Why become a member? ×

Most Under-Rated piece of Bass kit?

Mr.T

I hope this hasn't been done before?

I have been reading the 'Over-Rated' thread, and yes I have to agree some things can be disappointing.... but what about those rare times in life when we don't expect too much and are pleasantly surprised?

Like when you end up with the plain looking girl (You know what I mean as Bass players) and.....

Ok, I'll start with the Zoom BFX708 (Yes, the plastic one).
I've bought (and sold) the Line6 BassPod XT Live and the Boss GT6B because the old Zoom sounds better to my ears, even though they often get a slating.
Plus... The Zoom is compact, easy to program and about £25 secondhand.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='374858' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:16 AM']Ok, I'll start with the Zoom BFX708 (Yes, the plastic one).[/quote]

Mine was great and lasted 9 years of gigging and rehearsal before finally starting to fall to bits.
Hence why I'm after a Zoom B1 or B2 now...

I have an old Peavey 1x15 cab (black widow speaker) that I've had a similar amount of time. It sounds great, and has more top end than most people expect. It sounds better than my newish Ashdown 2x10.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='374863' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:23 AM']I have an old Peavey 1x15 cab (black widow speaker) that I've had a similar amount of time. It sounds great, and has more top end than most people expect. It sounds better than my newish Ashdown 2x10.[/quote]

I used to have one of those was a great cab until it got a split in the speaker :)

Zoom 506ii pedal for me. Multi effects pedal, loads & loads of patches that could easily be customised & saved & it also had a built in tuner. Granted the sounds it could produce weren't that good quality wise but for a relatively inexpensive pedal it was great for a newbie experimenting with different bass sounds for the first time.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='374887' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:50 AM']Zoom 506ii pedal for me. Multi effects pedal, loads & loads of patches that could easily be customised & saved & it also had a built in tuner. Granted the sounds it could produce weren't that good quality wise but for a relatively inexpensive pedal it was great for a newbie experimenting with different bass sounds for the first time.[/quote]
+1

Behringer compressor pedals, they are all great and equal the boss equivilants

[quote name='ped' post='374886' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:50 AM']Yea some of those old Peaveys are cool. There was a keyboard amplifier at the practice studio which sounded great with bass. Must have cost about a tenner, too![/quote]

Peavey in general I think. I'd always had it in mind that they were cheap tat to be avoided until I tried a TNT combo at a rehearsal room and was pleasantly surprised. By no means the best gear available, but fantastic for the money.

westfield as a company, like I said in my intro my electro-acoustic from them is the nicest sounding/playing iv played for under a grand. And my new 5 string bass from westfield..again, amazing bass for £140,Id pay much more and still be happy

but for me, the best thing I have...the korg ga-10 tuner, it tunes so easily and does low B/high C for bass, but can do downtuning so easily. No faffing about like with other tuners and I have had it since I started playing guitar years ago.

It has to be Ear Protection .. ok.. so it's not specifically 'bass' kit.. but how many people spend hundreds maybe thousands of pounds on bass gear yet *still* insist on spending as little as possible on looking after their ears? (Or not spending anything at all on them!)

[quote name='dood' post='374938' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:43 AM']It has to be Ear Protection .. ok.. so it's not specifically 'bass' kit.. but how many people spend hundreds maybe thousands of pounds on bass gear yet *still* insist on spending as little as possible on looking after their ears? (Or not spending anything at all on them!)[/quote]
Here, Here! (or is that Hear, Hear?)

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374881' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:47 AM']DR Hi-Beam Strings[/quote]

I like them...
Not sure they are underated though..
Over priced maybe...

Getting the widest most padded Leather strap for me.
Best investment i have made.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='374947' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:51 AM']I like them...
Not sure they are underated though..
Over priced maybe...
Garry[/quote]

Not many people I know use them or have even heard of them. Most seem to be using Rotosound or Ernie Ball strings which for me just don't do it.

[quote name='dood' post='374938' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:43 AM']It has to be Ear Protection .. ok.. so it's not specifically 'bass' kit.. but how many people spend hundreds maybe thousands of pounds on bass gear yet *still* insist on spending as little as possible on looking after their ears? (Or not spending anything at all on them!)[/quote]

+1

After a bass, then an amp, ear protection should be the next thing any gigging bass player buys. At only 23, I wish I understood the damage I was doing to my ears 6 or 7 years ago...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='374890' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:53 AM']+1

Behringer compressor pedals, they are all great and equal the boss equivilants[/quote]

+2

The 506ii easily stores stuff and the berhinger BLE copy was great, £15.

My vote goes to my Roland DB500, though.

Way louder than its 150W, 3 different programmable memory patches, small (not so light), really nice sound and only cost me £150.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374950' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:53 AM']Not many people I know use them or have even heard of them.[/quote]

Funny that...
I know a few peeps using them.
Big seller in the states as well.
A lot cheaper might be the reason.

Garry

Edited by lowdown