their worst period but from what I've seen the shoddiest woodworking/fit seemed to occur more around 73-75; that's when you see the worst cut bridge pickups routs/neck joints, etc. Actual fit and finish did start to improve on the S series basses and by 1982 I'd imagine it was pretty good as you get into the 'Dan Smith era'. Part of the reason why they get a bad rap is the weight- the example you listed is 5kgs, which is too much for many players these days. 

Edited by Belka
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

that looks nice, I have a 78 in and it’s a beauty, they are heavy though. 

4D8B7351-A9A8-4143-AC03-8FA51148556E.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Belka said:

Binding with dots happened in two periods - around 1966 and again in around 1982. S8 and S9 serial numbers were used all the way up until 1983 so I'm sure Bass Bros are right listing it as an '82. Personally I really like 1976-1983 Fenders. Everyone says it was their worst period but from what I've seen the shoddiest woodworking/fit seemed to occur more around 73-75; that's when you see the worst cut bridge pickups/neck joints, etc. Actual fit and finish did start to improve on the S series basses and by 1982 I'd imagine it was pretty good as you get into the 'Dan Smith era'. Part of the reason why they get a bad rap is the weight- the example you listed is 5kgs, which is too much for many players these days. 

Bang on. 5kgs is mad.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Belka said:

Binding with dots happened in two periods - around 1966 and again in around 1982. S8 and S9 serial numbers were used all the way up until 1983 so I'm sure Bass Bros are right listing it as an '82. Personally I really like 1976-1983 Fenders. Everyone says it was their worst period but from what I've seen the shoddiest woodworking/fit seemed to occur more around 73-75; that's when you see the worst cut bridge pickups/neck joints, etc. Actual fit and finish did start to improve on the S series basses and by 1982 I'd imagine it was pretty good as you get into the 'Dan Smith era'. Part of the reason why they get a bad rap is the weight- the example you listed is 5kgs, which is too much for many players these days. 

Also i note there are no pup or bridge cover holes, or thumbrest holes for that matter - is that normal on 80's fenders?

29 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Also i note there are no pup or bridge cover holes, or thumbrest holes for that matter - is that normal on 80's fenders?

Yes, I'm not exactly sure when they stopped shipping them with ashtrays but it was early '80s. 

I have no doubt that the bass is all original. I think the price is fair. Get over to Bass Bros and try it. He should have lots of other Jazzes you can compare it with to see how it checks out for you. Make sure you can deal with the weight though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Classic and Cool Guitars had a black dot bound S8 Jazz Bass a while ago, so it is definitely a thing - https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/portfolio/s8-black-jazz/. I've not seen many of them though, so perhaps pretty rare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I had an happy accident:

IMG_20240222_090604.thumb.jpg.23ec3d28c351eefd87b5025e49530d05.jpg

Late '70, complete with original Swedish purchase invoice and Hagstrom case with Fender nameplate.

Really nice , looks in great condition, good find 

54 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Gorgeous. You must tell me how to have a happy accident 

It was for sale on reverb at a Swedish vintage shop. I made an offer I'd never think would be accepted, but it happened. 

I always kinda regretted selling my '71 I've owned a few years ago. Just as I was thinking. About it last week, this '70 popped up.

In the advertising there was no mentioning of the original invoice and tags. It's also a surprise that the case has a Fender branded plate on it. So those were pleasant surprises.

• Like 1