Jump to content
spectoremg

Taking Ric fugliness too far - KayRic

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

It's strange but I've played my 4003 for over ten years and never had an issue with the binding digging into my forearm - until about a week ago.

And now I've noticed it, I can't stop noticing it.

I've decided that a walnut 4003s is the only solution.....

My first Ric was an S model, so no issues there.

My others have binding and it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's the same with any guitar with binding, including acoustics.

I was chatting with someone who had cut their fingers on the treble pickup surround. Two of mine have 3rd-party blanking plates fitted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the Kay, it is the bottom of the pike as far as Ric copies go.

Hierarchy:

  1. Real Ric.
  2. Custom-made  (by a genuine luthier).
  3. John Birch.
  4. Japanese vintage thru-neck 33.5" scale (Greco, Shaftesbury).
  5. Japanese vintage bolt-on neck 34" scale (various Matsumoku).
  6. Eko vintage (some brands had Italian-made models).
  7. Hondo II (plywood body).
  8. Rockinbetter (the template of the Chickenbackers).
  9. The current Chickenbackers (AliExpress, etc.).
  10. A couple of copies which tried to get around trademark by using a different headstock.
  11. Kay.

I would have one for the curiosity value.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, prowla said:

My first Ric was an S model, so no issues there.

My others have binding and it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's the same with any guitar with binding, including acoustics.

I was chatting with someone who had cut their fingers on the treble pickup surround. Two of mine have 3rd-party blanking plates fitted.

I could get used to the binding again - I've lived with it for ten years after all - but i really think the only medically safe course of action is a 4003s.

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I spotted JH on my airport transfer bus last week. Well,  it's either him or Super Mario. 

 

20190903_073858.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2019 at 20:09, skankdelvar said:

 Also, anyone who names one of his product ranges after the family cat is always going to get a gold star from me.

What kind of a name is "4003" for a cat?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think they look fantastic, especially the walnut ones. Having owned and played two, however, nothing would induce me to buy another.

That Kay looks poke-your-own-eyes-out awful, tho...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

What kind of a name is "4003" for a cat?

It is an odd choice, considering Hall's habit of registering trademarks and other interlectual (sp) property. There's nothing wrong with numbering your cats, but of course numbers can't be registered.

That's the only reason that Barry Manilow fan @Maude can go around saying '4005' with impunity. 😬

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never owned a Riccardo, but nowt against them.   For any fans,  the track below is from an album, ( yeeeup, released on Vinyl  ) by some pals of mine. Jerry was the bassister on fretless Rick , fab player

I shared a house with Jerry,  and Dennis, the guitar wiz  ... Vintage 57 Gold Top Les Paul  no less

They were a great band, if you like that sort of music, and the whole album is on YT.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Never owned a Riccardo, but nowt against them.   For any fans,  the track below is from an album, ( yeeeup, released on Vinyl  ) by some pals of mine. Jerry was the bassister on fretless Rick , fab player

I shared a house with Jerry,  and Dennis, the guitar wiz  ... Vintage 57 Gold Top Les Paul  no less

They were a great band, if you like that sort of music, and the whole album is on YT.

 

An off topic plug for a mate's band - taking Ric nepotism too far 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They disbanded in the 80's    🤓

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...