Left leaderboard
franzbassist

Compact drum kits

Looking for recommendations.  My 15 yo son is gigging regularly with my band now, and we just don't have the space to fit all my stuff, 2 PA subs and a full size kit in the car!

Am aware of the Pearl Midtown and Ludwig Breakbeats, but what else is out there?

Cheers

Gareth

If you get a compact kit, pay very close attention to the hoop on the bass drum. Theres two designs - the hoop with an indent - and a hoop without. Make sure your son test drives the kit out, paying close attention to what his happening to the the throw and the feedback that he is getting through the bass drum pedal. The placement of the pedal on a small kick drum, changes the geometry of the kick beater compared to a standard kit... most drummers find the kits with the indent in the hoop more natural.

I'm all for small kits, they are quieter and when miced up and put through the PA, they can be made to sound as big as you like. Good choice! Have a search for be bop kits. That's where I suspect you are at.

VD36MWSVBG_LGE.jpg

Anyway, back to the kick beater... The above highlights the fact - you can see that the angles between kits are open to wide variances. Do not buy blind! Get your son to really try them out - concentrating on the kick and how it feels. Hope this helps.

Thanks both.  He plays a Midtown kit at school so that has set the benchmark.  

edit: I noticed just after posting this that Sakae have recently ceased trading, so even though some UK retailers have stock at reduced prices, warranty cover and long term parts availability might be an issue.

The Sakae PacD might be worth looking at - looks like the manufacturers put a bit more effort into the bass drum mounting solution.

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

Ended up going with a Pearl EX785/C kit with 18x14 bass :)

pearlexport-black3pc-10inch-1.jpg

Edited by franzbassist

In an attempt to reduce my band's footprint and volume without losing the drive and presence of drums, we bought one of these: https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/WHD-Portable-Busker-Shell-Kit/2Z2D

Of course it needs hi hat and a cymbal and a stool and a kick drum pedal, but the main component folds onto itself, and everything now fits in a backpack and a large cymbal bag instead of several bags.

The sound is pretty good, especially once you've swapped out the stock skins with your (or our drummer's) favourite ones.

Of course, Pearl's offer would be good too:

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Pearl-Compact-Traveler-Shell-Pack/1WTH