Why become a member? ×

best value DAW

gjamer

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Different strokes and all that - not sure why you want a video editor in a DAW when you can use a video editor?

But anyway, not trying to convert anyone, if it works for you, then its the best value for you.

I find it perfect for matching multiple cameras to audio very quickly.

Its far more intuitive than say DaVinci resolve which I use for colour correction (if needed).

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:54, sammybee said:

Reaper costs $60 - but only provides updates for 1 or 2 versions before you have to shell out for another licence. 

Huh? Not been my experience at all. One licence purchase, unlimited (and frequent) free upgrades.

On 12/12/2023 at 17:03, Woodinblack said:

Different strokes and all that - not sure why you want a video editor in a DAW when you can use a video editor?

As you say, different strokes.

I have a quite specific need: I'll be gigging (for example) tomorrow night in a pub and then Sunday afternoon at a rock'n'roll club. After each gig, I want to take the audio and tidy it up (not drop-ins and such, just a bit of compression and EQ), then match that slightly-enhanced audio to the video taken at the same time. Then I can pick one or two of the best performances or the songs with the best dancing or the ones which make me look even better than I really am and produce a couple of 3-min videos for publication that very day.

Being able to do all that, really quickly and easily, and all within the same product and interface, is an attractive proposition.

If I was setting out to re-record Dark Side Of The Moon then no, I probably wouldn't recommend Reaper. And if I was looking to re-edit Life On Earth then no, I probably wouldn't recommend Reaper.

It's horses for courses, innit?

9 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Huh? Not been my experience at all. One licence purchase, unlimited (and frequent) free upgrades.

Not strictly true; one free 'one number up' upgrade (5.nn to 6.nn, for example...), but then a new license is required (when 7.nn is released, for example...). One doesn't have to buy or use the newer version, of course. Still, over a decade or so, I've paid a total of 80€ or so. Great value. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353

Interesting. I've been using Reaper for over two years now without hitting that particular barrier, and that's taken me from 5.nn (high numbers) when I bought it to currently 7.07.

In truth, I'm not convinced that I'd bother to pay for a further upgrade, simply because (like most people) I use such a limited range of what's on offer that most of the 'improvements' are pretty much irrelevant to me. I could use my current version as a stand-alone for the foreseeable future without it being a problem.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I have a quite specific need: I'll be gigging (for example) tomorrow night in a pub and then Sunday afternoon at a rock'n'roll club. After each gig, I want to take the audio and tidy it up (not drop-ins and such, just a bit of compression and EQ), then match that slightly-enhanced audio to the video taken at the same time. Then I can pick one or two of the best performances or the songs with the best dancing or the ones which make me look even better than I really am and produce a couple of 3-min videos for publication that very day.

Being able to do all that, really quickly and easily, and all within the same product and interface, is an attractive proposition.

I agree - I guess its different in that I wouldn't use a daw for any of that, so it is a different angle for a different product.