Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris signature bass

lushuk

[quote]Basically though it's just a CIJ P-bass with about £100 of after-market parts and some scribble on the headstock.[/quote]

Guess thats about right, Fender seem to have gone mad with their priceing see other thread about the £grand£ roadworn series.

But I guess if your a Steve Harris fan/tribute its cool, but expensive!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='384651' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:32 AM']He was a [url="http://www.lado-guitars.com/catalogue.htm"]Lado[/url] boy briefly too.[/quote]

A snip at $5495 for that SH sig bass.

The 4 string Marcus Miller Jazz is CIJ as well as the Sting sig. Maybe something to do with the style of bass (ie good) makes it easier to produce it there.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='385770' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Who buys these signature guitars anyway?[/quote]

Many thousands of people.... look at the popularity of the Marcus Miller, Geddy Lee, Bob Glaub, etc etc....
Even Nick Seymour of Crowded House plays a Geddy....

A good guitar/bass is a good instrument regardless of whether there's a signature on it. My Geddy and Jackson 'Kip Winger' basses are excellent quality, very playable and cool sounding basses that do what I want them to....

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='385770' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Who buys these signature guitars anyway?

Actually I just remembered the one guy I knew who had a Clapton strat - my friend's dad, who couldn't play to save his life...[/quote]

When I played guitar I bought a Peavey Wolfgang because it was awesome only to find out it was the Eddy Van Halen signature model, fabulous guitar though.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='384629' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:33 AM']Guitar players don't seem to have a problem playing Les Paul's'

BTW Stevie hasn't always been a Fender P boy, what's the bass he's playing in the [i]Run to the hills[/i], and [i]Trooper [/i]video's? Looks like an Ibanez to me?[/quote]
not sure but that headstock does look like and ibanez

infact just did a little hunt and found this, so it looks to be an RS-824
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=41&now=1"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expans...id=41&now=1[/url]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='385770' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Who buys these signature guitars anyway?[/quote]

People with more money than sense.

That would be me then ;)

(I hasten to point out I have no money - just less sense...)

GAS GAS GAS lovely GAS GAS GAS.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='385770' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Actually I just remembered the one guy I knew who had a Clapton strat - my friend's dad, who couldn't play to save his life...[/quote]

Brilliant guitars for the price! I'd love to get my hands on one of those Harris signature models, been well impressed with the Geddy and Sting signatures so hopefully the Japanese craftsmanship has remained high standard.

• 1 month later...

i saw one of these in PMT in brum a few days ago..

its ok,but not worth anything near a grand...it just felt like a lump of heavy plastic...i was actually there with my father who told me to put it down as it was embarassing him hahaha

i love signature models...but im not a fan of Maiden,so maybe thats why i dont like it

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='385874' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:52 AM']It's taking the whole hero-worship thing a bit too far for my liking. That said, I'm guessing the Marcus Miller bass has stuff on it that normal Jazz basses don't, but I can't really see the point in the Geddy Lee one, and I've never even heard of Bob Glaub???[/quote]

Fair enough, but only if the signature is the [i]reason[/i] you're buying the bass. Justin Meldal-Johnson has been playing a Geddy Lee with Nine Inch Nails, he's not trying to sound like Rush. I don't know who Bob Glaub is either, but if I played a Lakky Bob Glaub and I liked it, his name on the headstock wouldn't stop me buying one!

I wouldn't pay over the odds for a bass just for a Badass and a squiggle on the headstock, but a good bass is a good bass, regardless of the name.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='385770' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:36 AM']Who buys these signature guitars anyway?

Actually I just remembered the one guy I knew who had a Clapton strat - my friend's dad, who couldn't play to save his life...[/quote]

[quote name='cetera' post='385862' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:47 AM']Many thousands of people.... look at the popularity of the Marcus Miller, Geddy Lee, Bob Glaub, etc etc....
Even Nick Seymour of Crowded House plays a Geddy....[/quote]

As I posted earlier the Gibson Les Paul. Probably the first sig model. I think Gibson may have sold a couple over the years :)

[quote name='rogerio_paulo67' post='426023' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:14 PM']why Fender put it Blue ?? if this last years Steve Harris use the White color in is bass
signature is suposed to be identical or not !!

oh well , im not the Fender boss...so[/quote]

The bass is modelled on Steve's most famous bass, his West Ham United coloured precision.

[quote name='mike257' post='425892' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:42 AM']Fair enough, but only if the signature is the [i]reason[/i] you're buying the bass. I don't know who Bob Glaub is either, but if I played a Lakky Bob Glaub and I liked it, his name on the headstock wouldn't stop me buying one![/quote]

I dont think the Laklands have signatures on, my Jo osbourne doesnt

[quote name='Rayman' post='426236' date='Mar 5 2009, 02:53 PM']The bass is modelled on Steve's most famous bass, his West Ham United coloured precision.[/quote]
isn't the blue the colour of the live after death tour bass?

[quote name='sk8' post='426278' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:29 PM']isn't the blue the colour of the live after death tour bass?[/quote]

Yeah I think maybe the new version is, but the older one was definately the West Ham colours. I've never seen either in the flesh, but I'd love to try one. I haven't seen Maiden live since 1981, when Paul DiAnno was the singer, it was my first gig, and I was still in my school uniform can you believe, amongst all the denim and leather. What a night that was. Buggered if I can remember what colour his bass was though :) .