Why become a member? ×

Licking your fingers

beerdragon

I saw a bass player in a band doing it the other week, every thirty seconds or during every number he would lick his plucking fingers, it got so i couldn't my eyes off him, pluck, lick pluck. don't know what it did to the strings. then i read in Mag today John Deacon did it to.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='423536' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:02 PM']I saw a bass player in a band doing it the other week, every thirty seconds or during every number he would lick his plucking fingers, it got so i couldn't my eyes off him, pluck, lick pluck. don't know what it did to the strings. then i read in Mag today John Deacon did it to.[/quote]

I've seen Freddie Washington do it live with Steely Dan too, so it [b]MUST[/b] be a good thing eh? :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Buzz' post='423547' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:17 PM']Why would you want more grip on strings though?

Surely you'd want them to be slippier so you can play easier and faster?[/quote]

yes the fretting hand
i used to rub the fingers of my fretting hand down the side of my nose where it was oily.. :) yuk!!
its an old clarinettist trick to wipe the pinkies down the side of the nose so you can slide over on the pinkie notes so you dont have to think too far ahead which side to take the series of pinkie notes on...clarinettist will know what i mean
if your plucking fingers are dry or rough...or have an elastoplast on them :rolleyes: you get better attack when plucking

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='423585' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:50 PM']Just to clarify, I'm talking about the fingers on Freddie's right/plucking (non-fretting) hand.[/quote]

yes...friction on that hand is good...the string cant break away too easily....have you tried an elastoplast...non waterproof type..acts like a pick

I don't get the "Friction/grip is good" thing. Why would you want to make it harder for your finger to get from one side of the string to the other, ie: Pluck?

Liking a fairly bright and sustained sound, I would change strings every 3 or 4 shows, it tends to be 4 or 5, or sometimes 6 shows these days.

The downside is that the new strings (I use Elites) tend to be a little rough for the first 1/2 hour or so of use.

My remedy: Raise my fingers to my head and use a little "brow grease"...more effective than gob :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='423768' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:48 PM']I don't get the "Friction/grip is good" thing. Why would you want to make it harder for your finger to get from one side of the string to the other, ie: Pluck?

Liking a fairly bright and sustained sound, I would change strings every 3 or 4 shows, it tends to be 4 or 5, or sometimes 6 shows these days.

The downside is that the new strings (I use Elites) tend to be a little rough for the first 1/2 hour or so of use.

My remedy: Raise my fingers to my head and use a little "brow grease"...more effective than gob :)[/quote]

+ 1 :rolleyes:

+ I find the same thing with elites - after that initial breaking in they're great

Guest subaudio

[quote name='jakesbass' post='423540' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:07 PM']I used to watch my mother lick her fingers to turn pages and wondered why... I do it now :)

I once saw a bass player with Chick Corea do it, I guess it provides a little temporary grip hence repeating the process.[/quote]

I saw that guy with Chick Corea too, playing the heck out of a 6 string Smith, I figured it was for cooling and to stop blisters ?

Me too, I put a little vaseline by my nose. A little wipe of the picking fingers really helps reduce friction from sticky, sweaty strings, especially if you dance around a lot on stage. I used to think my strings were the problem. Had the occasional nightmare trying to play bouncy fast passages on really stickt strings live.