Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

I'm writing these days but when I "paint myself into a corner" I use Todd Rundgren as a pry-bar. Don't actually "write"  like him, but as a "OMG! THAT CHORUS! THOSE CHORD CHANGES!", I steal from him-just a way-around-things-that make-me-grin kinda' thing. So I'm writing/learning Martys Mental Hygiene Music. And believe me, it's easier to hear this music than play it.

• Like 1

after years of neglecting my playing I decided I needed some finger excercise and am now regretting my choice of jaco's take on donna lee.

Im treating it as a study piece rather than aiming for performance

Ive got the head under my fingers (at about 170bpm rather than jaco's 220bpm) and am cautiously moving forwards

I reckon that with dilligence I may be able to claim competence around this time next year

Have already come to the conclusion that neils henning orsted pedersen and joe pass' 350ish bpm take on it is not up for consideration

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers Band.

I'd had a bit of a listen, and we jammed it a couple of times at rehearsal last night, now I've got to learn it properly, and we're going to sound check it on Friday ahead of a gig where we have 7 or 8 new songs lined up. Just a modest mix of 11/8 and 6/8 with a few tempo changes...

It's a good blues venue that's 'on the circuit' so no pressure then...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am currently learning We Are The Champions because my guitarist thinks it’ll be a great singalong anthem to slot in the set. 

I hate it. It’s dull, and it won’t work with our 90’s rock/metal/grunge thing. It’s going to stick out like a sore thumb. I’m having a mental block over it, presumably because I hate it so much. 

I can sense a band discussion on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Am currently learning We Are The Champions because my guitarist thinks it’ll be a great singalong anthem to slot in the set. 

I hate it. It’s dull, and it won’t work with our 90’s rock/metal/grunge thing. It’s going to stick out like a sore thumb. I’m having a mental block over it, presumably because I hate it so much. 

I can sense a band discussion on the horizon.

You might hate it, but I wouldn't describe it as dull. It has some interesting segments in it as recorded, as do most John Deacon bass lines.

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You might hate it, but I wouldn't describe it as dull. It has some interesting segments in it as recorded, as do most John Deacon bass lines.

Dull is subjective. It’s a plodding, low energy song.

I don’t despise Queen (whilst also not being a fan) - they have far better songs to choose IMO.

9 minutes ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

Dull is subjective. It’s a plodding, low energy song.

I don’t despise Queen (whilst also not being a fan) - they have far better songs to choose IMO.

Of course, dullness and dislike are both subjective, but I play it in my Queen tribute (obviously) and it's also in my rock covers band set. It never fails to be a great sing-along.

It may, however, feel slightly out of place amongst a 90's rock/metal/grunge thing.

• Like 1

I've been playing this in our band for a longer than I care to admit without learning the original line. Just doing that now and feel that I'm gaining a lot from going through it and in particular making sure I get the different rhythms right. 

I'm just relearning the set for our amped up acoustic band as we haven't gigged properly since lockdown. 

I still haven't built up the strength I had back then but I'm finally back up to speed with Rio... on doublebass. 🙈

• Like 1

A child drummer in the church asked me to learn Come Together by the Beatles, and Mr Brightside (because it has a "great bassline").  

Happy to learn these new songs, if it encourages her to play drums in a band. 

I am still trying to think of songs for her to learn, for which I already know the bassline.  Maybe Good Times by Chic, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, or I Wish.

We are currently leaning a few new ones including Get the Fink out by Extreme. Really fun line to lean. A bit challenging in places but the hardest bit is getting us all to play the run downs in sync. 

4 new songs to learn for a rare rehearsal on Sun with the Glam covers band

Suzi Q - If You Can't Give me Love.

BCR -  Summerlove Sensation

Bryan Ferry - In Crowd

Sweet - The Sixteens

Nothing hard but we need to polish them up before putting in our set list.

Dave