Why become a member? ×

I've been wasting time and money..

TheGreek

So, like many here, I've spent lots of time and money "researching" basses and amps. Some of the gear I've acquired I love, others "not so much".

In the past 10 years I've probably owned 50+ basses in the search for the ultimate tone palette. The list reads like a What's what of quality basses - Wal, Ritter, Status, Overwater, Shuker,  Warwick, Spector, I've got a number of custom builds, I've even owned a Fender or two. 

I generally have basses on a rota, play them for 3-4 months put them back in their case, bring another out. One of the basses I've neglected to play (been in it's case unplayed for over 3 years) is a Veillette Citron - most of you haven't even heard of them, never mind played one. One of less than a handful in the UK, It's always been top of my list of my "never to be sold" list. I also had a fretless which I foolishly sold here, only because it wasn't getting played.

I rotated basses yesterday, went looking for my Overwater Jazz but instead pulled out the VC. Recognising it hadn't been out for a while I took it to the amp and plugged it in.

WOW!!

Yes WOW!! Indeed!!

I now remember why I decided that this would be "the last to go" - man, it blew my mind. Tough, kicking tones - proper punchy - everything I've ever wanted tones-wise from a bass. Made me question why I've ever bought anything else ( other than i wouldn't really want to take it anywhere it might get hurt/stolen).

All this time chasing the "unobtainable" when the whole time I've had what I wanted in a case. 

Photos and sound clips to follow.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

I know what you mean, Mick. I`ve been racking my brains deciding what basses to keep/sell, and have finally made my decision, being the three US Precisions that I have that have no mods at all, plus a Vintage Tony Butler Sig Precision as backup. I`d been thinking of different permutations, colours, value etc, and then realised I was looking at it all wrong, simply which do I like playing the most should be the question I needed to answer.

• Like 2

It's probably more to do with what you want in a bass tone has changed over the years. Also, you obviously have way too much money to waste on high end instruments. i will send you my address and you can send the ones you have not played for more than 3 months to a deserving home. Mine.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

What a fab bass - I remember seeing these advertised in a guitar mag ages ago (late '70's?) and thinking at the time what an attractive and unusual looking bass it was.   Never seen one in the flesh, so can believe they're rare.  I wonder if the design inspired Pedulla ?

I don't  think GAS has any logic to it at all - I found the bass tone I wanted years ago (Ovation Magnum 1 fretless through an old Eden VT.40) but it hasn't stopped me trading at least 20 basses and amps since......  o.O

You are a lucky man , Mick. I've owned over 200 basses and quite as many amps over the last 30 years to always come back to my friend Christophe Leduc's basses (and have owned around 40 Leduc's) and definitely decided to only use my AER BassCube v1.

So, now, I know I won't part with 3 Leduc's (Masterpiece MP 628 SF, U-Basse UMM6 and that very special EUB Moaï 6 L-009) as they have exactly the sound I've always been looking for.

AND NOW, I KNOW IT !

That said, I tried many many many years ago (you know when Alembic was the bass to own) a Veillette-Citron and was impressed by everything including the price. :crigon_04: