Why become a member? ×

Rotosound strings

CHRISDABASS

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='672989' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:25 AM']I really like 'em. Never had a problem.
Tried a few others including Elites, D'addario and Ernie Ball and was underwhelmed in comparison.
Maybe they suit some basses better than others? Great on a precision for me.[/quote]

Same here. Used them for >30 years, always ok, most get boiled a good few times. Used to snap Gs (always 35s or, if I can get them, 30s) but that was down to my playing, not snapped a string for many years now. Swing bass every time for me (although I'm recently discovering flats on an old Precision!)

I had a bad experience with Rotosound Steel Roundwounds many years ago with a duff E string. I swore I'd never go back. I have just fitted a set of Nickels to my Stingray (not the bass with the previous issue) and am quite happy with them. Great value at about £15 a set as well.

I gave up using Rotosound about a year ago after using them for about 25 years. The quality seems to have nose dived recently as I broke more strings in a year than I ever did in the previous 25.
I switched to Ernie Ball rounds and Fender flats and found these were both good.I then thought I would try some Rotosound Jazz flats but the £35 price tag put me off.
So after many years it's goodbye Rotosound

Went to buy some D'Addarios yesterday but the shop did n't have my gauge in stock, so took their advice and
got a set of Rotosound RB40 nickel/steel.

Never a fan of Rotos, I must admit they're okay-used them on my Stingray last night and felt/sounded good.
Guy in the shop said he thought they were the closest to the D'Addarios they had,and I would agree.
Not bad for £14 either ( but won't be changing to them permanently I dont think.)

I hate new rotosound swing bass strings all they're all bass and treble and feel gritty on my fingers. BUT when they've been worn in (ie about 3 or 4 yrs) they sound great. Once they start to get too dull sounding, loosen the strings for 24hrs then tune the bass back up and the zing is back.

It's just wearing them in that's a pain in the ass.

p.s. of course I'm exaggerating, it usually only takes a couple of years to wear them in.

Edited by gjones

I used Rotosounds for years as I always preferred them to the Elites equivalents which always felt sharper and rougher to me. Now they're only a cheap backup if I need some.

All of the Status instruments are strung with Status Hotwires & my Stingray is fitted with DR FatBeams.

I did buy some Rotosound flats the other day for a new acquisition for a more vintage sound and I must say that the "Jazz Bass 77's" are really good.

Someone mentioned Elixir coated strings. Yes, I like these, but they do seem far too bright when they're new. They do seem to settle nicely after some playing, though.

Rich.

I do highly recommend Rotosound TruBass strings. Which are black nylon flatwounds. Not a fan of the Rotosound flatwounds (or any others really) but this string has a really deep smooth authorative vintage character which is not a bit woolly or indistinct. Sound great with a damper, especially when recorded.