Why become a member? ×

Your Fave Basschat Bass Players!

Apols if this has been done before but having met quite a few fellow chatters, here's my list of favourite players! In no particular order and without prejudice! Each of these players has a definite quality to their playing that I've personally enjoyed - its not a question of how fast someone can play Mr Pink...

Urb

Funkmunky

Me (of course!)

Funkyhobbit

Poptart

OutToPlayJazz

Marcus

cd_david

ped

dood

Crazykiwi

EBS_Freak

I've seen Ray, Luke and Urb live - all 3 were excellent and very funky! Luke's also a pretty decent backing vocalist.

I've had a listen to Gwil's band online but haven't caught them live yet. They're very cool.

There's that Welsh bassist from Pembrokeshire (I think) who plays in a funk band. I remember thinking his band was really good.

I've checked out some of Alun's stuff online - the guy's really a fantastic player.

But the guy who freaks me out with some of his playing is Dood! I think it's a combination of him being excellent and that his style's evolved from metal, which I haven't really ever been involved in (with the exception of some Sabbath-y stuff).

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='428364' date='Mar 8 2009, 02:19 AM']Apols if this has been done before but having met quite a few fellow chatters, here's my list of favourite players! In no particular order and without prejudice! Each of these players has a definite quality to their playing that I've personally enjoyed - its not a question of how fast someone can play Mr Pink...

Urb

Funkmunky

Me (of course!)

Funkyhobbit

Poptart

OutToPlayJazz

Marcus

cd_david

ped

dood

Crazykiwi

EBS_Freak[/quote]
Are you not gigging or summat ?

I've seen some of these players at bassbash gatherings and was astounded by the standard. I immediately downrated my playing from 'slightly amateurish fumblings' to 'go back and start again' immediately. Having said that I don't think it means squat as I've never seen any of them play in a band context which (for me) is all that really counts for bass - it's a band instrument and no amount of soloing at any level has yet convinced me otherwise.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='428364' date='Mar 8 2009, 02:19 AM']Crazykiwi[/quote]
Wow Nick, I'm flattered. My playing is very meat and potatoes. Thank you!

[quote name='The Funk' post='428368' date='Mar 8 2009, 02:25 AM']But the guy who freaks me out with some of his playing is Dood! I think it's a combination of him being excellent and that his style's evolved from metal, which I haven't really ever been involved in (with the exception of some Sabbath-y stuff).[/quote]
+1

Anyone who hasn't seen him play has really missed out on something. His technique is blistering fast, versatile and he's every bit as talented and skilled as John Myung. His playing is the equivalent of a barrage of cluster bombs, I'm sure there's nothing he couldn't play. Shock and awe baby, shock and awe. And I'm not even a fan of prog metal BTW. :)

I've met a bunch of you - happily I've yet to meet a BCer I haven't got on with - been a pleasure. I know some of you quite well and have seen some of you play. I always try to take something from another players playing but it honestly wouldn't occur to me who's 'best' - and even if it did I wouldn't post it on here in case , by implication , the abscence of someone's name might suggest I don't rate them when it's far more likely I just forgot.

Some of you I've only seen giving a bass the beans at one of the bashes, in a shop or during a trade etc - how can that be compared with watching a guy do his gig? Blokes that support the song they're playing , that's what impressess me.

Fair point Dave, my earlier comments should probably be considered more along the lines of who has impressed me most. Rather than who is best. I haven't seen everyone (far from it) so I can't really comment TBH.

I've not seen any basschatters live (well not that I know of anyway) but Urb posted a video that blew me away - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23322"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23322[/url]

You've got to watch it all...

Thumbo has got some rocking grooves on his band's (brux) ep. Well impressed! That warwick growl and orange goodness delivers!

It just goes to reinforce the fact that off the beaten path there is always a wealth of good music and within BC there is a lot of variety, all of which is pretty damn good.

Basschat album anyone? Compilation styley?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='428364' date='Mar 8 2009, 02:19 AM']Apols if this has been done before but having met quite a few fellow chatters, here's my list of favourite players! In no particular order and without prejudice! Each of these players has a definite quality to their playing that I've personally enjoyed - its not a question of how fast someone can play Mr Pink...

Urb

Funkmunky

Me (of course!)

Funkyhobbit

Poptart

OutToPlayJazz

Marcus

cd_david

ped

dood

Crazykiwi

EBS_Freak[/quote]

I made the list... yay! At least I'm doing something right! (and Nick, you can probably play Mr Pink faster than me, I usually have a B string to watch out for too!)

Edited by EBS_freak

Hey thanks Nick...... that's a fantastic compliment mate.....

I guess my list starts with these guys.......

[b]Nick (Doctor of the Bass)[/b]

one of the very first guys to get the Mark King stuff down pat, and well befor Stuart Claytons books made it easy for anyone to do it. Nick also made the jump from P/T hobbyist to full time working pro giving up a great career to do it.... Balls mate, living the dream. RESPECT

[b]BOSSHOG[/b]

Don't think i've ever seen such effortless tasty licks, I think one of those guys who's just a natural born bass player, such control in his playing. He's always got the very best gear and when you hear him play you think..... that Bass / Amp sounds fab, then you have a go yourself and it sounds FCUK ALL like Mick makes it sound..... Frustrating and motivational all at the same time.

[b]Run for Cover[/b]

Because of this bloke I really have no desire to see Marcus Miller !! I'm sure i'd be underwhelmed if I did. Yeah he's got all of Millers licks and tone off to a T but he's also a lesson to all of us in dedication to the instrument. Knowledge of theory and how to apply it in a musical context is awe inspiring, never really seen anyone get around a fretboard like Dave

[b]Funky Hobbit[/b]

You'll never meet a guy more passionate about the instrument and a really unselfish musician. Funk is in his blood for sure, but also happy to play Rock standards and take the supportive role...... Ever seen anyone play "Smoke on the Water" with an Alembic S2. Mark was the first bloke I ever saw who could play the Level 42 stuff convincingly. A really grounded lad who works hard to develop his understanding of the instrument.

[b]KevBucket[/b]

Great player for sure...... ability to improv around a chord structure as good as anyone i've seen, lots can do that I guess, but THE MOST ENTERTAINING Player i've ever seen !! It's been a pleasure to Dep for you these last few months.

[b]The Bass Doc[/b]

If it's a tight player you want to see with the most gorgeous old school Fender tone then Howard's the man to see, His Hero is Duck Dunn and his band the Stax Bro's do all the Blues Bros / Committments type of material.... I think of all the genre's out there this is the stuff i'd like to do the most. He also puts a mean Bass together too !

[b]The Beeps[/b]

Alex is a top bloke, again has that effortless qualitty to his playing, makes it look too easy when it really isn't !! Been a pro for years and it shows, there's nothing this lad can't play, also knows his way around musical production.

I could go on but my Tea is ready........

My fav is bassninja but that's because I've seen him do some gigs and can rate him in that environment, as opposed to seeing him play at a Bass Bash for example. He's a really fabulous musician who always plays the song first and the fact that he does it in a very musical and funky way just makes him even better IMO..

On a slightly more frivolous note, I have seen some truly great Basschat virtuoso players at the Bass Bashes but [u]no-one[/u] comes close to the guy who 'slapped' his way through about 5 hours at the National Bash last March! Think my ears are still bleeding.. :)

Urb

Funkmunky

Me (of course!)

Funkyhobbit

Poptart

OutToPlayJazz

Marcus

cd_david

ped

dood

Crazykiwi

EBS_Freak[/quote]

+1 for Urb. I think he's the only BC'er I've heard but I was very impressed indeed. And whoever suggested a BassChat album, that's an awesome idea - count me in!!!

Stu

Thanks for the kind words fellas! I never intended for anyone to like my music apart from me! Lovely stuff.

I really like listening to Basschatter's bands. I have listened to pretty much everyone who has posted a link or has a website in their sig, so there are way too many to mention, but I kept going back to listen to Elros' gospel band who were superb...

Cheers
ped