Jazzmaster62

Do you have a FOH sound and a Stage sound?

More of a query than an actual question.

How many bass players gigging use a DI pedal/pre EQ DI to send a signal to the FOH and then use their amp as a separate stage sound? OR do you just send a post EQ DI signal instead? 

Would like to hear your views on this. 

I think as much as we'd all like our post EQ DI signal to go to FOH in reality it's usually the pre EQ DI that the sound engineer wants.  And for good reason usually because what sounds good in our amp doesn't usually translate well to the FOH system.

• Like 1

I've got an IEM sound and a FOH. Does that count? The IEM mix has lots of multiband comp going on and some added weight in the bass.

Sending my IEM mix to FOH with subwoofers would sound absolutely rubbish... but sending my FOH to my IEMs would sound comparatively thing and lacking.

3 hours ago, CliveT said:

I think as much as we'd all like our post EQ DI signal to go to FOH in reality it's usually the pre EQ DI that the sound engineer wants.  And for good reason usually because what sounds good in our amp doesn't usually translate well to the FOH system.

Which is why I've ditched my traditional bass rig for an RCF745 FRFR.

This and minimal colouration to the sound compared with a bass amp and cab(s). The RCF and the PA both get feeds directly from my Line6 Helix, with the PA at full volume and the RCF via the Helix volume control so I can set my on-stage level without affecting the level I'm sending to the PA. 

Tone-wise both get the same sounds. After all I've fine tuned my sounds to fit in with the rest of the band mix, so that's what I want to hear FoH from the PA - but louder. 

Posted (edited)

Now that I am using an active bass  through a Darkglass B3K (ran nearly on clean) and Keeley Bassist compressor, I don't mind if the sound engineer wants to use a DI box or take a pre-EQ signal from the amp. My basic sound is already set before it hits the amp. It is basically what I will send directly to the desk when recording so it is fine when going FOH. 

I tried splitting my signal a few times into 'wet' and 'dry' signals but the effort and extra faff was never worth the benefit to me personally. It sounds great when done well but generally when doing soundchecks on a three band bill, I am lucky if I get two minutes to set up a bass sound. 

When using a passive bass running straight into an amp, I am very wary of using a pre EQ signal unless I trust the sound engineer. I have done far too many gigs where the sound engineer has made taken a pre EQ signal and made a complete mess of a passive Fender bass. Of course, if a sound engineer can't EQ a passive Fender bass, there isn't much hope of them handing the vocals, guitars or drums either. It is for this reason I used a Sansamp Bass Driver on 'kinda like an SVT' settings for so many years when gigging with my Precision. It never sounded as great as using a really top end amp (Mesa, Aguilar, Ampeg SVT, EBS etc), but more importantly it was very difficult for the sound engineer to make the signal sound bad!

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

For me it differs: In small places like bars etc. I tend to use my amp-cab sound because the FOH usually is'nt really great for bass. They do take my post EQ DI signal form my amp (Fender Bassman 100t) but I usually tell them I would rather have my amp a bit louder and use the FOH for that little extra push. In bigger places I use the (pré EQ) DI signal from my amp, but a lot of my sound comes from my pedal's so that's okay for me. 

In my experience FOH engineers tend to like the DI from the bassman so I've got that going for me...

I very rarely get FOH these days so I have to carry the room with my gear. I find it's easy to fill the whole room with my current cabs.

If I DI then I'll prefer to use the post option from the amp which bypasses the cabs, so I guess then both sounds will be significantly different.

I have a Sansamp which I send FOH, which then means i can adjust the amp if my corner of the stage requires excessive eq'ing, and the engineer is usually happy as they normally recognise a Sansamp and like it. In my experience, they usually would only want a pre eq di if the bass player is adding excessive bass etc from an active bass/ preamp. 

Like BigRedX, I've sculpted a sound from a pedal board that I want to be heard. The stage rig is usually 1 Fearless F112 into the power section of an amp. I've had compliments from both stage and PA tone so I know it works well for both. Sound men are pleased because it's very little work on their side as I even use my own DI.

On 15/04/2019 at 15:23, BigRedX said:

Which is why I've ditched my traditional bass rig for an RCF745 FRFR.

This and minimal colouration to the sound compared with a bass amp and cab(s). The RCF and the PA both get feeds directly from my Line6 Helix, with the PA at full volume and the RCF via the Helix volume control so I can set my on-stage level without affecting the level I'm sending to the PA. 

Tone-wise both get the same sounds. After all I've fine tuned my sounds to fit in with the rest of the band mix, so that's what I want to hear FoH from the PA - but louder. 

I run pretty much this setup too with the Helix going in to a BF FR800.  The only difference in mine is that I add a cab IR to the signal going to the FRFR.  I leave that off the FOH feed as that effectively mirrors a post EQ DI from the amp head.  The great thing with the Helix is that you're not restricted to the traditional pre/post DI options.