Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Wanted

Bluewine

I almost thought this ad might be a joke. Maybe not, I'm not sure there would be many guys looking for 5-6 gigs, even if it's just for fun.

What are your thoughts on the ad and the opportunity.

Let's Talk About It

Blue

"Bass Player needed for cover band that plays about 5-6 shows per year. 

Wetake playing well seriously all while having fun. This is a hobby for the members of the band which is why we only play about 5-6 (sometimes more)shows a year. All of us have families and full time jobs outside of this band.

We cover classic rock, country, and some of today's music. Basically, festival type stuff. 

All the guys are super easy going, serious about playing well and professional, and just plain fun to be around. 

Would appreciate a picture and video of your playing, would save us all lots of time. 

I hate to post the below caveats but the only reason I do is because we've had these problems before... 

If you are in multiple bands and trying to schedule a practice with you is an ordeal, probably not the project for you. 

Communication is key, if it takes you 3 days to answer an email or text, probably not the project for you. 
(don't worry, we are not chronic texters or emailers) 

Do your homework before practice. (obvious but I had to say it) "

When I was in my old punk covers band we went from gigging at least every other week to one gig every 2 months due to one of the members of the bands other commitments. Drove us mad, especially as he also fitted into all 3 of the categories listed by the above as undesirable. Practising and gigging weekly was the only way of keeping him focused and on the ball. Whilst it might be ok for some, not for me.

• Like 1

Think it depends on what you're looking for from a band.

For a band that its a hobby with circa 5-6 gigs a year i think their demands or caveats are a bit much to ask to be honest. Most musicians i know these days are playing in more than one band.

This sounds more like a group of guys that just want to have a nice wee social rehearsal with mates rather than a working band.

I have mates that don't respond very well to emails or TXT messages so 3 day limit could be a regarded as being a little tight.

Band i was in last year started out like that withe expectations of just a few gigs a year after a while they found themselves wanting to do more. Sadly guitarist left tho. Time for me to then move on. :biggrin:

As for doing homework before rehearsals i couldn't agree more. That annoys the hell outa me when others turn up expecting to learn the song on the night. Sadly i've found it quite common. 

Dave

• Like 1

like it - good ad

I can certainly sympathise with their list of demands, it's extremely clear about the intentions, and it's very plain that they just want to have a bit of a laugh and nothing more - my personal bugbear is that differing views on what constitutes "commitment" which for some people means rehearsing three times a week and playing every weekend, and for others means showing up whenever they don't have anything better to do.

The one point that's missing is whether they expect to be paid for the five or six gigs.  I think it's implicit that it's not going to be a money making exercise (unless they happen to be Pink Floyd and the gigs are quite large), but maybe a little bit more info on whether the gigs are playing friends birthdays for a couple of beers or if they are a higher level that is going to pay back at least some of the rehearsal costs.

Nothing there sounds unreasonable to me. Some folk use mobiles and notice texts, some don't. They want to work with folk who do notice these things.

My only possible reservation would be, is it a lot of work to get the act working well and yet only have 5-6 gigs a year? Especially if you're expected to pitch in for a share of PA or anything else.

Mostly I like the sound of it. When can I get to meet these guys?

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

This sounds more like a group of guys that just want to have a nice wee social rehearsal with mates rather than a working band.

This is exactly how my old “band” worked and I’d love to find something similar again! I doubt I’d ever be the type to to want to play gigs every other night but a social jam with some like minded mates (who are willing to do at least a bit of “homework”) sounds perfect! Sounds like a reasonable ad to me.

• Like 1

I play in a band that this might as well be an ad for.

It's a great laugh,  practices (about 3 a month) are fun and are basically a get together for a jam. We do about that many gigs, we hire venue, promote etc. We generally make a little profit, which usually goes to charity.

It's not a function band, and we don't play classic covers stuff, but otherwise the same applies. We've all got other commitments (other bands, families, jobs etc.) so it suits us. For me, it beats going to the pub and watching a football match. I hate footy and drinking takes second place to playing for me. It gets me out of the house and keeps me off the streets ;)

I've done my time playing functions and pubs/clubs circuits. Honestly i haven't got the energy for all that these days. I'm sure I'm not alone...

• Like 2

A gig a month is ideal for me as playing is and always has been just a hobby for me. Any more than that starts to feel like a job.

My point about playing in other bands was more about the fact they will be limiting who applys for the job.  

If you are in another band that is gigging fairly regularly then that band would more than likely take preference over this one.

Dave 

2 hours ago, lojo said:

One of the bands I've played with for a number of years only plays about that many gigs , advert seems reasonable for me , ideal for a busy person who gigs for fun and can't commit to a full on musical project 

That makes sense but so far from my world.

Blue

2 hours ago, brensabre79 said:

I play in a band that this might as well be an ad for.

Me too, in fact I wonder if it is my band... Perhaps they are trying to replace me, it did take me a week to respond to the last rehearsal email :/.

I get this Ad completely, it's a band for guys like me: those who have full time jobs, young kids and commitments that prevent them joining a working band.  

I agree that those gigs are probably a mix of local fund raisers, private events for friends and family and maybe some unpaid gigs at a local pub.  Nothing that's going to generate actual income.

I don't have a problem with the caveats they've listed - seem like reasonable asks to me, even for a casual band.

It depends on how good they are. There's a few bands I wouldn't have a problem joining if I knew the musicianship was excellent and the gigs they played were top notch. 

I play 70 to 100 gigs a year with other bands. So I wouldn't want to play in a band that only played 5-6, under rehearsed, gigs in dive bars. That would not be worth the bother.

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

As for doing homework before rehearsals i couldn't agree more. That annoys the hell outa me when others turn up expecting to learn the song on the night. Sadly i've found it quite common. 

Dave

If they're reheasing weekly for 5 gigs then it's obviously more of a social outlet thing.

Blue

3 hours ago, la bam said:

They genuinely might like the practice more than the gig and look forward to an informal no pressure meet up once a week, a chat, drink and a good blast out playing wise. More of a social night out than a project to drive for gigs.

Exactly, but not for me. I'm definitely not and never have been in this for chat & drink. 

I play bass guitar and sing for a fee. Commerce allows me to do that.

Blue