Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

On 23/02/2019 at 15:12, Merton said:

This is very true, and one of the reasons behind my brain pursuing it as a genuinely sensible course of action....

I found that the relative cheapness of these cabs was more than compensated fro by trips to the osteopath.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2019 at 20:17, Dem Jolie-blues said:

So,  how's that work with River Song as the doctors  wife now ?

You think that's complicated? The tenth Doctor married his daughter, who was actually the fifth Doctor's daughter, so he became his own son-in-law in an incestuous relationship.

Back to the topic at hand - the purchase of a Line 6 HD500 has definitely put me out of tier 1 running. I suppose we can't have a "it was a real bargain" category, can we?

23 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You think that's complicated? The tenth Doctor married his daughter, who was actually the fifth Doctor's daughter, so he became his own son-in-law in an incestuous relationship.

Yeh, but that was probably back in 70s when that sort of thing was compulsory.

Fortunately wouldn't happen today.

And no, you can't get an exemption for getting a real bargain 😛

well I'm out !

went to a yum cha the other week, parked near a Cash Converters.......

had an EHX C9 organ pedal, bought that. Next day went back and bought the Hofner Beatle bass they had , in mint condition.

A week later went to a music shop and bought the Elf amp with the 10" cab, reading that the Oz distributor was out of stock and there will be a new distributor, I went back and grabbed the last 10" cab they had so I have the full output of the Elf. great light little package I must say

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

well I'm out !

went to a yum cha the other week, parked near a Cash Converters.......

had an EHX C9 organ pedal, bought that. Next day went back and bought the Hofner Beatle bass they had , in mint condition.

A week later went to a music shop and bought the Elf amp with the 10" cab, reading that the Oz distributor was out of stock and there will be a new distributor, I went back and grabbed the last 10" cab they had so I have the full output of the Elf. great light little package I must say

I think that's what they call a 'binge relapse' 😂

Si

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I currently have a guitar (not a bass) at the menders to have the neck reshaped. 

Am I still in 😕

I’d say so....it’s extreme maintenance?! Lol

Plus guitars are silly soooo.....

Si

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeh, but that was probably back in 70s when that sort of thing was compulsory.

Fortunately wouldn't happen today.

😛Ooh, the 70's, yes, I had a high old time back then !!,  now it's all PC cyber friends and don't  let me catch you looking at my 'bits',    worrying  ....

I've had a good run but I've fallen off the wagon. Had a shocking year financially so it wasn't a problem to curtail the spending but I need a phaser so I've splashed out a massive £16 on a Joyo Vintage Phaser off ebay.

1 hour ago, DaytonaRik said:

Does buying a van to carry your PA in count?  Of course, it also doubles as a mountain/road bike carrier plus day-to-day commuter to the station so it's not strictly for band use...?

Next you'll be saying that you only bought a P to knock in tent pegs...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Two and a half months gone and I'm still in.

I've had a couple of near misses though, most notably a Wal Mk2 that was for sale at Bass Direct. Fortunately it was almost identical to my Mk3, so that delayed any interest and it's gone now, so that's a relief.

They still have that Fodera Monarch P4 that keeps looking at me invitingly - must resist.

If the right SR5 Special came along, that might be me done for though, plus I keep looking at the Flea Artist Series in Inca Silver 🙄

I'll do well to make it to 2020 without falling off the wagon.

At least when you fall off the wagon, you're gonna do it in some style! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Two and a half months gone and I'm still in.

I've had a couple of near misses though, most notably a Wal Mk2 that was for sale at Bass Direct. Fortunately it was almost identical to my Mk3, so that delayed any interest and it's gone now, so that's a relief.

They still have that Fodera Monarch P4 that keeps looking at me invitingly - must resist.

If the right SR5 Special came along, that might be me done for though, plus I keep looking at the Flea Artist Series in Inca Silver 🙄

I'll do well to make it to 2020 without falling off the wagon.

As Mr Krow says, at least there will be some style in your exit, can’t fault that. 

I’m enjoying the challenge, as of last week I’m 6 months into this and have one less bass than when I started. Can’t work out if I’m sensibly content with what I have, or just plain old sadistic...

• Haha 1

Pah to opinions- I like, you like that’s enough in my book, peeps complaining of price point, everyone has their own budgets 

i like this

https://www.espguitars.com/products/20545-rb-1004sm-2nd?category_id=1964638-bass-clearance

thr bridge pup arguments will come out, but I reckon Rocco knows a thing or two.

https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/issues/issue-28/reviews/esp-ltd-rocco-prestia-rb-10004-bass/

@Dood killing it

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve just noticed that although it’s a P bass, it has ‘Jazz Bass’ on the headstock. I know it’s a Jazz neck, but is it me, or that a bit odd given it’s a Custom Shop bass?

Not if that’s what was requested I guess?!

Si

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve just noticed that although it’s a P bass, it has ‘Jazz Bass’ on the headstock. I know it’s a Jazz neck, but is it me, or that a bit odd given it’s a Custom Shop bass?

The bit that the headstock is attached to is Jazz bass. Maybe there could be another decal on the body saying "Precision bass" just to confuse people.