Why become a member? ×

best value DAW

gjamer

31 minutes ago, ambient said:

Why I love Logic Pro, though I’m sure other DAWs will do the same.

I’ve been doing a remote session for a guy over the last day or so. It’s a kind of prog-rock thing in 7/4, very, very minimal percussion and drums. All he sent me was a WAV of the track. 

I imported it into Logic Pro, and using the tempo detect the tempo fluctuates quite a lot. So just playing along and recording was ridiculous. There are piano stabs at the start of each bar that you need to hit, which isn’t easy when they don’t fall exactly where you anticipate them. They were only maybe a fraction of a second out, but it sounds messy if you don’t get them exact. The tempo detect function though will not only detect the tempo but also add a click to record along with.

But it's only available on Mac, right?

55 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers guys. I can see there is going to be no substitute for downloading a few of these and having a quick play!

Reaper, Protools, Reason and Presonus to check out then, and then jump and hope for the best! 

It might be an idea if you can do a very in depth, detailed, extensive, review of each DAW for BC.

It will save any future newbie having the brain freeze, indecisive grief you are having....

:biggrin:

2 minutes ago, lowdown said:

It might be an idea if you can do a very in depth, detailed, extensive, review of each DAW for BC.

It will save any future newbie having the brain freeze, indecisive grief you are having....

:biggrin:

Lol! And there was me hoping to save time by standing on the shoulders of my illustrious forbears...

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Lol! And there was me hoping to save time by standing on the shoulders of my illustrious forbears...

Sometimes a fresh eye is best :)

Before you start I would suggest having a think about how you would LIKE to be able to work :)

I'm failing to understand the comments regarding Reaper and MIDI. I'm certainly not the 'sharpest knife in the drawer', and my needs/uses are, in sum, rather modest, but I've had no issues whatever using Reaper for MIDI tracks, either recording 'live', importing or manually editing. Maybe I'm missing something (seems likely...)..? The only thing I can think of would be a way of 'programming' a mathematical change, such as all MIDI 2 volume values to be increased by 5% if they're under 25, or stuff like that, but even then I'm pretty sure that if I looked hard enough (there's plenty of forum knowledge out there...), there's probably an extension for such, and more. What's the beef with Reaper and MIDI..? O.o

Just curious; and now I'm likely to learn something, hopefully. :)

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Online help is available (and essential), but generally there are no short cuts. There are as many ways to do things as there are people doing them. Once you get a handle on it, you'll be fine, but it may take a little while. Baby steps, no flying before you can crawl, etc. etc. :)

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm failing to understand the comments regarding Reaper and MIDI. I'm certainly not the 'sharpest knife in the drawer', and my needs/uses are, in sum, rather modest, but I've had no issues whatever using Reaper for MIDI tracks, either recording 'live', importing or manually editing. Maybe I'm missing something (seems likely...)..? The only thing I can think of would be a way of 'programming' a mathematical change, such as all MIDI 2 volume values to be increased by 5% if they're under 25, or stuff like that, but even then I'm pretty sure that if I looked hard enough (there's plenty of forum knowledge out there...), there's probably an extension for such, and more. What's the beef with Reaper and MIDI..? O.o

For some DAWs midi editing is where they started (reason is a great example, they've only recently moved to recording) and so they're somewhat more fully featured/fluid in that respect than DAWs that have moved in the other direction.  I can't speak about Reaper specifically as I found it unpleasant to use so stepped away after a short period

Just now, charic said:

... they're somewhat more fully featured/fluid in that respect ...

Maybe I should look at a couple, then, as I can't really imagine what this involves. Perhaps I'm too much of a 'low-life' user to realise that there are other ways of skinning cats. Hmm... Cheers. :)

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe I should look at a couple, then, as I can't really imagine what this involves. Perhaps I'm too much of a 'low-life' user to realise that there are other ways of skinning cats. Hmm... Cheers. :)

It's a personal preference thing as much as anything :)

I would fully recommend giving Reason a good bash though

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe I should look at a couple then, as I can't really imagine what this involves...

Do that! At the very least it will be interesting and you'll definitely learn something even if you end up not using any of it. :)

Edited by discreet

BTW this is what I mean when I say about being able to see the wiring in reason

Image result for propellerhead reason wiring

I can't remember the key combination however...

It might seem like a really silly thing and in MOST instances it is a little bit, however if you want to run just the left signal of an instrument through to an effect it's as simple as dragging the cable and doing that which can make it really intuitive :) (obviously that's a weird example)

6 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I used to really like Reason for making sounds, but not so much for actual sequencing which seemed a bit basic, or maybe it was just too small on the screen? Anyway, that was years ago

I used to find it really intuitive for sequencing but that just goes to show really

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

DAWs that have their roots in the days of computer-based MIDI sequencers tend to have a lot of esoteric functions designed to get the best out of the manipulation of MIDI data. A lot of this stemmed from the days when apart from the vocals, you would hope to do everything else using the synths and hardware samplers available at the time. To get a convincing performance out of these devices required a lot of fiddling about with the data of each individual MIDI event, and anything that could help simplify and speed up the process was invaluable. These days when It is just as easy to record a real instrument or use a sample playback plug-in accessing a sound library composed of gigabytes of data (as opposed to what would fit on a handful of floppy disks) that kind of microscopic control is far less important. For those of us who still use a lot of complex MIDI commands (especially when controlling external hardware) this kind of MIDI editing and control is essential. 

TBH if you haven't missed it so far then you probably don't need it.

Edited by BigRedX

53 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

DAWs that have their roots...

Thanks for that; it makes sense. I would take it, then, that someone starting out looking to choose a DAW these days would probably not, from the outset, base his/her choice on this one aspect, then, unless already heavily into MIDI manipulation. As you say, for today's common mortals things are so much different, with VST instruments and 'live' controllers. One would have to be quite determinedly 'old school' to delve into complex MIDI code from Day One, if at all. Most, if not all, DAWs handle MIDI very well, including Reaper, but maybe not to the extent, or in the same fashion, as a 'dyed in the wool' MIDI expert might want.

2 minutes ago, 51m0n said:

I remember Logic on Mac back in the day asa a midi sequencer.

Macs never crash they said.

Hourly it would crash, all the damned time. On any one of 12 available machines.

A gargantuan pain in the derrière, and not a patch on an Atari for midi.

Hey ho 😆

Or a Commodore Amiga, that was midi at it's best

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So within Reason it's not Logic al to get Pro without a Mac and I'll be just fine with Reaper if that's what I sow and besides that should be no less of a Cakewalk than Cubase - everyone agreed?

I dunno, that little speech makes you sound like a Fruit Loop.