Why become a member? ×

Help Under Attack

stewblack

GAS seems to afflict guitarists and bass players more than most other musicians.  My wife has had her oboe for more than 30 years and it wasn't new when she bought it.  The other members of her orchestra have violins/cellos and the like which are decades old and they have no intention of replacing them.  I once chatted to sax player Snake Davis and his chosen instrument looked as though it had fallen from the back of a lorry and been run over by a following car.  He loved it!

Why is it that guitarists and bass players are always looking for the next shiny object?

1 hour ago, LeftyP said:

GAS seems to afflict guitarists and bass players more than most other musicians.  My wife has had her oboe for more than 30 years and it wasn't new when she bought it.  The other members of her orchestra have violins/cellos and the like which are decades old and they have no intention of replacing them.  I once chatted to sax player Snake Davis and his chosen instrument looked as though it had fallen from the back of a lorry and been run over by a following car.  He loved it!

Why is it that guitarists and bass players are always looking for the next shiny object?

Because some form of alchemy takes place when a bass or guitar is made. Two Fender Precisions, essentially the same instrument, can both appeal to a player who already has one. 

Change the colour or the shape and you have something no one can resist. What oboe did your wife's hero play? Does someone make a copy of it with her hero's signature on it? No probably not but I can have a pink Bruce Thomas, a mirrored Phil Lynott an OLP Tony Levin a ric like Foxton, a pbass like Jamerson. 

And on and on. 

Edited by stewblack

Ukes are the same. I buy instruments for the effect/sound I'm looking for, I've got a third baritone Uke on its way which I'll tune to GCEA make playing along with other ukes a hell of a lot easier as everything is arranged for that tuning, of my 3 current bases the fretless uke bass gives a nice old fashioned sound and is sweet to play but a cab be a bit temperamental,the acoustic is great for noodling and working things out, the Ibanez just puts a bloody great smile on my face I plan fo add a fretless Ibanez in the next couple of months so I can have the power of the electric with the flexibility of the Uke bass. After that I THINK/hope I'll run out of GAS. For now my aspirations are way beyond my liability. 😜

55 minutes ago, stewblack said:

You know what, I think you may have spotted the flaw. 

Just looked in the mirror, huh?

I found it easier just to give in.  I started the year enthusiastically enough by joining in the 'gear abstinence challenge' but, having failed on a technicality (an equal value trade) I dived headfirst into my GAS and ended up buying 6 basses, 3 amps, a new cab etc etc.... Never say never.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

I found it easier just to give in.  I started the year enthusiastically enough by joining in the 'gear abstinence challenge' but, having failed on a technicality (an equal value trade) I dived headfirst into my GAS and ended up buying 6 basses, 3 amps, a new cab etc etc.... Never say never.

Yep........i started 2019 being really strict with myself and limiting where I looked so that I wouldn't fall victim to GAS. Just like Paul, Stewie and many others.......I failed miserably. Ended up with 8 additional basses, one combo, a HX Stomp and I'm happier than ever. I reasoned that you only live once!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've got a plan @stewblack, if it is indeed Japonic and clanky then you're not actually buying it. I'm buying it but you're going to lend me the money and look after it until I can collect it. The return for this favour is that if you fall in love with it whilst in your possession then I'll let you keep it and we'll call it quits in the loan.

How does that sound? 😁

1 minute ago, Maude said:

I've got a plan @stewblack, if it is indeed Japonic and clanky then you're not actually buying it. I'm buying it but you're going to lend me the money and look after it until I can collect it. The return for this favour is that if you fall in love with it whilst in your possession then I'll let you keep it and we'll call it quits in the loan.

How does that sound? 😁

Perfect solution. Thank you for your consideration. 

• Haha 3