Why become a member? ×

Wireless rigs

Graham Milton

11 hours ago, Savethedaves said:

+1 for the Smooth Hound! Great range and zero latency. 👍🏼

No, the Smooth Hound has relatively high latency compared with other wireless systems. On it's own most people won't notice it. Combine it with one or more digital devices in your signal chain and your experience might not be so good.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 23:52, Fuzzbass2000 said:

Line 6 G30 and G55 plus handful of rechargeable batteries.  Can't think of a time they've let me down... and how much I hate having a cable flapping around at my feet when I don't have my wireless rig.

This.  I have the same.  My G55 is racked up in a 2u rack with my Sennheiser Wireless Mic and IEM.

Its never skipped a beat! 

20 hours ago, peteb said:

I've got a Shure GLXD wireless system, which the best I've found for bass (and I've tried a fair few over the years)... 

Second for the Shure. Its consistent and built out of military grad material. It will survive anything.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thought i would re-instate this to see what's new on the market.

I've had a few minor niggles with interference and buzz thru my Smooth hound and been looking at what's out there.

What Shure GLXD are you guys using as there seems to be a few different versions with numbers after the letters and some discontinued now.

I use a pedal board in one of my bands so i'm thinking a floor mounted receiver might be better for me otherwise i'd need to run cables from the amp to my Roland Mfx unit and back again. 

Any updates welcome.

Dave

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've had a few minor niggles with interference and buzz thru my Smooth hound and been looking at what's out there.

What Shure GLXD are you guys using as there seems to be a few different versions with numbers after the letters and some discontinued now.

I use a pedal board in one of my bands so i'm thinking a floor mounted receiver might be better for me otherwise i'd need to run cables from the amp to my Roland Mfx unit and back again. 

Any updates welcome.

Dave

I believe that mine is the GLX-D 16 

Certainly the best wireless system I've ever used (and I've had a few), although it does seem to have been discontinued now. 

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Any updates welcome.

Dave

I think the different letters after the name designate country/wireless compliance/included PSU etc. The latest version is the GLXD16+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not saying this just because I’m selling one on here (I have two), but I use the SubZero Guitar Bug system (from Gear4Music). Works really well, no latency I can detect, black bug for instrument & white bug for amp which I find very helpful, plus runs on 5.4 so no interference from taxis/ambulances/pizza deliveries etc. 

Now that it's 2023 and probably 10 years have passed since I first asked the question, is anyone doing a digital wireless system with a digital output at the receiver end for those of us whose next item in the the signal chain is a digital device with digital inputs?

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I believe that mine is the GLX-D 16 

Certainly the best wireless system I've ever used (and I've had a few), although it does seem to have been discontinued now. 

Looks like it has and possibly replaced by the GLXD + which has dual band transmission.

Shure do others like GLXD4, 14 but not sure the main differences unless its the number of channels.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like it has and possibly replaced by the GLXD + which has dual band transmission.

Shure do others like GLXD4, 14 but not sure the main differences unless its the number of channels.

Dave

I think that the difference is that the receiver for the GLX-D 16 is a floor pedal type unit, while the 14 is an amp top type unit with antennae. The transmitters for both system look similar at a quick glance.  

I'm glad to see that there are new GLXD+ units on the market to replace the old GLDX systems. 

• Like 1

Finally made a decision to go for the new Shure GLXD16+. Expensive but should be reliable and last a long time. Bought from Guitar Guitar who had them in stock and will be delivered Tues. That gives me a chance to test at a rehearsal next weekend and a gig following weekend.

Dual band version and seems to get good reviews on the earlier version and from what i could find on this version.

3 yr warranty so that has to be a good thing.

Thanks as always for all the advice guys. Always appreciated.

Dave

image.png.ece59d3a44ecd2ebfef4e106004d29a1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, la bam said:

Still using my boss wd50. Still doing well. Just remember with any systems like these that auto scan, to put back in the transmitter before starting so it can reach for the best frequency now the room is full.

Not sure what you mean ?

I have a Smooth Hound for yrs and just fire it up and away it goes. Are the Shure systems different. I thought you just pressed a button and it auto scanned ?

Dave

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not sure what you mean ?

I have a Smooth Hound for yrs and just fire it up and away it goes. Are the Shure systems different. I thought you just pressed a button and it auto scanned ?

Dave

No, with the boss there is no manual scanning at all. Everytime you plug it in to the receiver it auto checks and finds the best possible signal.

This stops it finding a good signal when the room is empty, then that freq being busier later on when the crowd is in.

It's literally, plug in, let its light stop flashing and you should be good.

Just as an update.  I met Chris from Smooth Hound at The Guitar Show in March, I specifically went to that stand as I hoped to try one out.

He said that he's not making the Smooth Hound units at the moment, and hasn't been for a year or so. However he does hope to start making them available again later this year.

Check the web site periodically if you specifically want that unit.

From what i can gather the GLXD16+ transmits on 3 different frequencies at same time and if one sees interference its automatically switches to the next stronger channel. Until i get the unit and the manual i'm kinda assuming some of this from what i've seen in youtube clips and read in reviews.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

From what i can gather the GLXD16+ transmits on 3 different frequencies at same time and if one sees interference its automatically switches to the next stronger channel. Until i get the unit and the manual i'm kinda assuming some of this from what i've seen in youtube clips and read in reviews.

Dave 

Does the shure work with active basses? My flippin boss wd50 hated mine tonight. Had to use a cable for the first time in 5 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, la bam said:

Does the shure work with active basses? My flippin boss wd50 hated mine tonight. Had to use a cable for the first time in 5 years.

As far as i know and at £550 it had better. Not seen any negative reviews or comments on it or its predecessor.

It has a gain value you can adjust for each bass you use but until i get it i wont know for shure 😂

What was happening with your boss WD50 when using an active bass. Could you not flick the bass onto passive mode see if it made a difference. ?

Dave

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

As far as i know and at £550 it had better. Not seen any negative reviews or comments on it or its predecessor.

It has a gain value you can adjust for each bass you use but until i get it i wont know for shure 😂

What was happening with your boss WD50 when using an active bass. Could you not flick the bass onto passive mode see if it made a difference. ?

Dave

Was just a really weird one. Its work perfectly before at practice, but last night at soundcheck it was just like a broken microphone. Thatbwas in passive too. Dont know what it was. I'll give it a look over this week.

• Sad 1

Strange.  I've had the Boss WL-50 since it came out, used it at various venues and never had an issue apart from one bass that had a recessed jack socket, which was the fault of the bass not the bug. 

My guitarist bought an expensive Sennheiser unit but the last two gigs has had to switch to a lead.

Funny old things, these wireless.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, la bam said:

I've never had any problems using active basses with the Shure. 

• Like 1