Why become a member? ×

'Vintage' The manufacturer NOT the age!

warwickhunt

gota agree with Bassmonster - I bought the Vintage Fretless bass as a cheap way of starting out sans frets. I love it! Its a VERY playable bass with a great sound for the money. In fact, scrap that, its just a very playable, good-sounding bass.

I have only ever heard good things about this model, although I haven't tried any of their other stuff.

[quote name='PVTele' post='367033' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:12 PM']A SpongeBob Squarepants Flying V ukulele? - now there [i]is[/i] a thought :)[/quote]

got that for my grandson for xmas... he loves it... I am the coolest granddad of them all...

also got my granddaughter a Hannah Montana acoustic guitar... yeah well, it's a phase she's going through, but if it gets her playing I'm all for it...

[quote name='clauster' post='365330' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:07 AM']As with any mass-produced "copies", there's no reason why you can't find one as good as the original if you get out and try enough of them - (received wisdom from a guitarist / pro-sound engineer acquainatce of mine when I sneered at his Squier Strat. He reckoned he'd tried at least 70 before settling on that one and with a set of replacement pickups put it on par with his US Strat).[/quote]
my uncle thought my les paul copy from the 70s played better than his real thing!

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='367148' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:26 PM']got that for my grandson for xmas... he loves it... I am the coolest granddad of them all...

also got my granddaughter a Hannah Montana acoustic guitar... yeah well, it's a phase she's going through, but if it gets her playing I'm all for it...[/quote]

I wish you were my grandad :)

hiho,i recently got myself a vintage v4 for a knock around and all i can say is after tweeking the neck , the action,and adjusting the pick up heights.this is a very nice bass.
It has a different sound to my ricky n the musicman but for the price it is great value and you can gig with it as the sound is good.I am playing it through a marshall mb450 n a roland combo n have no complaints.
It is the precision copy i have just to clarify things.
A question-has anybody put a seymour duncan quarter pounder in one of these.what do you think ?

[quote name='wizbat' post='368447' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:39 PM']For what it,s worth, their six strings 'bounce' really well.
They take about five throws before they really start to come apart.[/quote]

Pretty tough then, as I've known Fenders and Gibsons fall apart as soon as they contact with the deck once! :huh:

Was this yours means of relicing the instrument by the way... a bit radical. :)

Our guitarist wanted to trash a guitar during one of our videos and the vintage was just sitting there at the time.
You can see the throw about halfway thru and the bounce in the closing scenes.
It,s on our website, video is for'Burn'.
The neck of the guitar is hung on my wall where I,m sitting.

• 8 months later...

i am very happy with my vintage icon v4. Only complaint i had was that the pickups were not really the tone id like, but i swapped them out for some JV squier's, and now it plays and sounds as good as any p bass, and is very light too :)

Edited by Kev

I've just bought the natural 5 string version of that bass for £50, looking forward to receiving it as the 4 string version of it was great

There's nothing worse than a brand snob, most basses these days are very well put together and are well up to gigging. Plus there's something cool about finding a great cheapo bass!

Reading through this thread for the first time (missed it pre-resurrection) and the one thing I remember about trying several Vintage guitars a few years back is that they were all incredibly heavy. The Les Paul I tried must have been 12 or 13 lbs.

Did I just get unlucky, or were the others heavy too, but you guys aren't fussed about that?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='594034' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:55 PM']Reading through this thread for the first time (missed it pre-resurrection) and the one thing I remember about trying several Vintage guitars a few years back is that they were all incredibly heavy. The Les Paul I tried must have been 12 or 13 lbs.

Did I just get unlucky, or were the others heavy too, but you guys aren't fussed about that?[/quote]
When i tried it against a mim p bass in the shop, the vintage felt about half the weight.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='594034' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:55 PM']The Les Paul I tried must have been 12 or 13 lbs.[/quote]
Their Les Pauls are mahogany-bodied (like the real thing), so they're bound to be heavy (like the real thing :) ). Their P- and J-style basses are "Eastern Poplar", so they'll be naturally lighter per cubic inch.

Have to admit, I dismissed them as 'yet another budget line' when I first saw them, but that was before I encountered a Vintage SG copy that a friend had.... fantastic guitar, very much on a par with the Epiphone G400 (which I rate highly), but at a fraction of the price. I'm actually very tempted by one of those, even though I don't have any real call for an SG type.... Overall, I think they're hard to be for the money and certainly you need to spend a fair bit more to better them. Really solid, working instruments. I did look to them for a P Bass project recently, but unfortunately they don't seem to do a maple board as an option (at least, not left handed anyhow) - a deal breaker for me.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='594824' date='Sep 10 2009, 03:48 PM']Have to admit, I dismissed them as 'yet another budget line' when I first saw them, but that was before I encountered a Vintage SG copy that a friend had.... fantastic guitar, very much on a par with the Epiphone G400 (which I rate highly), but at a fraction of the price. I'm actually very tempted by one of those, even though I don't have any real call for an SG type.... Overall, I think they're hard to be for the money and certainly you need to spend a fair bit more to better them. Really solid, working instruments. I did look to them for a P Bass project recently, but unfortunately they don't seem to do a maple board as an option (at least, not left handed anyhow) - a deal breaker for me.[/quote]

I have a Vintage SG that I dropped some Bareknuckle Warpigs in, along with some Kluson tuners... now it stays in tune and has a very Sabbathy tone! :) It's always funny to have a guitar where the pickups in it are worth more than the rest of the instrument combined :rolleyes: