Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

1 minute ago, Trueno said:

Is this actually a "buy as much stuff as you can before 1st Jan" thread?

I thought I might sign up for the abstinence in 2020... in good faith, I might add.

Then I saw something in a NBD thread that made me go weak at the knees...

Love that, that’s the title of next years right there... the buy as much as you can before 1st January thread. 

So is that an in or out?? 😂 

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

Love that, that’s the title of next years right there... the buy as much as you can before 1st January thread. 

So is that an in or out?? 😂 

We can start now... buy as much as you can before 1st January 2021.

Sounds good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Got one last purchase in this year. Ive just ordered another set of EB Cobalt Flats. I fancy giving them another go. Hoping there are no rust spots on the strings like my last set. 

Strings don’t really count , I’d consider these consumables 

2 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Strings don’t really count , I’d consider these consumables 

Agreed!

Consumables, repairs, servicing ≠ new gear. New gear = new gear! Simples :) 

Blimey after this year's gear fest, it's gonna feel very virtuous not buying any new gear!

Although if I said I was up just one bass, down a cab, and down 3 pedals for 2019 you might consider me to have been very restrained?

But if I explained that was the net result of 9 basses , 6 amps and cabs and 43 pedals or pedal-gear being bought, sold or traded you'd get a better feel why @bassfan's 2020 challenge is going to be (a) very cathartic (a good word) and (b) almost impossible 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I promise not to buy any basses on January 1. As I'm in the USA, that means I have to wait 7 hours longer than some of you,; I expect some extra credit for that. ON Jan 1, I'll be busy assembling a bass - all the parts are here, the finish is done, and should be good and cured by tomorrow.

I really must join in this year.

There’s a bass which @skelf is taking to NAMM which will cause me serious bank trouble if it returns unsold and I was talking to @Cosmicrain about another Funkmeister build too, but neither bass is needed and I’ve just started the year with a huuuuge bill for my wife’s horse. On top of that I have a bathroom refurb to do and the wife wants to redecorate the rest of the house too.

So, (somewhat grudgingly 🤣), I’m in.

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

For example, if you were playing in a Hendrix tribute band and the guitarist was careless with the lighter fluid and burnt your bass, I reckon you should be allowed to replace it without dropping out of the thread. 

Indeed. That’s an act of god! 😂 

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

For example, if you were playing in a Hendrix tribute band and the guitarist was careless with the lighter fluid and burnt your bass, I reckon you should be allowed to replace it without dropping out of the thread. 

Haha! 

9 minutes ago, Quilly said:

We’re allowed sell stuff to buy new stuff aren’t we 🤔?

Still a free country, so we can do what we like. 

But as bassfan has just said, sadly I don't think selling gear to replace it qualifies for this thread anymore than doing a paid gig to get new gear or going to work to buy new gear or, better still, sending Mrs Krow out to work to fund new bass gear... 

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Sell yes. Buying is buying.... it’s all now down to will power for the next 8748 hours. 😂

Just to clarify - have you taken off the 11 hours (most) of us managed to get through so far without any gear purchases? 😁

@dave_bass5fess up mate, have you cracked already? 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha! 

Still a free country, so we can do what we like. 

But as bassfan has just said, sadly I don't think selling gear to replace it qualifies for this thread anymore than doing a paid gig to get new gear or going to work to buy new gear or, better still, sending Mrs Krow out to work to fund new bass gear... 

Can I send Mrs Krow out to work to fund new bass gear for me instead? We could probably work out some kind of reciprocal arrangement involving Mrs Dave - play it right an neither need know about it!

• Haha 1

Just now, FinnDave said:

Can I send Mrs Krow out to work to fund new bass gear for me instead? We could probably work out some kind of reciprocal arrangement involving Mrs Dave - play it right an neither need know about it!

Alternatively just be the first one to fall. Take one for the team!