Jump to content
Left leaderboard
ffffoureyes

Go vintage or keep it modern?

Recommended Posts

I'm over here from the 6-string dark side. I'm looking for a studio bass and I'm completely, utterly, conflicted. 

 

In one corner we have this very familiar sight, a nice Squier P. The very definition of 'it'll do the job!'. Will probably need to spend extra to get some flats on it too. In the other corner, I've stupidly fallen in love with this, like I seem to do every MIJ instrument. Either would be going DI into some nice preamps. I play alternative, slower, whinging music and love the thumpy old school sound. Half of my brain is saying "don't be a Richard, just buy the Squier and be done with it." while my other hemisphere is begging me to get something with some more """"""""mojo"""""""". 

 

Any input would be wonderful, thank you guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squier all day long :) 

Just can’t beat the versatility of a P.
The Greco might be nice but is too limited IMO. But if that’s the tone you want, that’s the tone you want! 

Oh yeah, I’m selling some lovely D’Addario Chromes flats in the classifieds ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

Squier all day long :) 

Just can’t beat the versatility of a P.
The Greco might be nice but is too limited IMO. But if that’s the tone you want, that’s the tone you want! 

Oh yeah, I’m selling some lovely D’Addario Chromes flats in the classifieds ;) 

That's what I'm leaning towards. Also, love the hustle. If I buy the Squier, consider it done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 70s classic vibe Squier. Flats and foam mute under the ashtray = fab tone. Lovely feel to the neck. Just brill for the money. Can't recommend it enough. However, mine is slightly older model with the ashtray and brass saddles. Don't know if it is any different now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but feel that Greco is a tad overpriced. I've seen vintage violin basses cheaper. The mid range Hofners are cheaper and really good. Plus the Squiers are easier to shift if you ever need to sell it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

I have the 70s classic vibe Squier. Flats and foam mute under the ashtray = fab tone. Lovely feel to the neck. Just brill for the money. Can't recommend it enough. However, mine is slightly older model with the ashtray and brass saddles. Don't know if it is any different now. 

 

That's my plan exactly! Thanks for the input. 

 

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I can't help but feel that Greco is a tad overpriced. I've seen vintage violin basses cheaper. The mid range Hofners are cheaper and really good. Plus the Squiers are easier to shift if you ever need to sell it on.

 

I feel that way too. The Squier is 400 new to my door, 600 on the Greco. Not a small leap! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ffffoureyes said:

 

I feel that way too. The Squier is 400 new to my door, 600 on the Greco. Not a small leap! 

For the difference you could get one of these as well as the Squier.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass.htm

Edit: Or you could if they weren't sold out. Sorry 😕

Edited by MrCrane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ffffoureyes said:

 

That's my plan exactly! Thanks for the input. 

 

 

I feel that way too. The Squier is 400 new to my door, 600 on the Greco. Not a small leap! 

This post from another thread might help as there are differences between mine and the newer ones. I assume the new version will be as great if not possibly better. Although the neck on mine is not chunky at all. 

On 17/03/2020 at 12:20, jrixn1 said:

After an eight-month wait, I just picked up one of these (from GAK).  Seems nice.  The neck is gloss, and not super chunky (front to back).  Compared to the original "70s Classic Vibe" series (going on spec here - never owned one myself):

  • the main reason I got it: walnut colour! (previously only available in black)
  • body wood is nato (previously basswood); my cheap digital kitchen scales claim 3.76kg which is nice
  • nut is slightly wider at 1.685" (previously 1.650")
  • I like the new larger "TV" logo
  • no tugbar or bridge cover
  • saddles are no longer brass
  • I think knobs changed from slightly rounder ones to now the proper flat-top ones.

 

 

2020_0317_12482100-01.900.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The violin basses are difficult to get fully intonated because of the floating bridge, and it does one sound.

A P bass is the cornerstone of the recorded bass sound.

You should get a Vintage V4 reissued P bass, you'll get a very good quality bass, with very good vintage bass tone, for very little money.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-V4-Reissued-Bass-MN-Vintage-White/S6K

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To quote:

 

In the other corner, I've stupidly fallen in love with this, like I seem to do every MIJ instrument

The underlined bit says it for me, fallen in love with an instrument means buy it and buy it now to me. Instruments are tools for the job, find ones you love and it makes the job so much more enjoyable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

To quote:

 

In the other corner, I've stupidly fallen in love with this, like I seem to do every MIJ instrument

The underlined bit says it for me, fallen in love with an instrument means buy it and buy it now to me. Instruments are tools for the job, find ones you love and it makes the job so much more enjoyable. 

I agree totally Lozz, however I fall in love too easily. I never wanted a hareem - honestly 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P-Belly Evans said:

This post from another thread might help as there are differences between mine and the newer ones. I assume the new version will be as great if not possibly better. Although the neck on mine is not chunky at all. 

 

Thanks! 

 

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The violin basses are difficult to get fully intonated because of the floating bridge, and it does one sound.

A P bass is the cornerstone of the recorded bass sound.

You should get a Vintage V4 reissued P bass, you'll get a very good quality bass, with very good vintage bass tone, for very little money.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-V4-Reissued-Bass-MN-Vintage-White/S6K

 

Oh god, intonation issues on a studio bass? No thank you. Didn't know they had a floating bridge. 

 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

To quote:

 

In the other corner, I've stupidly fallen in love with this, like I seem to do every MIJ instrument

The underlined bit says it for me, fallen in love with an instrument means buy it and buy it now to me. Instruments are tools for the job, find ones you love and it makes the job so much more enjoyable. 

 

Unfortunately, as above, I fall in love with everything. I think this is one to play safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

To quote:

 

In the other corner, I've stupidly fallen in love with this, like I seem to do every MIJ instrument

The underlined bit says it for me, fallen in love with an instrument means buy it and buy it now to me. Instruments are tools for the job, find ones you love and it makes the job so much more enjoyable. 

Did you just advise someone not to buy a P bass????? 🤯

😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Did you just advise someone not to buy a P bass????? 🤯

😂

Leaves more for me 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I would go for a Yamaha BB234. It will be as good if not better than a Squier, cheaper and has a nice mix of vintage and modern. Spend the change on some good strings. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_bb234_vw.htm 

Not a bad shout that. I tried one of the BB range at fair deal in brumtown. Can't remember which but it was less than 300 with the silver pickup surrounds, which were the only thing to put me off it. In hindsight, I should have bought it. Did the same with a lovely white Rockinbetter - the binding looked a bit shonky for £500.....Still feel a bit of a numpty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you put foam under the strings and maybe use flats any P or Jazz will sound super retro and thumpy as well! And then you will still have the option for more open sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a studio bass, then I'd actually say you should look at something with a P/J setup. Squier do a few, as do quite a few other manufacturers.

If you fell in love with the Violin style bass, then look for another one. The Harley Benton from Thomann would be a good start. Hofner do some very reasonably priced versions as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That squier at nearly 400 quid is way overpriced IMO. And I'm talking as someone who's spent daft money on an 82 squier MIJ. 

You'd be better off with all due respect to get one secondhand on here or something similar but from a different brand. If I had to start all over again (and wanted to buy new) I'd be looking at the Sire Marcus Miller P7, super super versatile and great quality

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_p7_alder_4_aw_2nd_gen.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqJ_1BRBZEiwAv73uwEbgoULfkPVixsnhCqRb7vfj117wvYwsbQshfrME2ErCrwMP5hSB9BoCV8YQAvD_BwE

But as I said, second hand is the way to go to get the best bang for buck, whatever you do good luck and welcome to the rebel alliance!

PS there's a fender MIM on here for £450 that might be what you're after

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thomann

Squier P/J: £198

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_affinity_p_bass_pj_ilbk.htm

Harley Benton Violin: £129

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass.htm

Hofner Ignition Violin: £259

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hoefner_ignition_beatles_bass_vsb.htm

Have both a "modern" bass and a "classic" bass

 

Edited by Skybone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only just seen this thread - IMO good call not to buy the (somewhat overpriced) Greco because you'd probably have been sorely disappointed if you wanted it to sound like a proper 60s Hofner. The pickps, despite appearances, are single-coil Maxons, exactly the same as these:

bitsajazz2.thumb.jpg.0e54940acb3bb299574956f19a04eab2.jpg

These are quite bright-sounding pickups, used in many early 70s MIJ basses (intended to be hidden under covers) and can sound quite authentic in Jazz or Rickenbacker copies - less so in other basses.

Much as I love the old MIJ stuff, that Squier's a great choice - and a bargain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would go for the Squier, im sure the Greco is probably nice but I have a Hofner that is not being used as I brought it, fell in love with the tone and then realised after getting back into gigging that I am P bass, overdrive and rounds kind of person, I can get the Hofner to sound aggressive with some extensive eqing but on the P all it takes is the right set of strings and I can get either aggressive or thumpy and everything inbetween, also the string spacing on the Hofner style basses tends to be very tight which can make it difficult to switch between basses.

Edited by shoulderpet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...