Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

57 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Gifts are allowed if they’re unsolicited (however you are allowed to state a preference if asked). However, strings are allowed regardless, as they’re a consumable.

Si

Like-for-like yes, but I'd have thought replacing still perfectly good b0g standard rounds with something more interesting like tapes or flats was outside the rules? 

5 minutes ago, josie said:

Like-for-like yes, but I'd have thought replacing still perfectly good b0g standard rounds with something more interesting like tapes or flats was outside the rules? 

Happy to assume that people will at some point want to experiment with different strings for different gigs. Fairly safe to assume no-one is spending thousands on collecting different strings sets haha. If you are, congrats, you found a loop-hole  😂

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dem Jolie-blues said:

Ooh !,  1275 or 1301 cc  ?,  excellent  Minilites,   got an LSD in there ?,  maybe a bag-tank for the fuel ?, go on, give us some specs for when its sorted please

Ok, very quick spec run down to avoid hijacking the gear thread: 1380cc, balanced crank, Swiftune SW5 cam, stage 4+ head, HIF44 carb, matched manifold & exhaust, race flywheel, Quaife ATB diff, straight cut drop gears, 3.9 FD ratio, rally clutch, full cage, race seats on rails bolted to strengthened floor, proper 4 point harnesses, adjustable tie rods & bottom arms and rear camber brackets, alloy 4 pot caliper front brakes with vented discs & braided hoses, solid subframe mounts, race "springs", adjustable shocks... there's lots more little details like oil breathers and catch tank and stuff. It's done for MSA sprint & hillclimb regs, and it works very nicely :)

• Thanks 1

Just seen this topic.I won't join in, because I don't currently even own an amp and that is something I'll buy  this year. But by coincidence I did say to the missus earlier today that I wasn't going to buy any more CDs until I have listed to the whole lot though again. That I suspect will take me through into 2021!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Just seen this topic.I won't join in, because I don't currently even own an amp and that is something I'll buy  this year. But by coincidence I did say to the missus earlier today that I wasn't going to buy any more CDs until I have listed to the whole lot though again. That I suspect will take me through into 2021!

Hmmm, that's kinda like me agreeing not to buy any tape cassettes... 😄 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have underestimated how difficult this will be haha.
In the interests of transparency, I've enquired about two basses.....I'm not proud of myself 🤭

Nothing has come of them (a Lakland 5 string, and an Elrick). There's also a Lakland Skyline 44-60 in FS that would make a lovely replacement for my Bass Collection fretless

Oh dear.

Si

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I think I may have underestimated how difficult this will be haha.
In the interests of transparency, I've enquired about two basses.....I'm not proud of myself 🤭

Nothing has come of them (a Lakland 5 string, and an Elrick). There's also a Lakland Skyline 44-60 in FS that would make a lovely replacement for my Bass Collection fretless

Oh dear.

Si

Glad I’m not the only one struggling 🤓 Almost enquired about Brother Jones’ ACG J Type, keep seeing bits of obscure Ashdown kit I want and there’s a Maruszczyk at Bass Direct which is singing its Siren song at me....

• Like 1

I sold my beloved 66 P Bass this week. My wife needing a new car was the catalyst, but the high value of the bass always bothered me anyway. Still a shame to let it go, but not a biggie in the grand scheme of things. 

The upside here is that buying a cheaper P Bass isn’t even on the radar, especially for this year. 

And I’m so tired of buying basses... who’d have thought?!!

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Not me for one 😮

I guess I’m lucky enough to have owned (and sold) all I wanted to, and have now come full circle back to Music Mans as my main pick! 

Edit - I meant to say ‘buying basses’ in my other post!!! 

Edited by Chiliwailer

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I uncased all my basses last week and paraded up and down the line stating quite firmly that one of them (at least) was going.

I couldn't decide which one and cased them all up again. Terrible state of affairs really, albeit very much a first world problem.

Surely you took a picture of the vast amount of basses or was the line just to long .....

Edited by bassfan

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I uncased all my basses last week and paraded up and down the line stating quite firmly that one of them (at least) was going.

I couldn't decide which one and cased them all up again. Terrible state of affairs really, albeit very much a first world problem.

HR have advised that you need to put them on a performance plan with a six monthly review. 

But if you list them out for us, I'm sure we'll be able to help.

In fact you could even do a poll: "If money was no object which bass would you get rid of?!" That'll be a good one for the weekend 😁

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

Yep...I’ve done badly. 

Pedal board

emma discombobulator

tc spectracomp

tc subnup

Mesa M6 Carbine. 

New in ear system (on way)

status S2 (collect next week although paid for most of it last year)

epic fail..... 😂😂

Shame, it was such a near miss. If only you hadn't got that Sub'n'up eh?

I'll happily take the blame for 1) and 5) 

Face it the M6 would be worth getting for one third of its current "new" price in mint condition every day of the week, month, year and beyond... 

I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone has bought a compressor because of me!!!! Bloody hell that would be like Labour and Tory MPs sitting side by side in Parliament! 

😁

• Haha 1