Why become a member? ×

Arise Sir Ringo

chris_b

If you are a top civil servant (which almost certainly means you got parachuted in from a good family), the honours are almost parts of the terms and conditions of the job, for doing your job like you were supposed to in the first place, which is why it always seemed like a pointless exersise. If your award was because you became very rich and famous doing your job, what is the point? If the award isn't for doing way more than your job actually required, what is the point of it?

The honours list can tell you quite a lot, especially when you look at those people who haven't got one.

When a long serving Prime Minister such as Tony Blair is repeatedly snubbed for a basic knighthood, let alone the more esoteric awards such as the 'Order of the Garter' which ex PMs normally get as a matter of routine (even John Major is a member) it tells you that he his very much on HM's naughty list. 

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

The honours list can tell you quite a lot, especially when you look at those people who haven't got one.

When a long serving Prime Minister such as Tony Blair is repeatedly snubbed for a basic knighthood, let alone the more esoteric awards such as the 'Order of the Garter' which ex PMs normally get as a matter of routine (even John Major is a member) it tells you that he his very much on HM's naughty list. 

When you back a president who used war as a cover for dodgy business practices then I don't think you should get anything. 

7 minutes ago, la bam said:

I might be wrong, but hasnt 'Wiley' been awarded an MBE for 'services to music'?

Reading about his career it seems fair enough.

Just about every big name in UK hip hop credits Wiley with either giving them their big break or helping them out early in their careers.

He seems very highly respected within that community and no less deserving than anyone else who's been key in the development of. given music genre.

1 minute ago, The59Sound said:

When you back a president who used war as a cover for dodgy business practices then I don't think you should get anything. 

Obviously her Madge feels the same way.

Every year that the standard ex Prime Ministerial honours are withheld from Blair is like a personal slap in the face from the Queen.

Long may it continue.

• Like 1

Saw a show from his tour a few years back.  He drummed for two songs and then sang the rest of the night.  The Beatles only let him sing one song a night.  I guess he's getting his revenge,  but I would rather see him drum than sing any day!  Maybe that should have been one of the conditions of the award.  Drum,  don't sing!

I think Ringo's got his gong for being an all round good geezer, not for being a a drummer, singer or whatever. I'm fine with that. He certainly deserves it a hell of a lot more than Clegg, Brady and all those political a r s e kissers.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yank said:

Saw a show from his tour a few years back.  He drummed for two songs and then sang the rest of the night.  The Beatles only let him sing one song a night.  I guess he's getting his revenge,  but I would rather see him drum than sing any day!  Maybe that should have been one of the conditions of the award.  Drum,  don't sing!

never had a good voice, but it still sounds the same which is more than can be said about Macca

19 hours ago, Bluewine said:

All this talk about Ringo and his drumming abilty really gets away from me.

Anyone can be a good competent drummer. Ringo was first and foremost  a Beatle. Being a Beatle was his job and nobody did or does it better than him.

I say there's never too many hounors if you were a part of a band that changed the world for the better.

Blue

Quite agree, and for all those that knock his drumming ability, maybe they should ponder on the fact that two of the best songwriters in the world wanted his drumming on their songs, in their band.

44 minutes ago, bassace said:

There has been quite a tide of pop knighthoods over the past few years, so who’s next, I wonder. Sir Sting perhaps? And Mark Knoffler does a lot of ‘good works’.

Any ideas

There were a few stories about David Beckham a while ago which suggested that you generally don't get a knighthood for services outside of politics or government just by sitting on your backside waiting to be awarded one.

There's a fair bit of lobbying the appropriate comittees involved.

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Quite agree, and for all those that knock his drumming ability, maybe they should ponder on the fact that two of the best songwriters in the world wanted his drumming on their songs, in their band.

There's a lengthy thread elsewhere discussing Ringo's talent.  Honestly, I'll admit I'm not really a fan of The Beatles, but I do wholly acknowledge their legacy and it was listening to Sgt Pepper for the first time that caused the Ringo-disdain to manifest itself...just listening to what he was doing on what is considered to be an epoch-making album left me cold.

If nothing at all, it does give us the opportunity to enjoy and bask in the glory once again, of that fantastic dialogue from Red Dwarf's Parallel Universe episode:

HOLLY: This is parallel universe, innit?
RIMMER: What do you mean?
HOLLY: Well, for instance, in this universe, it could be that Hitler won the Second World War.  It could be something even more incredible, like perhaps Ringo was a really good drummer.  

• Haha 1