Why become a member? ×

Fender Problem ANNNNNOYED!

Musicman20

This is the 2nd time in 4-5 years that Ive ordered a new USA Jazz Bass.

Ok...I was really excited to go and pick my order up this weekend. Ive spent a lot with the store already.

I ask to take a look and try her out. Straight away, notice the front of the bass is dirty. Neck feels like a dream, and very nice tint to it. Nice new case as well.

I then turn it over....absolutely COVERED in scratches. Also looks like they stuck the sticker (Made in USA Jszz Bass etc) back on. Even though the scratchplate still has its peel off cover on it.

I kick off, saying its a second. Store guy trys to tell me its normal for black to be scratched. I say Im not buying it (I only put a deposit down). He brings a new Precision down for the shop floor thats been played...no scratches. He then tries to make out another would cost me more. I refuse. The manager comes over, understand me and looks disgusted at the quality. He didnt hear what the attendant said. He said to leave it and not pay, hes ringing Fender UK tomorrow. Do I:

A) Cancel

:) Get another new one and demand it is perfection

C) Ask for another colour

D) Report the salesman to his manager as well.

What they dont understand is that Im a trainee solicitor, so hell havth no fury like a solicitor trying to be ripped off by a salesman.

Its a good job I inspected it. Even the Pickups were dirty...and didnt seem to line up with the strings.

Overall....your advice?

Ive just bought my Orange stuff from there and I want the 1x15 as well, but the one in store is a bit worse for wear. It doesnt look new, so I bet if i ask to get a new one in they will say its more expensive. Ill make sure the decent manager realises I am actually a very good customer.

Well pissed. I really want a Jazz. The last one I rejected as well for finish reasons cos it really was shoddy.

x

B & D but with a discount thrown in for the hassle.

Or failing that A & D and take your business to somewhere more professional like the Gallery where instruments always seem to have been set up and inspected before going on sale.

"Its normal for it to be scratched up" Is clearly bullsh*t and by saying it the assistant makes the shop as a company look ignorant, dishonest or both. The Owner/manager will want to know how the staff treat customers.

I'd be more pi55ed off at being lied to than the condition as that wasn't under the store's control, although they should have checked it before telling you to pick it up.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Manager seems a more reasonable guy to deal with.

Would you want the bass at a discount - maybe if you could get doscount on the Orange cab too for the same 'shop soiled' reasons you could get it near enough free ie. the bass and the cab for the price you were expecting to pay for the bass.
Course - if it's pristine gear you want , which is fair enough , that's no help.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='422605' date='Mar 1 2009, 07:57 PM']I'd get a refund and get a used one from a basschatter.[/quote]

More money I know, but nice...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42641&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42641&hl=[/url]

In the current climate, there is no need to put up with bad service or product quality and, as an "ex" employer of staff, I would want to know which of my staff are f***ing up my business. I fugure that you'd be helping out the owner by telling him what's happened and why it's cost him a sale. However, if you then accept the bass or cab at a discount, it's sort of going back on your principles as you obviously wanted "unmarked brand new" gear in the first place.

I work with the public,so I know full well that if my co-workers treat customers like sh*te,then they will go elsewhere,and rightly so.
You have been lied to by a complete prick.Get your deposit back,tell the manager why you want your refund,and take your custom to a better shop.

When I went to pick up my 2008 Am.Std.Precision last summer, they fortunately had two identical 3ts/maple ones arrive at the same time. The first one I tried had a nasty dull and brittle large patch of reacted lacquer on the back & weighed (for some reason) significantly more than the other one. So I was lucky enough to be able to choose between two basses at the time, but it shows that there are still quality control issues at Fender. The try before you buy mantle applies as ever.

But as Peter said, there really are so many much better alternatives to buy over a Fender if you want a jazz style bass. Have a look for a used Sadowsky Metro & you'll never look at a Fender again. Same goes for Mike Lull jazzes & so many others.

Rich.

[quote name='Hamster' post='422583' date='Mar 1 2009, 07:39 PM']They haven't kept their side of the verbal contract. Ask for a full refund of your deposit and take your business to a shop with better service.[/quote]
I'm quite sure they couldnt force MusicMan20 to take the scratched one as it clearly doesnt meet section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act. However since its a mass produced item its also fairly certain that a flawless one [b]would[/b] meet his needs so the contract isnt frustrated. I think his position regarding his deposit is questionable legally; although I dont doubt that the shop are honour and goodwill bound to return his deposit if his faith in them is shaken, I dont think that they are yet proved to be incapable of supplying what he wants at the agreed price and within a reasonable timescale, as the manager's actions suggest. Obviously they should also make some kind of concession for the hassle he's been caused, and to retain his future business.

I do think the saleman sounds like a muppet though.

I only ever buy the instrument I played in the shop.
That way, you get to inspect it & play it, so you know [i]exactly[/i] what you're getting. If there are cosmetic issues, haggle over them if it's a great player.
Why try a bass, love it, then order one that may be potentially different, even if it's supposed to be identical?
This is of added importance if the instrument comes from a manufacturer with wayward QC standards.
The only exception to date is my Squier VMJ that my wife bought me for Xmas, and that's been modded..
I get the feeling that the Status I've ordered will be picture perfect, given Rob Green's amazing QC.

In your case, the service you've received is way below par. Demand a refund and walk.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='422545' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:49 PM']What they dont understand is that Im a trainee solicitor, so hell havth no fury like a solicitor trying to be ripped off by a salesman.[/quote]

Totally aside from the other comments - I understand you wanting to stick up for your rights when other people would not even know their rights properly but...

The experienced solicitors I know would only ever bring cases in their own name as an absolute last resort. Have a long think before diving in :)

Purchased mine from Soundslive. They ordered it from Fender Direct as it wasn't in stock. Arrived in A1 condition and, after a little tweaking, plays like a dream. I may have just been lucky though but I have not had any problems with Soundslive.

Edited by basswesty

If i was you i would get my money back and buy secondhand from here, i brought a USA deluxe jazz in virtually unplayed condition for getting on half price, there are some seriously nice basses for sale that will be in better set up and in many cases better condition. I will always buy from basschat members, for USA prices you could get a better bass, set up and flowers+ meal to placate the missus

Surprise. The manager didnt call me.

If they carry on like this they have lost a sale.

I called Fender UK and they said it sounds like a shop soiled bass that they have got from another branch of the store. Esp when I mentioned the stickers looked liked they'd been peeled off.

I know sometimes Fender is a little slack, but I believed them with this one. It looked like early signs of too much belt buckle rash! And the poles didnt match the strings....thats really sh*t. So...if they havent called by tomorrow morning I will go ballistic and demand all my deposit back. They will have also lost a sale with the Orange Bass cab. I asked about it the other day and they said the shop one (scratched mind) would be there normal price. If I ordered in itd be more. Same sales guy again though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='423445' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:33 PM']Surprise. The manager didnt call me.

If they carry on like this they have lost a sale.

I called Fender UK and they said it sounds like a shop soiled bass that they have got from another branch of the store. Esp when I mentioned the stickers looked liked they'd been peeled off.

I know sometimes Fender is a little slack, but I believed them with this one. It looked like early signs of too much belt buckle rash! And the poles didnt match the strings....thats really sh*t. So...if they havent called by tomorrow morning I will go ballistic and demand all my deposit back. They will have also lost a sale with the Orange Bass cab. I asked about it the other day and they said the shop one (scratched mind) would be there normal price. If I ordered in itd be more. Same sales guy again though.[/quote]
They've been sh*t,get you cash back,go and spend someplace else....but dont be a cocksure nobhead,be a pro,its the job you are a student in learning for,keeping your head is half the game....Dont go mental,just remain calm,stiff,but calm.

Ive had Solicitors/Lawyers trying the rant at me (Guildford Law school...thankyou),and its the easy way to get hurled from a shop for harrassment and verbal abuse of staff...regardless of your money...or the situation..you might get a simple,f*** off,come back when you have calmed down and can behave like normal human being.

[quote name='ARGH' post='423470' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:00 PM']They've been sh*t,get you cash back,go and spend someplace else....but dont be a cocksure nobhead,be a pro,its the job you are a student in learning for,keeping your head is half the game....Dont go mental,just remain calm,stiff,but calm.

Ive had Solicitors/Lawyers trying the rant at me (Guildford Law school...thankyou),and its the easy way to get hurled from a shop for harrassment and verbal abuse of staff...regardless of your money...or the situation..you might get a simple,f*** off,come back when you have calmed down and can behave like normal human being.[/quote]

LOL yeah I know what you mean. I wouldnt rant and rave, I just know the ins and outs of the legal side of my position. Which I suppose anyone does in this day in age.

Manager called, much better attitude. Fender Rep is calling him back with a date on a brand new one. He has no idea why the condition was so bad. He is also asking one thats come virtually straight in from USA and is still in every bit of packaging.

I then said, that if we could sort this out and get a very pristine black with maple Jazz USA like I wanted, I would consider ordering the Orange 1x15 if it was brand new in.

See what happens! Cheers for all the input!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='423503' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:35 PM']LOL yeah I know what you mean. I wouldnt rant and rave, I just know the ins and outs of the legal side of my position. Which I suppose anyone does in this day in age.

Manager called, much better attitude. Fender Rep is calling him back with a date on a brand new one. He has no idea why the condition was so bad. He is also asking one thats come virtually straight in from USA and is still in every bit of packaging.

I then said, that if we could sort this out and get a very pristine black with maple Jazz USA like I wanted, I would consider ordering the Orange 1x15 if it was brand new in.

See what happens! Cheers for all the input![/quote]

Cool, curious to see how that turns out. Interesting the bit about it coming straight from the US: the ones I was getting were coming (so they said) from an European distributor in Holland. It's hard to know who to blame, the US side or the European middle men... In my case, I blame basses 1 and 3 on the US and bass 2 on Holland :-)