Why become a member? ×

Songs with Odd Time Signatures

mcgraham

I was going to post this in the technique section, but realised it didn't fit.

Some artists can play over mindbendingly bizarre time signatures, e.g. John McLaughlin, whilst others have written songs that don't feel like they are odd, e.g. Take 5, Mission Impossible Theme, numerous songs by Dream Theater. I'm fascinated by both groups, i.e. those who can feel a pulse over pieces that really lack a natural groove in their raw state, and those who can write songs in a truly different time signature but that still 'feel' natural and normal.

One of my favourites is 'Just So Only More So' by John McLaughlin. I also like 'Sacrificed Sons' by Dream Theater, 'Fives' and 'Sevens' by Guthrie Govan, '(A) Love Eternal' by Joe Satriani (I think that's the one I'm thinking of). All of these have a (more or less) natural feeling time signature that is not just in straight 4. I'm sure there's more but those are the ones that leap to mind right now.

What other ones are there out there? What are your favourites?

Mark

Pat Travers - "Heat in The Street"

[url="http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&q=%22pat+travers%22+%22heat+in+the+street%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=1TmcScipNeS1jAfP-NTcBQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#"]http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=e...4&ct=title#[/url]

Music from Balkan use a lot of what we normally would call odd time signatures, but which does not seem odd at all to them ;) . Here is an example from a norwegian band called Farmers Market (on this occation including Michael Brecker). Their concerts are always a great mixture of balkan, folk and jazz combined with a big dose of humour.

shoreline by broken social scene is really good, in 7/4 but it takes you a while to realise. another classic is take 5 by dave brubeck, obviously in 5/4. quite a few of the tunes previously mentioned are in 4 but have a slightly wierd pulse - the birthday party one is actually in 4.
there are quite few funk tracks which are supposedly in 'open' time - which means bootsy wasn't counting so it ended up as 17/16 or something wierd, the only example i can think of is the crunge by led zep, funky as hell, nuts time signature but feels completely right, so easy to play and groove to, which i guess is the point.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UG3B57Ky1g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UG3B57Ky1g[/url]

Edited by harryharold

[quote name='harryharold' post='414447' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:16 PM']shoreline by broken social scene is really good, in 7/4 but it takes you a while to realise. another classic is take 5 by dave brubeck, obviously in 5/4. quite a few of the tunes previously mentioned are in 4 but have a slightly wierd pulse - the birthday party one is actually in 4.[/quote]

It is? I tried counting it in 4 and it just wouldn't fit. Stick it on your ipod and go for a walk, the 'one' is alternately on left and right foot.

Maybe i have odd feet...

[quote name='bremen' post='414455' date='Feb 19 2009, 04:19 PM']It is? I tried counting it in 4 and it just wouldn't fit. Stick it on your ipod and go for a walk, the 'one' is alternately on left and right foot.

Maybe i have odd feet...[/quote]

yeh i know, its not until you walk with it that you realise, unless its on a compilation and its called 7/4 shoreline, i hate that they do that, i missed the joy of discovering a weird time signature.