Why become a member? ×

Marketplace - seller location

Phil_T

1 minute ago, leftybassman392 said:

I didn't say it was.

You stated "It's your opinion that the site should demand location information" and I clarified, by saying "it's my opinion that the site should require it, but it's not my demand that the site must require it.".

That's OK to say, isn't it?

1 minute ago, prowla said:

You stated "It's your opinion that the site should demand location information" and I clarified, by saying "it's my opinion that the site should require it, but it's not my demand that the site must require it.".

That's OK to say, isn't it?

Certainly is. Now if you can point me to the post where I claimed you had in fact demanded it perhaps we can move forward.

3 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Certainly is. Now if you can point me to the post where I claimed you had in fact demanded it perhaps we can move forward.

Sure - in response to your "Really?", I was simply clarifying my position that it is my opinion rather than a demand; that's all.

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

Sure - in response to your "Really?", I was simply clarifying my position that it is my opinion rather than a demand; that's all.

Excuse me? Are you doing this deliberately?

Whatever, it's academic now anyway.

I will continue to post For Sale ads the same way as I've been doing these past 8 years or so.

I live in Solihull by the way, in case anybody needs to know...

Aaand I'm out.

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Granted it's a good idea if a seller is serious about selling stuff, but a requirement?

I'm really not trying to obtuse about this (and in one respect it is a picky little technical point), but to require someone to say where they live on pain of not being allowed to advertise...? Really?

It's a marketplace FFS; people buy stuff they often don't need with money they often don't have to spare.

+1

I also object to making it a *requirement*.

From the 'pro' comments here it seems that indicating the location is something that might help the person who places the ad... so let them choose how they want to do it. 

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Excuse me? Are you doing this deliberately?

Whatever, it's academic now anyway.

I will continue to post For Sale ads the same way as I've been doing these past 8 years or so.

I live in Solihull by the way, in case anybody needs to know...

Aaand I'm out.

At least there wasn't an FFS there, so maybe the grumps were dissipating a bit...

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

+1

I also object to making it a *requirement*.

From the 'pro' comments here it seems that indicating the location is something that might help the person who places the ad... so let them choose how they want to do it. 

Well - it's been decided anyway, so all sorted.

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I ask this out of genuine curiosity, not to start a fight, but exactly what is the issue behind stating your location?  I really don't understand why it is a problem or why anyone would get upset over it.

Ta!  :)

I'm not certain as to the ire felt by some, but it is definitely an anomaly to declare a sale to be 'Collection Only', yet not give a location from whence to collect..! Other than that, it's simply an inconvenience for those wishing to consider whether to buy the item or not, I think.

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I ask this out of genuine curiosity, not to start a fight, but exactly what is the issue behind stating your location?  I really don't understand why it is a problem or why anyone would get upset over it.

Ta!  :)

I think the problem is that other people don't state theirs, which as I said we are addressing. 

19 minutes ago, ped said:

I think the problem is that other people don't state theirs, which as I said we are addressing. 

No, I get that bit.  It seems that some people don't want to give their location if it isn't absolutely necessary and I don't get that.  It isn't as though you are doing anything sinister with the information, Ped.

Or are you?.... 

:)

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

No, I get that bit.  It seems that some people don't want to give their location...

I think it's just a question of where on the 'tin-foil helmet' scale one stands, really. Some folks are reticent by nature, and will only advance the minimum required, just because that's the way they're comfortable. Others are more 'devil may care', and some would even have their PIN code tattooed on their forehead with no qualms. There are those that dig atomic shelters, and others go naked, and all sorts in between. 'Nowt so queer as folks' covers much of these musings, in my view. :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I think it's just a question of where on the 'tin-foil helmet' scale one stands, really. Some folks are reticent by nature, and will only advance the minimum required, just because that's the way they're comfortable. Others are more 'devil may care', and some would even have their PIN code tattooed on their forehead with no qualms. There are those that dig atomic shelters, and others go naked, and all sorts in between. 'Nowt so queer as folks' covers much of these musings, in my view. :)

I think the county would suffice for initial information purposes.

Just now, Paul S said:

Yes, of course... but... why?

Well, just one daft 'example': consider all the 'Norfolk' jokes; some folks may not enjoy continued ribaldry on the subject. There are doubtless other 'reasons' (I was born and bred in Norfolk; it holds no stigma for me, but for some...).