Why become a member? ×

Has Basschat had a negative effect on your wallet?

lateralus462

Here's a question for you - I was perfectly happy playing in my band with my Ibanez and Ashdown untill I found this site.

I now have 3 basses, A load of FX and am currently trying to find the funds for another couple of basses that I want.

I sincerely believe this wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for Basschat.

Is basschat responsible for this? or is it normal for musicians to behave like this towards gear? (I was never like this when I played guitar) - I'm fairly sure basschat is a bad influence (in a good way of course :) )

Not really... I ended up getting an OLPMM32 instead of a proper stingray based on recommendations from either here or talkbass (can't remember now), and when I decided I didn't need get on with the narrow spacing of the 5er, I swapped it with Jobiebass on here for his Fretless Jazz.

Probably saved a fortune compared to what I'd have spent if I'd just had local music shops to base my purchases on.

Although the old Dod FX25 I got was a bit extravagantly priced... but I'm blaming that one on talkbass rather than here. :)

It has made me spend a fortune, but i've got a sliced of that back through selling my old gear!

The gear i've got off here has made me sound MILES better though...

Also got to try loads of effects for half the new price, some i've kept and some i've passed on at cost for someone else to enjoy

My missus hate's it, after all it is the reason she didn't get a holiday in 2008 as promised!

Yep. Was perfectly happy with my MIM Jazz V, Trace/Ashdown hybrid rig. 3 years later I've not got any of that rig anymore, or any of the basses I had then save for the first one I ever got (sentimental old fool I am!).

So, in short and in no particular order:

IN:
Status Groove 5
Status Retroactive J
Trace Elliot 2103H
Trace Elliot V-Type 1x15 combo (soon to go??)
Trace Elliot V-Type 4x8 combo
Trace Elliot 4x8 cab (soon to go??)
Eden Nemesis NA320
Hartke LH500

OUT:
Fender Jazz MIM V
Dean Edge Pro 4
Status Groove 5
Ashdown MAG410T
Trace Elliot AH300-12
Trace Elliot 2103H
Trace Elliot 1153
Trace Elliot V-Type 4x8 combo
Eden Nemesis NA320

:)

[quote name='lateralus462' post='368530' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:18 PM']Here's a question for you - I was perfectly happy playing in my band with my Ibanez and Ashdown untill I found this site.

I now have 3 basses, A load of FX and am currently trying to find the funds for another couple of basses that I want.

I sincerely believe this wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for Basschat.

Is basschat responsible for this? or is it normal for musicians to behave like this towards gear? (I was never like this when I played guitar) - I'm fairly sure basschat is a bad influence (in a good way of course :huh: )[/quote]

Sue the bastids.......... :) :huh:

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='368616' date='Jan 2 2009, 04:59 PM']Happy New Year Kol!

Hope you are well m8!

Basschat has helped me lose a few quid but have also sold some stuff so it has evened out really![/quote]

Hey there Thick Spliff, happy new year!
Having had a break for a while with no gear at all, all I have got apart from my car boot sale cheapie 5 string has come from here. Not a great deal of money in the great scheme of things but all deals done at a fair price or better from a great bunch of lads!

Cheers
Kol

Yes but only slightly

If I hadn't joined basschat I wouldn't have thought I needed an overdrive pedal. I bought one, didn't need it and sold it at a slight loss.

I'm not someone who wants loads of basses and I'm really happy with my Corvette for now and have for a long time just wanted my ultimate Precision to go alongside it. I was gassing for a Custom Shop Thumb before I came here but now I want an ACG Recurve instead. I had planned on getting EMGs and the EMG active EQ for the Corvette, but now I want different pickups (not sure which) and the East/ACG EQ02 electronics. So my Gas has shifted, but will end up costing me the same (possibly slightly less).

The only new area I'm going to spend money is on a decent amp rig. Until now any amp that's loud enough for rehearsals has kept me happy (I have DI'd for gigs since the early 90s) but I now want a lightweight cab (or two) and a head to drive them. So far I've spent about £300 on the bits for an Omni10. Just need to build the b*gg*r now.

Edited by clauster

being a member of Basschat and Talkbs has taught me more about what is on offer rather than merely making me spend more money.

i used to be of the Peavey, Trace, Ashdown & Fender brigade - nothing wrong with any of them but they were the main brands that I'd find in my local music shop. There was little else to chose from.

Its been really good talking to people like Jorg Schroeder & Jeff Genzler who are the actual people making these things. i now own products made by both of them.

It is really good being on here and finding out about who plays what and new gear that is coming out as well as being able to impart some knowledge back into the forum.

Going from 4 trips from the car to the gig down to 1 single trip has been mainly as a result of being a member of both these forums. I can't believe that little metal box the size of a biscuit tin can produce such quality volume and put it through a speaker cab about a quarter of the size of the 2 I used to use to provide the same volume.

Has it cost me money? Yes....

However, it has also

- saved me years of torment trying to find out info and trying ideas that would come to nought

- introduced me to some very smart, and switched on bass players who I respect and admire,

- made me absolutely determined not to compromise as ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

- answered all my questions however stupid (at times) without (too much) embarassment

- allowed me to experiment with ideas and gear that have moved on and made others happy....

And

- made me feel at home even tho' I'm not a jobbing or pro bassist

In the words of mastercard.....

PRICELESS...!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='368863' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:15 PM']Has it cost me money? Yes....

However, it has also

- saved me years of torment trying to find out info and trying ideas that would come to nought

- introduced me to some very smart, and switched on bass players who I respect and admire,

- answered all my questions however stupid (at times) without (too much) embarassment

- allowed me to experiment with ideas and gear that have moved on and made others happy....

And

PRICELESS...![/quote]

I havent spent any money at all on BC, but i did buy a new bass this year, and yes it was my first, but i like the above sentiment

+1

[quote name='The Burpster' post='368863' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:15 PM']Has it cost me money? Yes....

However, it has also

And

PRICELESS...![/quote]

+1, although in some respects it's saved me money as most basses on here sell for pretty muh what has been paid, so for a clown like me who can't make his mind up, it serves as a bass exchange as well as an info resource :)