Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy Folks,

So I'm considering a multi-fx solution to replace my fairly modest pedal board.  I never got on with the ZOOM B3 and it's kind of put me off multi effects but the Helix Stomp does seem to get some love here.  PMT have a decent black friday offer and I have some money in PayPal from a guitar sale to cover the cost so I want to make a decision on whether to pull the trigger or not and am reaching out for some input from you guys

Demos of the Amp/Cab sims on YouTube sound good but I could find much for the effects with a bass.

So big question is do the effects work well for Bass? 

The must have's for me

- Octave Down

- Env. Filter

- Compression

- Parametric EQ

Would Like to have

- Fuzz

- Delay

- Chorus

Nice to have

- Analogue synth sounds

Thanks

PJ

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I too didnt really get on with the Zoom stuff, at least not when it comes to using them live. 

For me the Filter and Phaser effects are the biggest let downs in the Helix stuff. At least, i cant get either to sound quite as good as my MXR Filter or TCE Helix (oh the irony). Usable though. I'm only just getting in to using Octave down, and for now its just a gimmick for me, but the boxes do seem to track well. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I too didnt really get on with the Zoom stuff, at least not when it comes to using them live. 

For me the Filter and Phaser effects are the biggest let downs in the Helix stuff. At least, i cant get either to sound quite as good as my MXR Filter or TCE Helix (oh the irony). Usable though. I'm only just getting in to using Octave down, and for now its just a gimmick for me, but the boxes do seem to track well. 

Thanks Dave, 

I just watched the Andertons video on the LT which did cover a number of the FX.   I believe the effects and sims are the same but you can use less of them on the stomp.

@PJ-Bassist Good set of Qs. My thoughts for what they're worth:

Your must have's 

• Octave Down - excellent tracking, I've had a fair number of octave pedals and this matches the best of them. Won't provide you with that classic OC2 tone though, but great for clean blend.
  • Env. Filter - ok
  • Compression - not my area of expertise(!) but I think a lot of folk rate the Helix
  • Parametric EQ - very good

Would Like to have

• Fuzz - good, I've not managed to get a meaty low end yet, but messing around with crossovers and parallel loops should hopefully do the trick
  • Delay - excellent
  • Chorus - excellent

Nice to have

• Analogue synth sounds - not on a par with actual synth pedals (e.g. FI, Boss SY-1)

No doubt other folk will chime in to provide you with a balanced set of views

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Thanks Dave, 

I just watched the Andertons video on the LT which did cover a number of the FX.   I believe the effects and sims are the same but you can use less of them on the stomp.

Yes, all the boxes now have the same effects. Most of the videos on YT are also using the older FW, so there were a few more effects etc available to us now. 

I love my Stomp but dont find it as practical to use live as the HX Effects. Each has its own speciality, the Stomp is more complete, just smaller, but the HX Effects has a few advantages and for me its the better one to use outside the house. Glad i started off with the Stomp and doubt ill get rid of it just yet. 

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yes, all the boxes now have the same effects. Most of the videos on YT are also using the older FW, so there were a few more effects etc available to us now. 

I love my Stomp but dont find it as practical to use live as the HX Effects. Each has its own speciality, the Stomp is more complete, just smaller, but the HX Effects has a few advantages and for me its the better one to use outside the house. Glad i started off with the Stomp and doubt ill get rid of it just yet. 

I seem to have accidentally ordered and HX Effects and listed all my pedals for sale ;/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I seem to have accidentally ordered and HX Effects and listed all my pedals for sale ;/

Good work. I'm sure you will have lots of fun before buying them all back lol. (Kidding). 

I sold my Q/strip but ended up buying it back. I dont think ill sell my MXR fIlter as i cant get the same sound from the Helix, although it's close. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Oh dear, I meant to add to my earlier post that:

PLEASE NOTE that the views expressed above are solely those of the user (abuser) of the HX unit and should not be relied upon: any buying or selling of HX multifxs resulting are made entirely at the risk of individual so doing. 

😁

• Haha 2

Just now, Al Krow said:

Oh dear, I meant to add to my earlier post that:

PLEASE NOTE that the views expressed above are solely those of the user (abuser) of the HX unit and should not be relied upon: any buying or selling of HX multifxs resulting are made entirely at the risk of individual so doing. 

😁

There will be a mass exodus over to the main Helix tips and ideas thread soon........ 🙂

More seriously - congrats Patrick.

Interesting that the HX Effects seems to be making a bit of a come back - several BC'ers seem to have gone for this option recently either substituting other HX pedals or going for this one as their first HX multi.

I blame Dave (always easiest IMO) for starting this trend. So you can sue him. Did I just start this post with 'more seriously'?