Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

18 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I assume Stings don’t count, as I seem to get through them quite quickly. 

Yeah 'consumables' eg strings, picks, vocalists etc are fine as are any repairs eg necks, drum skins, or I guess even a replacement bass for the one you trash when the vocalist walks out, are all allowed in the 'Book of Sibob'. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah 'consumables' eg strings, picks, vocalists etc are fine as are any repairs eg necks, drum skins, or I guess even a replacement bass for the one you trash when the vocalist walks out, are all allowed in the 'Book of Sibob'. 

Sooo if i buy a set of stings,  but they come on a bass thats cool? 

😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is gonna be such a breeze! Just doing a search on kettle leads right now (I've so far managed to get a replacement bass before I've needed to replace the strings so not really familiar with all that technical stuff) ... 😄 

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Soz buddy. Per Article 5B of the Book of Sibob, bass cases don't seem to qualify as not 'new gear'. Be a shame to get disqualified on a technicality, right? 

Absolutely, I’ll brush up on the rules and not make such a schoolboy error again. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bassfan said:

There’s always one.... 🤫

Mistress? Lucky you! 

They are a very expensive hobby though (YMMV). I guess I'm starting to better understand the cost saving motivation for this thread!

Anyway back to kettle leads for me...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2

I don't *intend* to buy anything this year, my GAS is currently satiated.

I do intend to sell a 2x12 and a PA in 2020 though.

But then, I didn't *intend* to buy anything in 2019 either and I've ended the year with a BF Super Twin that I didn't have at the beginning of the year.

Edited by Si600

17 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I don't *intend* to buy anything this year, my GAS is currently satiated.

I do intend to sell a 2x12 and a PA in 2020 though.

But then, I didn't *intend* to buy anything in 2019 either and I've ended the year with a BF Super Twin that I didn't have at the beginning of the year.

I’ll put you down as in ‘in’ then. 

• Like 1

I feel we need an evaluation of the contenders for 2019.  Did anybody 'win'?

I'd love to participate in 2020 and will give it a good gp whilst secretly knowing I'll fail miserably :$.  Are organisations in place to offer support (apart from the For Sale section)?

Edited by ead

Just now, ead said:

I feel we need an evaluation of the contenders for 2019.  Did anybody 'win'?

I'd love to participate in 2020 and will give it a good gp whilst secretly knowing I'll fail miserably :$.  Are organisations in place to offer support (apart from the For Sale section)?

I think there’s a few survivors... they are on the 2019 thread (link on the opening post) 👍🏻

Just now, bassfan said:

I think there’s a few survivors... they are on the 2019 thread (link on the opening post) 👍🏻

Excellent well done folks, respect is due.  I presume these have been independently verified?

I was doing alright for the first half of the year, then bought a Super Compact to replace the one I sold a few months earlier! I also bought a Jazz bass a month or two ago, again to replace one I sold earlier in the year. I really should think before selling things!

I'll have another attempt to retain myself in 2020. 

19 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Count  me out. I'm under strict instruction from my accountant to spend some money on gear. Who am I to argue?

Ah good to know! If you have some spare cash burning a hole in your pocket, then I'd be delighted to introduce you to a pedal or two also currently feeling a bit spare on my board.

(Obviously please check any purchases with your accountant, first - I just hope he knows his Paradriver from his back seat driver).