Why become a member? ×

My F bass seriously damaged...Neck broken!

geoffbassist

:) As i was driving home today my boot came open, the bass fell out the car on the motorway and was runover many times in its case (overwater soft case). I had been driving for over an hour so it was a bit of a shock! luckly no one was hurt, except the bass....
Its a real nightmare, im a freelance bassist and this is my only instrument! I think i know someone who can lend me a bass to help over the christmas period but its a real blow, i really loved that bass, best ive ever owned.
I think an email to fbass to find out how much a new neck would be is the best way forward as the rest of the bass is ok....
It was really dangerous though and im lucky i didnt cause an accident... Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='349259' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:34 AM']:huh: As i was driving home today my boot came open, the bass fell out the car on the motorway and was runover many times in its case (overwater soft case). I had been driving for over an hour so it was a bit of a shock! luckly no one was hurt, except the bass....
Its a real nightmare, im a freelance bassist and this is my only instrument! I think i know someone who can lend me a bass to help over the christmas period but its a real blow, i really loved that bass, best ive ever owned.
I think an email to fbass to find out how much a new neck would be is the best way forward as the rest of the bass is ok....
It was really dangerous though and im lucky i didnt cause an accident...[/quote]
Ouch. :) That is not good.

Get that bass up to Jon Shuker (he's in Sheffield) or any other decent nearby luthier. Looks like a fairly clean break, so it should be fixable without too many issues, and it's probably cheaper than a new neck. But drop George Furlanetto a line - maybe if you send him the neck, he can sort it out for you. I gather he's a nice guy and very accommodating.

Moral of the story - the bass always rides in the passenger seat from now on. :huh:

yeh this is one of the only times its been in the boot but i was parked next to a wall so i couldnt get it in the passenger side.....you live and learn! im not sure about getting it fixed as the split is kinda down the finger board, but at least its not splintered.....
the whole thing is really odd!

Edited by geoffbassist

Geoff,

If you are stuck you can borrow a 4 string CIJ Fender jazz from me. Its got one fret that buzzes really badly but apart from that it plays ok and has a great tone relative to what it cost.

Drop me a PM if you need any help and we will sort something out. Hopefully someone a bit more local will offer to help you out worst case.

Sorry to hear about this.

Steve

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='349259' date='Dec 9 2008, 12:34 AM']....I think an email to fbass to find out how much a new neck would be is the best way forward as the rest of the bass is ok....[/quote]
While you're emailing Fbass, can you get this to a good repair man? If the break is clean enough maybe it could be repaired. There was a thread here last year about a broken neck, as bad as this, and it was succesfully repaired.

my eyes watered involuntarily when I saw that pic. :) Hope its salvagable Geoff but it looks very doubtful to me.

If the headstock facing had been left undamaged, it could have been transplanted onto a new neck. If you can't send the bass back to George, then I'd be inclined to appeal to him to send over a headstock facing and get someone like Martin Petersen or Jon Shuker or Chris May (or anyone else who has a reputation for crafting good necks) to take care of the rest. The one thing George won't be able to guess before sending over a new neck is how to achieve a tight neck pocket fit.

Nightmare!
:)
Andy Viccars in Milton Keynes has a huge amount of experience & knowledge with neck break repairs - I've seen some amazing work he's done on a number of Gibsons (notorious for neck breaks) including a '64 335 that was in a terrible state & now looks perfect - [url="http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/explorer.php"]check this one out on his website[/url].
He'd definitely give you good advice...
But I would start at F Bass - as I suspect a new neck might be the best (& maybe the quickest?) option.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='urb' post='349365' date='Dec 9 2008, 09:02 AM']That's actually my worst bass nightmare come true - I'm so sorry for you man - just glad it wasn't any worse interms of a pile up etc - hope you can get her repaired

M[/quote]
+1

If I lived near to you, I'd be more than happy to lend you a bass but hopefully, some Basschat help is at hand much closer to home.. Best of luck with it...

First, I'm really sorry to hear about this - we all take precautions but sometimes things like this just happen. I hope there's a happy outcome in terms of repair. I use Ged Green in Manchester - he's extremely good and very experienced with respsect to neck breaks and may be able to help. I can see that you're getting good offers. I have a couple of basses (decent stuff) that I won't be using over the next month or two and would be happy to offer a loan. PM if you're interested.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='349259' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:34 AM']:) As i was driving home today my boot came open, the bass fell out the car on the motorway and was runover many times in its case (overwater soft case). I had been driving for over an hour so it was a bit of a shock! luckly no one was hurt, except the bass....
It was really dangerous though and im lucky i didnt cause an accident...[/quote]

That's seriously upsetting (I'm waiting for a BN5 to arrive as we speak)

If you contact George about a replacement neck, mention to him about a cosmetic second, I know he has a maple one there with a small grain stain on it around the 17th fret. It still looks great and would obviously be cheaper. You could then maybe get someone like Martin Peterson to fit it.

Best of luck and so sorry.

[quote name='lozbass' post='349566' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:52 AM']First, I'm really sorry to hear about this - we all take precautions but sometimes things like this just happen. I hope there's a happy outcome in terms of repair. I use Ged Green in Manchester - he's extremely good and very experienced with respsect to neck breaks and may be able to help. I can see that you're getting good offers. I have a couple of basses (decent stuff) that I won't be using over the next month or two and would be happy to offer a loan. PM if you're interested.[/quote]

thanks for that, ive managed to sort out a bass, also emailed george, im off to take it to my luthier in leeds to get it looked at......what a bummer!