Why become a member? ×

Marketplace - seller location

Phil_T

My own thinking on this is that we want the site to be as fluid and simple as possible.

The more fields people have to fill in (or have the option to fill in) then the more there is to go wrong.

Balancing that, for the buyers having certain fields could be really handy.

Some people are really nervous about posting these things online (and some people's jobs actually forbid it) and they might even insist on posting it. What we don't want to do is scare these people off.

I'll try to think of an elegant solution but it will take a fair amount of testing to get right

32 minutes ago, charic said:

My own thinking on this is that we want the site to be as fluid and simple as possible.

The more fields people have to fill in (or have the option to fill in) then the more there is to go wrong.

Some people are really nervous about posting these things online (and some people's jobs actually forbid it) and they might even insist on posting it. What we don't want to do is scare these people off.

I'll try to think of an elegant solution but it will take a fair amount of testing to get right

As mentioned, even the county would give a general idea of the area.

Work-wise, most peoples jobs say they shouldn't be posting online whilst at work.

No need for their precise post-code.

5 hours ago, charic said:

In my opinion, it is such a small issue that any 'solution' seems overkill to me. I just can't see what the problem is with sending a message to a seller if they failed to mention their location. If someone cannot do that, then I don't think they're that interested in buying in the first place. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mcnach said:

In my opinion, it is such a small issue that any 'solution' seems overkill to me. I just can't see what the problem is with sending a message to a seller if they failed to mention their location. If someone cannot do that, then I don't think they're that interested in buying in the first place. 

That's an interesting way of flipping the question around.

38 minutes ago, prowla said:

That's an interesting way of flipping the question around.

I think it only seems interesting to you because it's contrary to what you'd like. It seems pretty logical (to me, but of course I'd say that ;))

I still haven't heard a good reason to make disclosing location compulsory. 

7 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Personally,   i dont think compulsory on the rest of the forums is necessary, but when in the For Sale section, and where money is changing hands,

it should be

why do you think you need to have it on the FS section?

By the time money changes hands I'd expect you know a great deal more about each other than what a little "location" tag under their avatar says, no? 

55 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I think it only seems interesting to you because it's contrary to what you'd like. It seems pretty logical (to me, but of course I'd say that ;))

I still haven't heard a good reason to make disclosing location compulsory. 

I don't think it should be compulsory but those that don't add it need to be aware that they may get less interest in an item, every Modulus 5 that comes up has been somewhere outside of the uk and I've passed them by, I'm gas free but if one popped up near me I might be tempted for example.

12 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Not really, it is conjecture on your part as to why people might object rather than an explanation by someone as to why they object.  

Those that are reticent, or 'shrinking violets', may not, by their very nature, be willing to enlarge upon their choice; you may be disappointed. Just sayin'.

20 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't think it should be compulsory but those that don't add it need to be aware that they may get less interest in an item, every Modulus 5 that comes up has been somewhere outside of the uk and I've passed them by, I'm gas free but if one popped up near me I might be tempted for example.

Oh yes, I get that. But if the seller is not bothered by that, why force them? I think having the location displayed is useful and I have no problem displaying mine. I'm just against making it compulsory when there's no better reason than "but I often search the marketplace and sometimes I don't know if an item I might like is local to me or not". 

edit: I said 'displaying mice' when I meant 'displaying mine'... but if I had pet mice I'd happily display them too. I used to have rats and they were a lot of fun. :)

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul S said:

... and I haven't read a good reason why not :)   What is the objection to it?

My objection is to actively forcing people to do something they don't need to do. I'm not a fan of making superfluous rules.

• Like 2