Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

I’m picking up a Trickfish Minnow at NAMM and will probably sort a new amp out too. Other than that, I think I’m good for a bit. My Moollon will arrive in April, but that’s paid for.

So I think I’m going to say that I’ll join in for as long as I can from end of Jan....if I can do another 6months I’ll be happy.

Plus I’m moving out on my own (from a marriage), so that will be expensive lol.

Si

6 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I’m picking up a Trickfish Minnow at NAMM and will probably sort a new amp out too. Other than that, I think I’m good for a bit. My Moollon will arrive in April, but that’s paid for.

So I think I’m going to say that I’ll join in for as long as I can from end of Jan....if I can do another 6months I’ll be happy.

So you're basically saying you would like to start this when you like (end of Jan) and then abstain for the bits of 2020 that you don't feel like getting any gear during?

Well you make the rules...😁

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But I do really like the idea of starting the gear abstinence thread post NAMM and post Jan sales, I'll have to admit. 

But technically for 2020 that constitutes a 'fail' in Jan, right? 😉

Oh a massive fail, but I’m at peace with it 😂

Fortunately, as with anything in life, this is about trying to be better, not trying to be perfect ☺️.

Si

Edited by Sibob

Rounding the year off with a very esoteric bitcrusher pedal trade and have just lined up a cab trade to potentially get my old Fearless F112 back in exchange for a rather glorious Berg CN212 which is itching to be gigged. That cab trade may not actually clear until early new year, but looking at Sibob's small print from last year's thread: as the deal was done and dusted in 2019 it shouldn't count as a 2020 acquisition methinks.

And then I should be set fair for the whole of 2020.

Oh how the Krow household laughed.

Told guitarist friend i was doing this, his response was but i thought you want..(listed about 30 items) and then came up with the idea of starting a non-serious cover band. Obviously every bass own would never be suitable for this venture, so i'm not even into the start of it and i am already struggling.

• Haha 1

I mean this is the nicest possible way but Jesus you lot have some serious GAS issues!

I bought a bass on the 2nd of March 2017 and put strings on it on the 30th March 2017 and haven’t bought anything since. In fact I sold a bass and an amp. Do I get a prize? 😄

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2019 at 23:06, NJE said:

I mean this is the nicest possible way but Jesus you lot have some serious GAS issues!

I bought a bass on the 2nd of March 2017 and put strings on it on the 30th March 2017 and haven’t bought anything since. In fact I sold a bass and an amp. Do I get a prize? 😄

No, you get banned 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I'm out. I plan on getting a 5 sting Ibby asap but need to sell my P34 first. This won't happen before  Wed so there we are, the first casualty of the year lol. 

You're not out yet. And you could put a £10 deposit down on my Ibby 5 string today (which would anchor the purchase in 2019 according to the great Book of Sibob) and then complete in 2020 after you have sold your P34 (which means I get to use my Ibby on NYE). Where there's a will there's surely an amenable loophole to be found?

• Like 1

I'm in.... 

Just grabbed a 4 string L2000 a few weeks back so that's my new toy sorted just before we hit the start line  - I reckon I can last a year without something else catching my eye. Although I have a festering thought about trying some different cabs floating around in my head....

Do I get extra points for finishing 2020 with less gear than I started with? Like if I sell another bass? 

😊

55 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

I'm in.... 

Just grabbed a 4 string L2000 a few weeks back so that's my new toy sorted just before we hit the start line  - I reckon I can last a year without something else catching my eye. Although I have a festering thought about trying some different cabs floating around in my head....

Do I get extra points for finishing 2020 with less gear than I started with? Like if I sell another bass? 

😊

Sure. You can have @NJE's prize as he's been issued a ban by Dave so it's going spare.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

You're not out yet. And you could put a £10 deposit down on my Ibby 5 string today (which would anchor the purchase in 2019 according to the great Book of Sibob) and then complete in 2020 after you have sold your P34 (which means I get to use my Ibby on NYE). Where there's a will there's surely an amenable loophole to be found?

The Ibby is very high on my list, but ill need to play an 18mm one first. I'm sure I can adapt to 16.5mm, but I want to explore a few options first. 

I’m falling into the grey area...Just arranged a trade that won’t happen until the 2nd of January, so either I am covered in 2019 as it was arranged today, or I am an extremely early casualty...Either way I’m ok with it as I will be getting the P bass of my dreams.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

I’m falling into the grey area...Just arranged a trade that won’t happen until the 2nd of January, so either I am covered in 2019 as it was arranged today, or I am an extremely early casualty...Either way I’m ok with it as I will be getting the P bass of my dreams.

We may both either succeed or fail at exactly the same time. Hope the powers that be show some mercy 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Arranged in 2019 and the actual trade 2nd January. I’d let that slide😂👍🏻 Just don’t tell anyone! 🤫

• Thanks 1