Why become a member? ×

Wireless rigs

Graham Milton

9 hours ago, Paul S said:

Strange.  I've had the Boss WL-50 since it came out, used it at various venues and never had an issue apart from one bass that had a recessed jack socket, which was the fault of the bass not the bug. 

My guitarist bought an expensive Sennheiser unit but the last two gigs has had to switch to a lead.

Funny old things, these wireless.

Yeh, done loads of gigs, loads of stages, then just a little pub and it went bananas. Got me thinking I've done something wrong. So I'll have to double check it.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Nux wireless system for guitar/bass? I use the sax version when doing the ska set with my current band and it works very well, excellent design with an additional battery in the carry case for emergency tx/Rx charging...

The new Shure GLXD16+ has arrived. 

Bit of a pain that there's no manual inside the box. You need to download it.

Transmitter on charge first and once that's done i'll give it a go.

Have to say its pretty solid built. A lot sturdier than i expected so that can only be a plus in my book.

I've now downloaded the manual so i'm raring to go.

Dave

Had a play at home with the new Shure GLXD16+ and its a fantastic bit of kit. No change in tone going from wireless to cable which is something i hadn't really noticed with my previous wireless but with this its actually noticeable  in comparison with old wireless.

Built like a brick s**t house both transmitter and receiver. Pretty easy to follow once i got the basic knowledge of the buttons but it really sets itself up straight from the box once you link the Tx to the Rx.

Tuner is pretty good too and will be easy to read on a dull stage area. This is the pedalboard wireless receiver version. 

Few criticisms being the transmitter belt / strap clip. Its not great and leaves the Tx wobbling about on my strap so i've used the holder from the old system and its a perfect fit and the cable to your bass has a straight jack plug where an angled one would suit me better but its not a big deal..

Not the cheapest wireless on the market but i'm very impressed with the quality and operation at home so far. 11-12 hrs battery use on Tx.

Will take to rehearsals this weekend and then a gig week after.

Something that is a nice touch on this version is that if the transmitter goes down for any reason you can just plug a lead into the receiver unit and it acts like any other pedal (tuner) rather than re-arranging pedalboards on the hoof at a gig.  

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Something that is a nice touch on this version is that if the transmitter goes down for any reason you can just plug a lead into the receiver unit and it acts like any other pedal (tuner) rather than re-arranging pedalboards on the hoof at a gig.  

I've had this unit for a fair few years now and never realised that...! 

1 minute ago, peteb said:

I've had this unit for a fair few years now and never realised that...! 

Its only the new + version that has an additional socket next to the power in socket. Think this version has only just been released recently.

Mine has 2 jack sockets and mains socket at the end.

Dave

4 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

For some inexplicable reason, I'm really hankering after one of these new Shure units. No idea why, I'm usually rooted to the same spot on the stage and if I try to venture too far away, the drummer throws things at me!

The main reason i use wireless in the Glam band is the outfits and the platform boots. Its very easy to trip over cables when wearing platform boots. Removes that worry.

I dont normally use it with the punk covers band unless its a larger stage where i can move about on but its usually pub gigs with the punk band.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

The main reason i use wireless in the Glam band is the outfits and the platform boots. Its very easy to trip over cables when wearing platform boots. Removes that worry.

I dont normally use it with the punk covers band unless its a larger stage where i can move about on but its usually pub gigs with the punk band.

Dave

Aww.. You tripping over in your platform boots would be priceless ! 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Its like falling of a kerb in your sleep. You do panic a bit.

Trying to find the buttons on my pedals is even funnier :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/04/2023 at 16:40, jimmyb625 said:

For some inexplicable reason, I'm really hankering after one of these new Shure units. No idea why, I'm usually rooted to the same spot on the stage and if I try to venture too far away, the drummer throws things at me!

I use wireless for everything including rehearsals - saves stepping on or getting caught in a lead, plus I can walk over to the mixer to play with vocal levels. I use them for home practice too. I have a cheap Lekato twin bug wireless for rehearsals and home (though I have used it for gigs too) and either a Smoothhound or a Line 6 G50 for gigs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

@dmccombe7 I’m considering getting the GLXD16+ in the near future. Just wondered if you had anything to add to your initial comments after a couple of months of use?

Get one. You won't be disappointed.

I've found the clips on the transmitters to be very solid indeed, although I don't clip them to a strap, I clip mine to my belt or back pocket. Never had it come off yet.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2023 at 22:45, Waddo Soqable said:

As someone who's been there and done that a couple of times (tripping over pyro pods on very dark stages back in my KISS tribute days) it's a LONG, painful way down!! ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, joeystrange said:

@dmccombe7 I’m considering getting the GLXD16+ in the near future. Just wondered if you had anything to add to your initial comments after a couple of months of use?

Best move i ever made. Few things make me say that.

Pros :-

1. i never get any interference.

2. it doesn't affect my tone

3. transmitter battery is charged via USB either from mains or any other source. Receiver is mains powered.

4. simple to use, literally plug and play, its honestly that easy.

5. built in tuner saves setting up an additional pedal.

6. battery can be charged any time in its cycle, can be used direct from box. You don't need to fully charge first or run flat and recharge several times.

7. if for any reason Tx fails or battery runs flat, the pedal has a jack input you can use and still have the use of the tuner.

8. i get approx 10-12 hrs use from the battery

9. if you forget to turn Tx off it automatically switches off after 1 hour if not being used.

10. it transmits 3 frequencies at same time and if the selected one fails or picks up interference it switches over fast enough you wont hear anything.

Cons :-

1. cable from Tx to bass is very thin and may get damaged after a few yrs of use. I intend buying a spare cable.

I plug it in and totally forget about it to be honest. Its also built like a tank both pedal and Tx. Its just the small cable thing that lets it down a bit.

One other personal opinion i didn't really like the belt / strap clip but i was always gonna use my holster that's fitted to my strap.

Highly recommended IMHO

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, cetera said:

As someone who's been there and done that a couple of times (tripping over pyro pods on very dark stages back in my KISS tribute days) it's a LONG, painful way down!! ;)

My boots are nowhere near as high as yours plus you're a good bit taller than me so you have my sympathy there. Luckily you never fell over any time i saw you.

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Best move i ever made. Few things make me say that.

Pros :-

1. i never get any interference.

2. it doesn't affect my tone

3. transmitter battery is charged via USB either from mains or any other source. Receiver is mains powered.

4. simple to use, literally plug and play, its honestly that easy.

5. built in tuner saves setting up an additional pedal.

6. battery can be charged any time in its cycle, can be used direct from box. You don't need to fully charge first or run flat and recharge several times.

7. if for any reason Tx fails or battery runs flat, the pedal has a jack input you can use and still have the use of the tuner.

8. i get approx 10-12 hrs use from the battery

9. if you forget to turn Tx off it automatically switches off after 1 hour if not being used.

10. it transmits 3 frequencies at same time and if the selected one fails or picks up interference it switches over fast enough you wont hear anything.

Cons :-

1. cable from Tx to bass is very thin and may get damaged after a few yrs of use. I intend buying a spare cable.

I plug it in and totally forget about it to be honest. Its also built like a tank both pedal and Tx. Its just the small cable thing that lets it down a bit.

Highly recommended IMHO

Dave

Completely agree with all of this. The first thing I did was get a new cable from designacable, as I wanted an angled one, instead of the straight one it comes with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Completely agree with all of this. The first thing I did was get a new cable from designacable, as I wanted an angled one, instead of the straight one it comes with. 

That's another CON for me too. I would have preferred the angled jack.

Did you have to give them any details of the cable or do they have them on file ?

Dave