Why become a member? ×

Are bassists default UN peacekeepers ?

Quilly

I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time putting out fires between singer and guitarist in more than one band. Always talking folk back from the ledge.

It must be tough on a lead guitarist when audiences focus so fully on the vocalist when they (the guitarist) believe themselves the most charismatic, important member of the band.

Add to that the simple fact that the drummer doesn't care if the guitar is there or not and the bass player is effortlessly the coolest guy/gal in the room, and you can see how that inflated ego gets so easily bruised.

They then lash out. Drummer shrugs, bass player sighs, singer bites.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time putting out fires between singer and guitarist in more than one band. Always talking folk back from the ledge.

It must be tough on a lead guitarist when audiences focus so fully on the vocalist when they (the guitarist) believe themselves the most charismatic, important member of the band.

Add to that the simple fact that the drummer doesn't care if the guitar is there or not and the bass player is effortlessly the coolest guy/gal in the room, and you can see how that inflated ego gets so easily bruised.

They then lash out. Drummer shrugs, bass player sighs, singer bites.

I’m in a situation where I play bass for various ‘groups’ of musicians (due to lack of bassists ) so I’m usually introducing one insecure diva to another ... usually end in tears with me in the middle (the drummer is also usually in 5 other bands and doesn’t care ). I love just standing at the back of the room with a few beers on the go and playing great bass lines .

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Nail/head. Those guitar-folk just can’t handle being Number Two. It also seems to really get their goats that no matter how much super gear they buy the singer strolls in carrying nothing (where the guitarist has all but moved house with the amount of gear they have) and all the attention is on said singer. 

The smart ones learn to sing lead vocals imo, to stop this bane of their lives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norris said:

A bit of bass player diplomacy this morning. I'm not sure if one of the song suggestions would work.

"I listened to XYZ this morning - might need a bit of arrangement to suit our lineup" :D

I think my version of diplomacy wouldn't get me into the UN peacekeepers. "Oh god no, it's stinky poo".

• Haha 1

We have our first paid gig this Thursday. I set it up, and invited a duo who both used to play with us to open for us, and jam with us for the third set. Saturday we all got together for the keys player's 60th birthday party and agreed that we'd play exactly what we were planning for the gig. All seemed to go well and everyone seemed to be happy.

Then this morning the harp/vox in the duo sent a stinking email to the venue organiser claiming that he had arranged the gig, they were going to headline, and did she know if any other bands were going to be there? Followed this up by complaining to us that I had suddenly taken over organising it and even written their setlist - when what I had done was to send them our setlist and a suggestion for the third shared set. 

The guitarist in the duo was so angry that he's broken up the duo. Leaving us with three days (and one practice) to put together 2+ hours of material rather than the one hour we've prepared. 

It's a real shame, because the two of them sounded really good together. I'm sorry they've split, I was thinking about ways to help them get gigs. And I'm worried about Harpo, he's not usually like that afaIk. 

I'm also having trouble calming down. Luckily everyone else involved agrees that he's behaved badly and I've done no wrong. The guitarist is going to come and sit in with us. It will still be an "interesting" gig. 😞 

Please excuse me ranting, I trust you guys to understand. 

• Sad 3

Rant away, @josie; rant away. Then put it away in its place, in the past. You are responsible for your thoughts, deeds and interpretations, everyone else has that same responsibility, and will have to assume it. If the wrong end of the stick has been taken, let it go, and deal as best you can with what comes up. No point fretting or trying to analyse what others have understood of things, rightly or wrongly; just pick up the pieces and do your usual best. Life goes on, and it's not impossible that the future holds a reconciliation. What's the expression..? Oh yes... 'S**t happens'. Carry on, and enjoy the event with those that know and trust you. They're what count; the rest is blowin' in the wind. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1