Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

The vintage market is full of such insanity and nonsense. I was looking at this… https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195095187498?hash=item2d6c94502a:g:fI4AAOSwzLpilME4&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsO3C9t0zvqEBXIwI0SGxeLxJsgm9lJ0gyTu1RWqHm2hNyqQtrgNEZCvFosnECrBxJqAeOPr7chTYEXeKUj9tE3ozmRxV5fzRKHxtg8yRzd0pjcEdWt6B6l7GfGf%2B5%2BJjIqj6QWbDxPjNUL%2BM8zLQn%2BKEyfb2wFjHMHMNL4Bbsn5fp5jGK%2BtOuoF8sn6lSHUOYWTroQkP0giK80WqUsAaom92YdcfTKqDZoa1cOmbCV3%2B|tkp%3ABk9SR86GhbPSYQ

”Fender guitars and basses from this era had notoriously ‘baggy’ routing to the pick-up and neck pockets. This is because Leo fender, being aware of the imminent sale to CBS, stopped upgrading the equipment used to cut the body blanks, so tolerances slipped very slightly in the run up to the takeover sale.”

My guitar is poorly made but that’s ok, because they all were.

Total crap shoot.  Some of the maple 70's are real gems...light and punchy which I've had and regretted selling , others which Ive also had are total dogs...heavy and lifeless. Neck looks good, poly body has been played hard by a punk or head banger..its not easy to wear poly like that.

8 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Total crap shoot.  Some of the maple 70's are real gems...light and punchy which I've had and regretted selling , others which Ive also had are total dogs...heavy and lifeless. Neck looks good, poly body has been played hard by a punk or head banger..its not easy to wear poly like that.

Yes it has been played and then some, I do like that wear on the poly finish though, certainly not a case queen 😏

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

21 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Yes it has been played and then some, I do like that wear on the poly finish though, certainly not a case queen

I suppose we are all different but I quite like some wear on the early fenders, my 71 has been heavily played and it shows it, but not abused, I looked at one that was mint condition and although it was really nice it seemed to lack any character, I don’t like it when the necks have damage though 

52 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

My 72 Jazz was definitely played and has just the right amount of mojo for me. 

My 75 P is very clean apart from some lacquer cracks over the natural finish. Other than that it doesn't look like it's been used much at all. 

04788636-6C1A-4B55-B431-3554EBC66553.jpeg

610854FA-4100-457D-9E62-B412ABBB5906.jpeg

Love the Maple neck, that one has quite a bit of Lacquer worn off the fretboard. I wonder if the can be fixed up to look decent

'74 Jazz popped up on ebay. Not much info given. There's also an odd filled rout on the back, which is not talked about in the description. Interestingly, I accidentally clicked "Buy it now" (honest it was an accident guvner) and it wouldn't let me buy it as the buyer has not specified a shipping charge.

Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325561683571?hash=item4bccfd0e73%3Ag%3ANHkAAOSwzB1kBJVO&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoJnRa2a9FG7Ha3fFp%2BWB0ryNObXK0EY6M%2BCP%2FCNSbpbEflp3Y2eMvxd38kYGlOwncvylvNKihAtkmGQJzNAhHuNidE5hnZad5z1Wnb3p%2FfyouoYLH4L6eCeMG8hk8WSB6PbWRQnYKK0qfokeJqMqBTuoF03ZQqw1bxP7V%2BLHAey3zVefpkgqVo%2Bf8V0dB3Vm3C%2Fi0dc4dTm32bvDBtflLUs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_K99KTWYQ&LH_ItemCondition=4

Edit: Also for sale of Facebook, UK Bass Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade. Without pictures of the rout on the back and still no mention of it. Comments are also turned off.

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 1

How can it be all original if he’s stripped it down and removed the pickups? At the very least it’s been resoldered, which means it’s not all original. 

It’s also had a different guard on there (screw holes).

Dont trust it!

27 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

How can it be all original if he’s stripped it down and removed the pickups? At the very least it’s been resoldered, which means it’s not all original. 

Dont trust it!

I have a 73 P bass which is all original apart from all the hardware. And the J pickup at the bridge. Where do I get to sell it as all original?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Dont trust it!

Maybe I’ve missed it but I don’t see where he’s saying ‘in untouched original condition’
He’s stating that the parts are all the original ones to the bass.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Maybe I’ve missed it but I don’t see where he’s saying ‘in untouched original condition’
He’s stating that the parts are all the original ones to the bass.

Yeah I know the seller really well and he’s a top guy. Not sure he is misleading anyone with the listing 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, walshy said:

Yeah I know the seller really well and he’s a top guy. Not sure he is misleading anyone with the listing 🤷‍♂️

He's not mentioned anything about the rout on the back in his descriptions, either on ebay or Facebook, which I do find odd.

Rob

3 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

He's not mentioned anything about the rout on the back in his descriptions, either on ebay or Facebook, which I do find odd.

Rob

But has put a super clear picture on and it’s easy to see and identify it’s a battery box hole that’s been repaired, People who will be able to afford this bass will do their due diligence and his pics are more than clear enough imo. Anyway I know he’s on here too and I’m sure he will be along to add to this. Looks like a canny bass for the money imo but it’s a jazz so I’m out 

On 23/02/2023 at 08:27, NikNik said:

Andy Baxter prices.

As a follow up, does anyone have experience of whether Andy Baxter sticks rigidly to his listed prices or are they starting points for haggling? Asking for a friend 😎

Edited by Clarky
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Clarky said:

As a follow up, does anyone have experience of whether Andy Baxter sticks rigidly to his listed prices or are they starting points for haggling? Asking for a friend 😎

Uh oh. 

• Haha 1