Why become a member? ×

Bandless for the first time in years

Buzzy

For the first time since 2002 I’m bandless.  Back then I returned to gigging after a three year break and have been playing solidly ever since. At the end of last year I was in two working bands. 
Band A:  I left at the beginning of this year as I couldn’t stand working with a particular person any longer. We had the dreaded “band meeting” and decided to carry on but I just couldn’t face working with this person again, so after initially being convinced things would be better I resigned once and for all.
Band B: we lost the guitarist in October and used a dep for a couple of gigs. We had a replacement lined up who had learned all the set, so everything was looking positive for the future. We did our last gig with the dep and were sorting dates etc for some rehearsals with the new guy. Also looking at putting some new numbers in the set. The day after the gig we lose two members. From a six piece we were down to three. Spoke to one of the others and he doesn’t think he can be bothered to put another line up together and the other guy has stopped responding to texts and calls.

I’ve been a gigging weekend warrior for about 40 years with a couple of breaks so this feels really strange.  Now in my late 50s I’m thinking that maybe this is a sign that its game over for me with all this band stuff.

I know when I was most recently - 2011 - temporarily bandless it seemed very alien and not a very comforable place to be. These things happen, Band A you did the right thing, Band B, well sometimes these things happen. I wouldn`t take it as any kind of meaning that you should stop being in bands, to me it`s only the closeness of the two events that could do that. If each outcome had happened 2 years apart you`d probably have a different take on it all. And late 50s is no age to stop, whilst not being quite there - early 50s for me - I`m having more fun now in music than I ever did at a younger age, and that`s in an originals band.

4 minutes ago, Pestie said:

If you want to you can. Age means nothing go for it if it is what you want!

Absolutely this. Two negative situations occurring isn't a 'sign', it's just a coincidence. Anyone can do anything regardless of age, etc. it's simply a matter of having the will and the conviction to do it. If you want do be in a band then you will make it happen - but if you've had enough and can't be bothered, then you won't. I agree with Lozz, I'm no spring chicken but I'm enjoying my playing more than ever. As usual, it's all in the mind. Which, when you think about it, is obvious. :D

Unless you are incredibly lucky , bands dont seem to last too long these days .

My last great band ended 5 years ago and since then I have been in various start up bands , done short notice gigs , and occationally do open mike nights . Although i'm not in a "proper "  band , I am still playing very regularly , so you dont need to quit and sell off your gear yet . Dont think of yourself as a fifty something year old ,( I'm 54 myself ) think of yourself as someone with 40 years of gigging experiance .

• Haha 1

I'd echo all the positive things said so far. There's no need to stop if you've still got the itch that needs to be scratched.

I've just started a new  band project at the age of 59. It's a recording-only band at the moment but busy and great fun. I did have to make the effort to go to a local pub's jam night at talk to people though! Not everyone is comfy with that I know.

Where you live probably makes a difference too. I'm in the East Mids M1 corridor.

Loads of towns, villages, big cities nearby and (relatively) good transport links.

Don't give up! Good luck.

Gave up bands early 30's restarted at 50 and currently just joined 2 different style bands at almost 58. I seem to have more opportunities now than i did in my 20's. I've been in so many different style bands in the last 7/8 yrs trying to find the one that suits me best and will last the pace. 

Classic Rock / Metal band and a 70's Glam Rock band in the making so its all go. I want a band that is having fun, get along really well and doing some decent gigs.

You did the right thing and all you have to do now is start looking thru the adverts to see what else is out there in your area.

With the Rock band we are quite well spread out so we rehearse in the middle area. Drummer is 70 miles, guitarist is 45miles, singer 20miles and myself and 2nd guitarist approx 30miles from where we rehearse but its great fun and i enjoy the songs even tho i've never really been a heavy metal fan its just good fun.

The Glam band is still at the talking stage and will be looking to finalise other members end of the month Feb due to other commitments.

Never give up. Age is all in the mind. So get out there and have fun

Dave. 

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gave up bands early 30's restarted at 50 and currently just joined 2 different style bands at almost 58. I seem to have more opportunities now than i did in my 20's. I've been in so many different style bands in the last 7/8 yrs trying to find the one that suits me best and will last the pace. 

Classic Rock / Metal band and a 70's Glam Rock band in the making so its all go. I want a band that is having fun, get along really well and doing some decent gigs.

You did the right thing and all you have to do now is start looking thru the adverts to see what else is out there in your area.

With the Rock band we are quite well spread out so we rehearse in the middle area. Drummer is 70 miles, guitarist is 45miles, singer 20miles and myself and 2nd guitarist approx 30miles from where we rehearse but its great fun and i enjoy the songs even tho i've never really been a heavy metal fan its just good fun.

The Glam band is still at the talking stage and will be looking to finalise other members end of the month Feb due to other commitments.

Never give up. Age is all in the mind. So get out there and have fun

Dave. 

58 is a bit old for wearing platforms    🤩🤩

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the positive responses, the drummer from Band B , messaged me about putting together a band to back a singer he's worked with in the past. So I guess it's a case of one door closes another one opens.

Maybe I'm not quite ready for the scrap heap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

But there's definitely an argument to be made that the sooner some you old fogeys graduate to pipe and slippers, the more opportunities there'll be for youngsters like me.

:|

There’s an old saying for us older guys.

We have learnt, played and forgotten more songs than you young guys have yet to play. 😁😁

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, discreet said:

If you've still got your hair, I don't think it matters much. :biggrin:

I'm good then and have a long career ahead of me by looks of it. xD

There may be something in that statement. Since finishing work i've allowed my hair to grow long again and the offers and bands are getting more and more too.

Longer the hair the more offers i get ............I like it :D

20 hours ago, Buzzy said:

Thanks for all the positive responses, the drummer from Band B , messaged me about putting together a band to back a singer he's worked with in the past. So I guess it's a case of one door closes another one opens.

Maybe I'm not quite ready for the scrap heap.

sh*t happens in bands......keep at it and something good will turn up!

Band.png

• Haha 1

I can't remember when I wasn't gigging. However I could be in your shoes in the not to distant future.

Gigging is all I really have in life. I'm proactively looking for an intact established band with a decent book of business ( 70 gigs annually ) that's making money.

No start ups, no originals bands.

Blue

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Thought your band was sorted Blue. ?

Is this a back up plan you're looking for. ?

Dave

When I joined the band 6 years ago, the focus was to gig as much as possible. We were playing 70 gigs a year.

Now, it seems like they want to cut back on gigs and I can't afford to do that.

Blue

Only just discovered this thread, I can certainly agree with the thoughts that you're only as old as you feel, it's all in the mind (I thought it was all in the fingers, when did we change it??) and long hair helps! I turned 60 a couple of months ago, still have long hair, and was recently asked to join the best band I have ever played in, in fact one of the best I have heard. The future is looking good, and only a few months ago I thought life would be all pipe and slippers once I became 60! 

• Like 1