Why become a member? ×

Marketplace - seller location

Phil_T

Nort sure if I'm missing a profile setting or something but the vast majority of marketplace sellers do not appear to have their location visible - is it just me or the same for everyone? Would it be worth considering making it a prerequisite of using the marketplace that you state where you are? I mean, there's quite a few adds on there that state 'collection preferred'  - from where !? 

• Like 1

Even if sellers had it in their old profile, it got lost in move to the new software. You need to edit your profile to enter it back in.

Also, in the old software you could see the OPs "location". Now you need to actually go into their profile page to see it.

So, totally with @Phil_T in this.it needs to be in the advert.

5 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Also, in the old software you could see the OPs "location". Now you need to actually go into their profile page to see it. 

I don't think it's as simple as that. I'm currently using a laptop with IE, and can see locations (when they're there...) without having to delve into profiles. However, despite seeing several statements from admins etc that there are no longer different mobile and full/desktop sites, my own experience is different, when I'm using different devices (desktop/mobile/tablet) and browsers. I don't see locations on my phone.

35 minutes ago, barkin said:

I don't think it's as simple as that. I'm currently using a laptop with IE, and can see locations (when they're there...) without having to delve into profiles. However, despite seeing several statements from admins etc that there are no longer different mobile and full/desktop sites, my own experience is different, when I'm using different devices (desktop/mobile/tablet) and browsers. I don't see locations on my phone.

Whether certain fields are visible or not is down to the browser window size. It automatically scales. That's why it's the same page for mobile or desktop.

If on desktop you make the window small enough it will change to "mobile view".

Yes, it can be irritating. However, I find it quite a good 'Darwin Award' check. Some one  is trying to sell you something. Collection or some kind of postage is inevitable. They don't make it clear where they live. 

Likelihood of a smooth transaction?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ped said:

We're looking at making location a field which must be filled in when signing up but will have to do so on a test site. 

Be prepared to have to put up with entries such as 'Shan't tell' or 'Home, obviously' or worse. S'inevitable.

If folks are noggin enough to put 'Collection only' and not give the location in the ad itself, then they'll be missing out on potential sales. Personally, I've no problem with that; I'd just pass on to the next ad. :)

40 minutes ago, charic said:

Whether certain fields are visible or not is down to the browser window size. It automatically scales. That's why it's the same page for mobile or desktop.

If on desktop you make the window small enough it will change to "mobile view".

Ah. I see now. Cheers.

1 hour ago, leftybassman392 said:

I try always to put my location in 'for sale' ads. Whether I let the greater Basschat community know where I live is up to me, surely? Or am I missing something?

Absolutely; it's not mandatory for inclusion in ads either. If one chooses not to, then one forgoes the advantages it could bring, either in an ad or the wider BC community. An example of the latter could be someone wanting advice on set-up, or a transport problem; even local weather conditions; someone local could help, but only if location is given. Not mandatory, then, but often useful. It's a choice, though, same as declaring one's gender or age. I've no problem with that, myself.

5 minutes ago, mybass said:

Good grief, just make it a prerequisite for everyone to have their home location in their profile so it shows up in the advert.

Yup that's what we plan on doing ( a field which says 'where is the item located' when you make a sales post) - but it will require some development. Sounds simple but it'll take a while to sort!!

7 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Yes, it can be irritating. However, I find it quite a good 'Darwin Award' check. Some one  is trying to sell you something. Collection or some kind of postage is inevitable. They don't make it clear where they live. 

Likelihood of a smooth transaction?

This. A PM asking for location takes a few seconds. I never buy from or sell to people overseas and always like to see/try before I buy. If someone can't offer that, I'm not interested. If you buy sight unseen, its always a risk. Photos are unreliable, imho.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

... and I guarantee that it'll be populated by some with 'Upstairs' or 'At home' or the like..! 9_9

It'll be mainly to remind people that a location will help them sell the item; if they decide to not use it, up to them! At least it'll remind those who haven't set up a location in their profile, which is a bit more of a faff at the moment.

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Absolutely; it's not mandatory for inclusion in ads either. If one chooses not to, then one forgoes the advantages it could bring, either in an ad or the wider BC community. An example of the latter could be someone wanting advice on set-up, or a transport problem; even local weather conditions; someone local could help, but only if location is given. Not mandatory, then, but often useful.

All good points well made. ¬¬