Why become a member? ×

Signs a luthier's off ones rocker

jebroad

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

Try the Seymour Duncan forums or post it here maybe ??

https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/97-guitars/

I'm sure we can find some bass related luthier tomfoolery. Disappearing frets, whammy bars on bass, Wishbass (although they have their fans on here), and of course there are a couple of favourites in the Ebay section - the Tennessee, and he who shan't be named.

Cracking basses. The Ambrosia Maple (right) weighs 7lb, Bloodwood (left) weighs 12lb. Bloodwood doesn't float in water,that's how dense it is :D

4xQ5fqw.jpg

Though Steve-W briefly worked for Ovation Guitars he's always been involved in hillbilly music. That's his market, $200-$300 hand made basses,that they look hand made is intentional. Let's face it a $20K Fodera AJ would look out of place in North Carolina (median family income $48K).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

The Andrew Jackson Fodera has no truss rod or graphite bars because Jackson thinks they affect tone.

While the Fodera Anthony Jackson has no graphite stiffening bars in the neck, it does use a truss rod - a titanium one.

7 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I think you may be slightly mis-reading the text. In other blurb and in interviews with Mr Jackson a single truss rod placed in a proprietary location is mentioned (whatever that means). On a more obvious level, the pics in the first link show a truss rod cover at the headstock end...

Edited by FDC484950
  • Like 1

Before you go and order one I strongly advise you borrow one of mine. The thick necks are an eye opener.

I do like a thick neck, if I remember correctly you are at the opposite end of the country to me as I am in the south west (although we are quite likely to head north later in the year, family homeland and all that) 

The old Presentation model has a truss rod- but as you correctly stated earlier, there are no stiffening rods or materials in the neck construction  (a truss rod doesn't act as a "stiffening agent", rather it is there to counteract the tension exerted by the strings on the neck). I've played Dave Swift's presentation model, and yup, there is definitely a truss rod in there.

Crazily expensive basses!!!

Edited by kevin_lindsay

19 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Surely whether the bass has a truss rod or not isn’t the issue - but the prices being discussed are what make these Fodera’s eligible for the thread title! Absolute madness.

Not the luthier's madness in this case though...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Ah! - so here's the guy who's turned up for the audition with the blues rock pub band.

I don't think this is going to go well.............................

OTT bass.jpg

Silly boy's not wearing shoes. Not happening in my band!

4 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Ah! - so here's the guy who's turned up for the audition with the blues rock pub band.

I don't think this is going to go well.............................

OTT bass.jpg

The venue must be prestigious - a Van Gogh!!

Edited by spectoremg