Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

15 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

So with those going out in style, who’s left? 

I’m still in. I have an odd hankering for a massive cab for my new rock band but since it’s not really that active it’s an entirely purposeless case of GAS. Apart from the three (ooops) basses commissioned last year which are still ongoing I really shouldn’t be needing anything this year at all and there’s no excuse for me falling off the wagon.

Edited by Merton
Smelling pistake

32 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’m still in. I have an odd hankering for a massive cab for my new rock band but since it’s not really that active it’s an entirely purposeless case of GAS. Apart from the three (ooops) basses commissioned last year which are still ongoing I really shouldn’t be needing anything this year at all and there’s no excuse for me falling off the wagon.

How massive? 😄 

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

Ok not that massive. 4x10.

And Andy, I no longer have the Elf, as it became an unviable option anyways 🤣

Dang! Just sold a MB410 which I'm going to need to arrange to courier to NI. I'm really hoping that you would have been very uninterested in that 'cos Surrey would be a darned sight easier to have met up half way! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Merton said:

Yep, not a fan of MarkBass stuff I’m pleased to say :)

Phew! Never thought I'd be so pleased to hear someone say that! 

But you're nevertheless partial to a spot Ashdown I am led to believe? Although no longer the pointy ear variety

😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Phew! Never thought I'd be so pleased to hear someone say that! 

But you're nevertheless partial to a spot Ashdown I am led to believe? Although no longer the pointy ear variety

😁

Ashdown and Barefaced are my go to noise making devices, yes :)

28 minutes ago, Merton said:

Ashdown and Barefaced are my go to noise making devices, yes :)

I'm definitely with you all part of the way on that one 😂

So is it going to be a BF 410 or are you going to go the way of Andy and me delve into the lush darkness of a VK410?

Oh dear...I seem to have side tracked another thread which is about avoiding gear with a sales pitch for Vanderkley. Lol!

Ok to make amends and get things back on track: I've only bought two used pedals so far this year (at the start of Jan) and both were Bassfan's fault.  

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm definitely with you all part of the way on that one 😂

So is it going to be a BF 410 or are you going to go the way of Andy and me delve into the lush darkness of a VK410?

Neither. For some reason I want an old heavy Ashdown ABM cab; they sound amazing but are hugely impractical for the music I’m playing. Honestly no idea what goes on in my brain half the time. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Merton said:

Neither. For some reason I want an old heavy Ashdown ABM cab; they sound amazing but are hugely impractical for the music I’m playing. Honestly no idea what goes on in my brain half the time. 

Every time my brain comes up that sort of idea, I remind it about venues like Hebden Bridge Trades Club and the outdoor iron stairs all the gear gets carried up (and down). My brain goes back to thinking happy thoughts about Barefaced cabs then.

• Like 2

Just now, Merton said:

This is very true, and one of the reasons behind my brain pursuing it as a genuinely sensible course of action....

It seems to me that the parts of your brain need to sit down and have a good old chin wag with each other. Open and honest communication and all that...

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

Don’t be ridiculous, that would keep me awake all night long 🤓

Nah! Let em get on with it while you dream of having superman strength and being able to cart Ashdown 410s up rickety iron staircases with a two finger lift...😄 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nah! Let em get on with it while you dream of having superman strength and being able to cart Ashdown 410s up rickety iron staircases with a two finger lift...😄 

The two finger lift is a novel way of describing my band mates' reaction when I asked them for a hand getting my gear up the stairs last time we played Hebden!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jonunders said:

I don't need to join the challenge, my wife says I cannot have any more gear

Is she the one standing next to you on the left in your profile pic? If so, suggest you both see the Doctor and get a medical note as to why you should be allowed more bass gear...😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1