Why become a member? ×

New Fender 'Roadworn' Series

molan

I love the look but it's the artificial thing I don't like. It's the pre torn designer jeans look. Frankly I'd feel a bit silly on stage with it. If it was a 40 year old bass I wouldn't have a problem with it............but it isn't. :)

Although if it plays as good as people say it does I could always give it a respray :)

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Horizontalste' post='1205098' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:14 PM']I have to say i like the battered look, especially on the Berg's.

[attachment=77951:ad740089...cuerpo_1.jpg][/quote]

now, that's a more "credible" roadworn. It doesn't scream "fake damage" as much as the others. This one, I like. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1204502' date='Apr 19 2011, 10:08 AM']The one I played would be best described as those old pair of trainers you don't want to bin because they are so comfy.[/quote]

That`s exactly what I thought when I played one.

I've tried a couple of the Ps, and they both played nicely, but that whole relicing thing is just pointless affectation, and screams "fake, fake, fake". Why anyone would want to say "Look at this instrument, it's been treated really badly" is beyond me. I've had some of my basses for more than twenty years, and while they have the odd ding from lots and lots of gigs, I've never treated one so carelessly that is sustains damage anywhere near most fake relic jobs. Would anyone buy a 'reliced' car?*

Aaaaand breathe. Back on topic, it'd be nice to see Fender create a bass with the feel of a Roadworn, without the hokey damage. Now that'd sell...

* Actually, if anyone would, I can help you out there... :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1205487' date='Apr 20 2011, 08:31 AM']... it'd be nice to see Fender create a bass with the feel of a Roadworn, without the hokey damage. Now that'd sell.[/quote]

That begs the question; 'why do Fender sell basses that don't feel as good as the Roadworn'?

Shouldn't all Fender basses feel as good and what is it that makes them 'feel' a better bass? Other than the rolled/worn fingerboard edges what is it that makes the Roadworns better than many other Fender models. Ultimately they'd have been screwed together in the same factory by the same workers as all of the other MIM basses.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1206563' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:06 PM']I do agree the neck is nice to play compared to others that are non-roadworn but that's it for me.[/quote]
I've got a thing about basses that don't have worn in/rounded/rolled fingerboard edges and the worst culprits have been new Warwicks and Spectors! I can forgive most things but a fingerboard edge that is so sharp that it hurts has me putting down a bass quicker than a hot tattie!

I think they look pretty crap to be honest, the mat finish looks nothing like any vintage bass I've ever seen. Having said that every jazz one I've played has been a cracker. I notice that the bodies are thinner than the normal Fender models (as is the headstock) - I wonder if that has improved the sound?

Interesting thread.

Apart from the finish, does anyone know what differences there are between the MIM roadworn series and the MIM classic 70s range?

I'm asking because, as much as the roadworns have a certain appeal, I much prefer the classic 70s on looks alone. I have a classic 70s jazz, standard pickups, and I find it gives my US 75 reissue jazz a good run for the money.

The US bass isn't 3 times better but it's nearly 3 times the price.

Anyone know?

Frank.

[quote name='Pookus' post='385589' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:19 AM']Its like buying a new pair of jeans with rips in. Bogus.[/quote]

I was going to mention that. People do pay for worn jeans!! They're not generally any more expensive than new-looking jeans, but they are available from expensive-ish shops.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1206623' date='Apr 21 2011, 12:02 AM']Apart from the finish, does anyone know what differences there are between the MIM roadworn series and the MIM classic 70s range?[/quote]

Pickup position, neck wear. That's about it (officially) although I suspect they pick the bodies for the RW series and the QC is higher. Having said that, the 70s classics are niiiiice if you like that funky funky sound!

[quote name='machinehead' post='1206623' date='Apr 21 2011, 12:02 AM']Interesting thread.

Apart from the finish, does anyone know what differences there are between the MIM roadworn series and the MIM classic 70s range?

I'm asking because, as much as the roadworns have a certain appeal, I much prefer the classic 70s on looks alone. I have a classic 70s jazz, standard pickups, and I find it gives my US 75 reissue jazz a good run for the money.

The US bass isn't 3 times better but it's nearly 3 times the price.

Anyone know?

Frank.[/quote]

However the special-ness of the American build has meant you've added this into your sig, yet the classic 70's doesn't have "Mexican" before it. I'm not trying to make a dig at you just an observation, that I see fairly often.

Also the difference between the RW and the classic 70s jazz is the Nitrocellulose lacquer.

The four basses I've tried from the RW series are also very resonant in my experience, very much on par with any hand made bass I've ever played and a great deal better than many other basses.

Add that to the playability and the secondhand price and that's it for me.

I must admit I struggled with the looks at first, even after I'd parted with the cash and had one on the stand at home. But over time, I came to realise that the playability of the instrument wins hands down in the long run for me. Just keep picking them up !

Still may refinish them at some point though, but I'm only prepared to do that as I'm convinced I won't be selling any of them ! :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1206653' date='Apr 21 2011, 01:34 AM']Pickup position, neck wear. That's about it (officially) although I suspect they pick the bodies for the RW series and the QC is higher. Having said that, the 70s classics are niiiiice if you like that funky funky sound![/quote]

Thanks LawrenceH. I think the QC must be higher on the 70s ones as the RW bodies could be anything really. My 70s has a beautiful grain.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1206722' date='Apr 21 2011, 08:37 AM']However the special-ness of the American build has meant you've added this into your sig, yet the classic 70's doesn't have "Mexican" before it. I'm not trying to make a dig at you just an observation, that I see fairly often.

Also the difference between the RW and the classic 70s jazz is the Nitrocellulose lacquer.[/quote]

Haha. That was just to differentiate with the Japanese ones which have a 60s bridge pickup position. I'd have been happy to buy a Japanese 70s jazz but wanted the correct bridge pickup position.

I think the MIM 70s pickups are the same as those on the RW so I'm trying to undestand why the RW are so loved. I'm getting the picture now.

Thanks for all replies

Frank.

EDIT for clarity.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1206578' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:17 PM']I've got a thing about basses that don't have worn in/rounded/rolled fingerboard edges and the worst culprits have been new Warwicks and Spectors! I can forgive most things but a fingerboard edge that is so sharp that it hurts has me putting down a bass quicker than a hot tattie![/quote]

ditto.
Ive been spoilt with my warwick and jv squier in this respect. The usa fsr 70's jazz I had had a rolled fingerboard, as did some other old things i've had. The valenti jazz i had for a while was so well finished i don't think it did but it was amazing to play reguardless.
Then you go into a shop and try a few things and yuck- sharp fretboards and I put the bass back again. worst offender was a sadowsky which had sharp edges and a dull sound with the preamp off.

Thats my second bugbear- why would you make a bass that isn't nice and resonant unplugged? My JV squier sounds brilliant unplugged- you can tell it's going to be better plugged in.
Likewise I picked up a 1970's cimar jazz bass- and unplugged that thing really sang and sounded amazing. One time i took it apart and didn't get the neck on quite right- and the tone went and it went flat. Easily fixed- but half the basses in the shops sound flat too!

If I remember rightly the pickups are the same but the Roadworn should have the 60s spacing.

This rolled finger board thing is interesting me.
I definatly prefer the feel of my stingrays neck with is 16 years old, although the size shape and weight of the big al is more comfortable to play.

How do I speed up this rolled finger board process?

• 3 weeks later...

I admit I had reservations about the whole road worn bit esp with the 'worn in the exact same place' tattoo but was in a shop the other day with some time on my hands and went over several Fenders of all styles and price points. I always judge an instrument by it's resonance, feel, balance and sound. The Road Worn is a contender by any stretch of the imagination. It had all those qualities mentioned and it did feel 'worn in'(!!) and comfortable. As with all instruments you can try one of the exact same model, year & make and they can differ. In this case I tried 2 Jazz and 2 P's. All passed the test pretty consistently. I was pleasantly surprised.

I [b]really[/b] wish they did these in 5 string versions. I have a Sandberg JJ5 which is basically what you'd expect from one of these, but I still fancy a Fender just for the name at some point (I know it's sad, but I've never owned a Fender). Sadly they really do no 5 strings that I like apart from the new USA Deluxe models and I don't fancy forking out so much when a Sandberg can be got cheaper and is probably a better instrument.

From what I have heard these are very nice basses but the fact that each bass has the same wear and tear kinda takes away from the uniqueness of each bass, so when you see more than one of the same model, it looks a bit strange. In principle I am not in favour of the relic effect, but after playing a reliced Sandberg I have to say that if it plays, feels and sounds like a great bass, then it is a great bass. As I tend to 'relic' instruments myself naturally over time, I'm not sure how a pre-worn bass would look after 8 years of gigging!

I have no idea why Fender chose to stamp a massive 'Road Worn' stamp on the bodies though. Its probably just there to make sure that there is a demand for the 'Roadworn jazz without a scratchplate' that they have planned for NAMM 2014.

The road worn stamp is there so they are no passed off as something other than they are. I can tell that the nitro cellulose finish on these is thin enough that after not much handling they will be prone to your own wear marks. Actually the finish on these does have some influence on their sound. I noticed they were especially 'woody' sounding compared to some of the other MIM's and even a '62 ri(which was real nice too).

IMO nitro feels better than poly,looks better and wears better.The fingerboard is rolled which feels better.The bodies are a bit thinner as are the Affinity Squiers that ive seen,which makes them a bit lighter and a bit more comfortable.Recipe for success in my book,but i agree that the price is too high.