Why become a member? ×

Gigging in London?

Happy Jack

It just gets harder and harder. If you weren't already aware of ULEZ then you really should be.

Phase #1 (the existing Congestion Charge zone) arrives in six months. Phase #2 (all of London inside the North & South Circular) follows in three years.

Start here just to see if your current vehicle will be hit by this:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Only 'proper' music venues have PA and lights. Pubs and similar, where most cover bands play, don't, and expect the bands to provide the equipment as part of the deal.

That explains it, I’ve only ever played at venues. They’ve tended to be fully equipped, even down to drum kits.

40 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Just checked and it failed. This is a good thing because it gives me another compelling justification not to go up to London when the Missus starts banging on about art galleries and Peter Jones in Sloane Square.

Thank you, Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London - you may have f**ked up tens of thousands of people but you have immeasurably enrichened my life.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Only 'proper' music venues have PA and lights. Pubs and similar, where most cover bands play, don't, and expect the bands to provide the equipment as part of the deal.

yes - somewhere like the Boston Arms, Dublin Castle, etc will have a PA, likely some amps lying around, and at worst another band who you can share gear with - my preferred technique is to turn up on the tube with my bass and a Sansamp and DI.  But the local boozer gigs will expect you to bring everything.

I’m personally of the opinion that we're too reliant on cars. What London is doing is ultimately good, Birmingham are introducing charging in the near future too. I’d rather not breath air that’s polluted by car and lorry exhaust fumes. If you play in a band and absolutely need to drive to a gig to carry your equipment then car share, organise amongst yourselves so you’re travelling in the minimum number of vehicles. I’m no doubt going to get a lot of dislikes for this, but we simply can’t carry on as we are, gridlocked roads and pollution, it’s unsustainable.

• Like 6

We have a (vaguely) similar situation, albeit not in London. These days gigs are planned to the precision of "The Italian Job" (the first one, not the crappy sequel) and we deliberately go into, then plan our route out of, busy city centres and various events which inevitably attract big crowds. For example, the PA is now this:

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-Eurolive-B205D-Active-150W-PA-Monitor/CEZ

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

It just gets harder and harder. If you weren't already aware of ULEZ then you really should be.

Phase #1 (the existing Congestion Charge zone) arrives in six months. Phase #2 (all of London inside the North & South Circular) follows in three years.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

Another thing to be aware of is that the daily period runs midnight-midnight.  So for a late-finishing gig, you might have to pay twice!

14 minutes ago, steantval said:

Sadiq Khan hammering the final nails in the coffin of smaller live music venues, hard up musicians in older vehicles being hit with additional costs, are they worth playing.☹️

I consider my car fairly new, it is a 2014 model, but it still gets hammered under this new charge.

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

I think the ULEZ is a fantastic notion, especially as my car seems to be exempt. Yah! Boo! Sucks! OK, that's not very sympathetic. But we gotta get diesels outta the city, man! What about the children? Won't somebody think of the children??

There to young to drive and go to pub gigs.

Edited by steantval

35 minutes ago, steantval said:

Sadiq Khan hammering the final nails in the coffin of smaller live music venues, hard up musicians in older vehicles being hit with additional costs, are they worth playing.☹️

He’s doing it for a reason, don’t blame him for what he’s doing. Something has to be done. Can you think of anything better?

• Like 2