Why become a member? ×

Mexican MIM Fenders....Show us yours!

Slapbass Shaun

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

It's taken 3 weeks to get this pickup cover. Mainly my fault, but Dv247 didn't help. Thomann & Ups did great though. 

Worth the wait though, it looks great 😎

Mysteries of the universe...

eBay (and the wider shopping world) is awash with cheap Jazz bass pickup covers, J-bridge covers and P-bridge covers.

But you can only get P-bass pickup covers sourced from Fender.

Does anyone know why?

On 11/03/2020 at 07:09, lonestar said:

I was thinking of upgrading the stock bridge on my new fsr p bass to either a fender brass high mass (27 quid seems a good deal) or a babicz or something similar. Any thoughts, is it worth it ?

What I’ve done with my MIM Precision is buy a Gotoh 203 bass plate, which is chunkier and has pre-cut grooves in for the saddles. I then used the saddles etc from the original so from a distance it all looks stock but I have the advantage of the grooves to stop any sideways movement, plus the higher mass plate - in case that makes any difference to the sound. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2020 at 01:09, lonestar said:

I was thinking of upgrading the stock bridge on my new fsr p bass to either a fender brass high mass (27 quid seems a good deal) or a babicz or something similar. Any thoughts, is it worth it ?

Having recently put together 5 basses, I bought an array of used and new bridges.  The stock Fender BBOT, is my favorite.

the Gotoh and Hipshot offerings look cooler, but not worth the extra expense.

Doesn't the FSR come with the Fender Badass copy?  Those are pretty sweet already.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2020 at 07:09, lonestar said:

Some good advice above.

The only thing I'd add is regarding Hipshot (I've had a B Style, aluminium is best for light weight) because of the top loading slots which makes taking strings off and on a doddle. But, it comes down to how often do you change your strings to decide if that's important to you... 

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/b-style-fender-mount-bridges

18 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

Having recently put together 5 basses, I bought an array of used and new bridges.  The stock Fender BBOT, is my favorite.

the Gotoh and Hipshot offerings look cooler, but not worth the extra expense.

Doesn't the FSR come with the Fender Badass copy?  Those are pretty sweet already.

Thanks that’s really helpful

It has theBBOT type bridge, albeit slightly chunkier than the older ones.

0158FB74-DB02-460E-896C-1FD24DF3E0EE.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Some good advice above.

The only thing I'd add is regarding Hipshot (I've had a B Style, aluminium is best for light weight) because of the top loading slots which makes taking strings off and on a doddle. But, it comes down to how often do you change your strings to decide if that's important to you... 

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/b-style-fender-mount-bridges

Thanks 

I change mine twice a year, whether they need it or not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lonestar said:

It has theBBOT type bridge, albeit slightly chunkier than the older ones.

My favourite bridges are the fender vintage style with threaded saddles , I’ve got them on 3 jazzes and 1 P , if you’re changing to a high mass or similar, some have a thicker base plate which could can raise your action , might be worth just checking if you play with a really low action like me 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK - here's one I picked up recently; it's had a hard life...

cnevLEa.jpg

UiradMJ.jpg

OlZjMVG.jpg

kr91OPs.jpg

Getting it sorted is on my to-do list; stripping the finish and seeing whether the body is OK should be the first step. (It plays OK, so there's hope!)

For a brighter outlook, this is a Strat I'm working on; I bought the rather nice body from a shop and built it out from there.

SicyOAw.jpg

abQQfa3.jpg

I decided to go gold and the first bits fitted were a Schaller Floyd and some strap buttons; it took a while for a neck to appear.

On 28/12/2018 at 09:21, BassAgent said:

Any reason to show my 2nd favourite bass of all time is a good reason!

y1hFEkN.jpg
2002 fretless, new bridge (Gotoh), new pickguard, epoxied fingerboard and Lollar pickups. 1 of the best basses I've ever played.

A bit in the same ballpark: 2003 body, new fretless neck, gotoh bridge, upgraded pickups. Scratch plate was on it when I bought the body. Seems to be identical to Darryl Jones's. Makes me like it even more.

20200518_162551.jpg

Edited by lksmks792

• 2 months later...