Why become a member? ×

'Vintage' The manufacturer NOT the age!

warwickhunt

I've encountered 3 of their guitars in the last 6 mths (my guitar player has just bought a relic'd Les Paul) and they have all played fantastically well, added to which the pups are Wilkinson units and seem to do a decent job! Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

I did a search on the forum but you try and search a bass guitar forum using the word 'vintage'... not conducive to an easy search. :)

I have a Vintage P bass. Very very good indeed. The neck is 1/2 way between a P and a J, weight is nice, all hardwear good, a very nice overall package.
I also have an SX P bass and it's considerably better than that.

If you're not fussy about the compromise neck it's just about on par with a MIM P bass.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='365126' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:32 PM']I remember reading that Captain Sensible plays a Vintage Viper (SG copy) and swears by it.[/quote]

As in f***in Vintage Viper c**p :)

I played a Vintage Jaco relic-ed Jazz copy in 2007 which wasn't bad for the money. It was at a 'play with the stars' bash where JHS provided guitars, bass, amps and a laughably s**t PA.

There were old pros and session men there who all loyally said how good the Vintage stuff was -- but quickly shifted to their own gear as soon as possible. The bassist was Colin Farley, from Cutting Crew, who was a great bloke.

In fact, here he is with the bass

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

[quote name='ziggenpuss' post='365233' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:35 PM']There was a post in November from noirpunk who'd just got an endorsement with Vintage. It's in there somewhere in the 'General' topics.
I can't work out how to do a link.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32990&hl=vintage+&+endorsement"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;+endorsement[/url]

[quote name='Hamster' post='365093' date='Dec 28 2008, 07:46 PM']I have a Vintage P bass. Very very good indeed. The neck is 1/2 way between a P and a J, weight is nice, all hardwear good, a very nice overall package.
I also have an SX P bass and it's considerably better than that.

If you're not fussy about the compromise neck it's just about on par with a MIM P bass.[/quote]

Good to know, Hamster... I've been wondering about getting an inexpensive P for blues gigs, and the Vintage V4 was one of the ones I'd thought of. The Wilkinson hardware & pickup are tempting in themselves :)

As with any mass-produced "copies", there's no reason why you can't find one as good as the original if you get out and try enough of them - (received wisdom from a guitarist / pro-sound engineer acquainatce of mine when I sneered at his Squier Strat. He reckoned he'd tried at least 70 before settling on that one and with a set of replacement pickups put it on par with his US Strat).

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='365094' date='Dec 28 2008, 07:46 PM']they do or used to do a cracking active fretless with a nice mahogany bod, think the model was a vb someting or other,

EDIT: now i remember it was a actually a bubinga body[/quote]

its the vintage V940/950 series... i've got the fretted 4 string version.

i really like it. The body is small in comparison to most basses but i really like the neck and the hardware hasnt broken after several years use...

[quote name='Golchen' post='365449' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:23 PM']They seem to regularly get good press and reviews generally, and Trev Wilkinson is a top designer within the industry.

I can't believe that any company would be so dumb as to have an 'unsearchable' brand name though! - Doh![/quote]
I have the EST96 active Stingray copy with 3 band eq and maple neck/fb - its great, plays nicely, its quiet. They do a 5 string too. The bridge can be string-through body also, if you buy some ferrules. No complaints at all.

link to site [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html"]vintage bass[/url]

Edited by Geek99