Why become a member? ×

Strings - the difference that they make (and why is my taste expensive?)

mcnach

I’m generally happy with basic Rotosound and D’Addario for either nickel plated or plain steels. I push the boat out and put Elixir coated plain steels on a bitsa that lives in storage at the studios because despite the less than ideal conditions, with no more care than clean hands to begin with and a quick wipe down before it goes back in the flightcase, I get a year of weekly rehearsals out of a set.

My girlfriend settled on Fender 9050 flats after playing them on one of my precisions, but ultimately decided she wanted them on an Ibanez SR650. Turned out to be quite a good combination!

For me, gauge is more important than brand.

I've just put a set of Trace Elliot 30-90 gauge strings onto the Japanese MM Ray I acquired with AndyTravis' assistance - feels fantastic now - I wasn't particularly happy with the 45/50s that were on it - far too heavy for me.

I know most people think that the Alice coloured strings area gadgetty but I really like them - light gauge, smooth texture and good longevity - can't ask for much more.

On 09/01/2018 at 15:51, thepurpleblob said:

I've never been hugely fussed - except I know I don't like Rotosounds. They have a really corse finish that puts shivers up my spine. Not in a good way!!

I've been using SIT strings for a while and get on well with those. They're a bit tricky to get in the UK though. 

Tell me about it! Wish Bass Direct did more gauges of them. 

On 08/01/2018 at 16:49, FinnDave said:

Strings make the most important contribution to the sound and feel of any bass, in my opinion.

In my opinion also. Lots of threads here about the qualities of various pickups, preamps, bridges, 'tonewoods', amps, cabs, on and on it goes. But many perceived issues can be addressed simply by fitting the right, or at least different, strings. This often gets overlooked. Which is a shame, as given the huge difference they make, the required investment is minimal, especially when compared with pickups, bridges, etc...

Edited by discreet

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I thought 'stock' just meant 'the cheapest deal the manufacturer could get'.

The same could be said of pretty wall all of the components, if going down that route, and about pretty well all manufacturers. It makes one wonder how the bass got bought, if it didn't sound good with the strings it had on it. ;)

8 hours ago, Skybone said:

Nothing wrong with 'cheap' strings, and the Fender 7250's & 7350's are pretty good IMO

I didn't say there was anything wrong with them, just that they shouldn't be used as a benchmark of quality just because Fender or Gibson decided to put them on their instruments. I bought a new Fender last week and the first thing I did when it arrived was change the strings.

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The same could be said of pretty wall all of the components, if going down that route, and about pretty well all manufacturers. It makes one wonder how the bass got bought, if it didn't sound good with the strings it had on it. ;)

With a little imagination you can feel and hear 'through' the strings. I prefer flats on my Precisions, yet I have never seen one in shop with anything but harsh twangy rounds on. 

• Like 1

Come on then, everyone: I've got two USA Precisions, both with Rotosound Monel flats. Arriving today (I hope) is a G&L L2000, also USA made. From the pictures in the ad  it has roundwounds fitted, which I don't like and look a bit knackered at the bridge anyway so: Which flats for this? The Roto's which I like on the P's or something else as this is a different animal entirely?

In my quest of many strings over the years, I`ve found only Roto Steel Rounds are for me, so it may be the Monels are the only string for you. Why not put a new set on the G&L, then if you don`t like them on that then at least you`ve a spare set in waiting for one of the Precisions.

2 minutes ago, AntLockyer said:

Should never change strings if someone says they love an instrument :)

I think I have to agree.

Normally the first thing I think I have to do when I get a new bass is change  the strings, but I picked up a used Ibanez atk a few months back and had intentions to change the strings, but after a while I contacted the seller to ask what strings were on there as they suited the bass so much (and they were Picato steels which I had never tried)

of course from flats to rounds etc is a different thing. But maybe give it sometime if it's a used bass to find out :)

G&L is a whole different animal. I had an ASAT and also an ASAT semi hollow which is the same electronics as the L2000. Tos MFD pick ups have a lot of volume, and balls. To my ear and mind they are a bit Treble harsh. I think Leo compensated his overall and high end hearing loss by winding the pick ups to replace this, hence the sound of the bass.

very well made bass, but if you like your pedals or a bit more subtlety you may have to dial back a bit or struggle. I have a couple of pre-amps I really like and it didn’t play nicely with them, but straight into the amp, very good.

i did use GHS boomers and it didn’t mind them at all, but they die quick. To my ears it hated Ernie Ball Slinky’s

Edited by Cuzzie

The bass arrived yesterday and it's great - I've only had a brief fiddle around with the switches etc. but it all works and they do make an amazing range of tones. I don't like the rounds, and although I like the Monels on my Precisions they are a bit stiff for my poor old fingers so I've swallowed hard and ordered a set of Thomastik Infeld Flats. I'll be really keen to find out what they are like, and if they arrive tomorrow morning I'll fit them and maybe gig it tomorrow night.

Edited by phil.c60

5 minutes ago, Highfox said:

Jeez..you couldn't get much different from the Roto flats and TI's with regards to tension. I like the Ti's but found that A string way too floopy for me. The La bella's are a good in-between.

I like La Bellas too and found the TI's way too floopy. They were also too floppy. If you can put up with the floopy floppiness, they sound great. But I couldn't.

Edited by discreet