Why become a member? ×

Rotosound strings

CHRISDABASS

Hi

its been a long, long time since i tried these strings! I'd say probably 8-10 years since i last bought some! so i had forgotten why i dont use them!

Anyway i got hold of a few sets yesterday to try on my sadowsky's!!

All i can say is that i have no idea how Rotosound are still in business!

They felt really rough, had really uneven tone from string to string! one string was bright and lively while another was dead sounding! This happened with both sets! Just plain RUBBISH!!! they had the ability to turn a great playing/sounding bass into the complete opposite!

They must be giving different strings out to all the hundreds of named artist that apparently endorse these bad, bad strings!!

.............anyone else had this experience?

does anyone want a set of rotosounds? 45-105 been used for 15 minutes!

:)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='319499' date='Nov 1 2008, 10:11 AM']Hi

its been a long, long time since i tried these strings! I'd say probably 8-10 years since i last bought some! so i had forgotten why i dont use them!

They felt really rough, had really uneven tone from string to string! one string was bright and lively while another was dead sounding! This happened with both sets! Just plain RUBBISH!!! they had the ability to turn a great playing/sounding bass into the complete opposite!

They must be giving different strings out to all the hundreds of named artist that apparently endorse these bad, bad strings!!

:)[/quote]

I'll take them off your hands they sound ace on my fretless....
I just bought some Elixir nano plastic coated things that are terrible, its like playing with rubber gloves on.
As I build inexpensive basses I am always trying out "inexpensive" strings and must say some are ok, I have just got 3 sets of "Cheetah" heavy gauge to try out at £18.00 including postage for all 3 sets.
Each to their own.....I will have your roto's though, I have used them for years.

Edited by Prosebass

That's Interesting I've used them for years and the last set of swing bass I fitted to my Jazz a few months ago seemed rougher than I remember. I thought that they were old stock or something. Maybe Rotosound have QC issues?
I tried elites once but wasn't overly impressed. Any other suggestions for 45-105 stainless strings. Isn't there a sticky for this already elswhere here for strings?

[quote name='lonestar' post='319585' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:55 PM']That's Interesting I've used them for years and the last set of swing bass I fitted to my Jazz a few months ago seemed rougher than I remember. I thought that they were old stock or something. Maybe Rotosound have QC issues?
I tried elites once but wasn't overly impressed. Any other suggestions for 45-105 stainless strings. Isn't there a sticky for this already elswhere here for strings?[/quote]

Ah here it is
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=660"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=660[/url]

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='319499' date='Nov 1 2008, 10:11 AM']Hi

:)[/quote]

Yes, I have to say I was fed up of being disappointed pack after pack...I used to love the tone on these strings but for whatever reason things just got too inconsistent....the odd dead string, uneven tone, they started to feel unbalanced. Haven't a clue what changed but they just don't do it for me anymore. They used to growl real well to. :huh:

well im now posting them to Prosebass!!

ive been trying A LOT of strings lately and ive got to say that as far as im concerned the best all round bass string for quality, consistent and even tone across all strings, smooth feel, durability, tension and price are the sadowsky blue label steels! (45-105)

they're fab! very similar to the last set of DR's i had but at less than half the price!

5 sets for $90!??! Bargin!!!

:huh:

Ive tried pretty much every roto string there was out there cause I was highly recomended them by a bass playing mate when I first started playing bass. But you (chrisdabass) opened my eyes to elixirs when I bought your lovely 'ray. and I havent looked back, ive fitted elixirs to all my basses now. supurb strings. even sound emense on a 5 string. (cheers for the B string Ped)

I wont use rotos again ever. the only ones that were half decent were the Jazz Flats, and even those we rougher then elixir rounds.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='319970' date='Nov 2 2008, 09:18 AM']Ive tried pretty much every roto string there was out there cause I was highly recomended them by a bass playing mate when I first started playing bass. But you (chrisdabass) opened my eyes to elixirs when I bought your lovely 'ray. and I havent looked back, ive fitted elixirs to all my basses now. supurb strings. even sound emense on a 5 string. (cheers for the B string Ped)

I wont use rotos again ever. the only ones that were half decent were the Jazz Flats, and even those we rougher then elixir rounds.[/quote]

hey chris! im really glad you like them!

elixir's are great on the right bass! they really worked for me for a lot of years and they suited most of the basses i used to own! unfortunately i just cant get on with them on my current instruments.

back to rotosound.............i wonder just how many of these famous players would still use these if they had to pay for them!!!

my guess is not many at all!!

lol

I completely agree with you. I used them for around a year, mainly because a lot of my favourite bassists used them. During that 12 month period, I must have broken at least 10 string, even some of their E strings fell victim! I eventually woke up and realised that they aren't worth the cash. I'm currently using Hartkes which are twice as good at half the price!

I haven't used them for at least ten years, but I picked up a set of their "cheap" nickel rounds a few days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised. Good sound, even between strings and not particularly rough feeling. Much better than I remember the stainless strings of years ago...

My favourite is still the DR Sunbeams...followed by Thomastik Superalloys, or Overwaters. Manson's strings seem good too. Just don't buy DR's in the UK (Germany or America for sensible prices..)

For years I used rotobass nickles, I also had set of Tru-bass on my jazz and a set of jazz flats on my ray when I sold it. I've never really had a problem with Rotosound and the only reason I have changed is that I've either been given strings or picked them up at a bargain price. I got given a set of D'addario nickles when I bought the Warwick and in my opinion they are no better then the Rotobass nickles. I also got a set of Ernie Ball flatwounds (that are currently on my Warwick) for about £10 which are nice strings, not as zingy as the Roto Jazz flats but good for the blues. I recently bought 2 sets of Dunlop nickle strings off ebay for £3 each and they are sweet, I'll probably end up getting more. I've used Elites, Hartke and Picato which were good but had a few probs with Roberts and Elixier. The Roberts flatwound sounded dead and the ball ends of the Elixiers didn't fit into the tail of the Warwick very well.

[quote name='5_string_death' post='320336' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:12 PM']Huh, I've had the same set of Swing Bass 66 on my Fender since i got it, and then the guy I bought it off had them on for the last year or 2, so mine are dead as anything, and I still like the sound. Guess I just got lucky then.
Zach[/quote]

New strings are going to seem well weird when you eventually change them!

[quote name='joe_bass' post='320720' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:10 AM']I haven't found them too bad tbh, only complaint personally is that they seem to wear out pretty quick.[/quote]

yeah the ones i've had before have worn out quickly, i've had the ones i've got at the moment for a while now, and they're sounding pretty good

• 1 year later...

[quote name='5_string_death' post='320336' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:12 PM']Huh, I've had the same set of Swing Bass 66 on my Fender since i got it, and then the guy I bought it off had them on for the last year or 2, so mine are dead as anything, and I still like the sound. Guess I just got lucky then.
Zach[/quote]

Oh...I was just looking at this topic, and saw your post, and "Goodbye Blue Sky" was playing on my system...

I recently bought a set of Rotos for a 5 string bass (130-45) I have recently aquired as I figured I should probably change the strings that were on the bass when I bought it, I have previously been a long tern Roto user but had had this bass for about a month and not changed the strings that were on it when I bought it. Anyhow put the Rotos on and they just felt terrible in comparison , the strings were rough as hell, the B string was so floppy it was like playing a wet noodle whilst the other strings felt like bridge cables in comparison with the nickel rounds that were on the bass before (and anyone that knows me knows that I hate high tension strings). The strings also sounded unbalanced , the E string sounded a bit dead compared to the other strings in the set. The Rotos stayed on for about half an hour before I put the previous set of strings back on.
Edit: I should mention though that there pressurewound strings are awesome

Edited by markdavid

Interesting thread! They have always been my string of choice but I bought some of their cheap range RB45 strings recently. They sounded so bad, I thought the string mute was stuck on.

Never had that happen before. Have moved to Elixirs now.

Previously the only brand I haven't got on with has been Picato - whose strings sound really bright and extra metallic when new (which is quite nice), but very very quickly become dull.

I guess there are a few brands worth checking out. I have never tried Sadowsky, for example.

I've also never had an issue with Rotosound and have always preferred them as they seem to retain brightness for a very long time. The only time I've ever really tried anything else is when I bought a cheap set of no brand strings to go on tour with in the summer. This was a mistake as they went dull after one gig, but in fairness they did have to suffer a lot of sweat and 40 degree temperatures off stage, god knows how hot it was on stage.

I'm interested to try Elixirs but they do seem expensive especially when having to purchase a separate B string.

Rotosound 34" roundwounds are great (idf you like their sound) when they're fresh of the production line. The problem is that because they're the standard bass string for music shops to stock you have no idea how long they've been sat on the shelf. The best place to buy them is directly from Rotosound at a trade show when they are going to be as new as possible.