Why become a member? ×

Is this still classified as bass playing?

PawelG

I thought the sarcasm in the title was quite obvious.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1494977893' post='3300201']
Don't think many girls will be up dancing to this.
Technically still bass playing but I sure won't be going to see him or buy any of the records.
[/quote]

It's very impressing technically, but doesn't make too much sense to me musically.

Didn't see the sarcasm, but IMHO, it is putting another angle on playing the bass. I too don't feel a groove there. I wouldn't dance to it. For me it's too busy.

But, there are some types of jazz that I could say that about too.

I like it.

He's an accomplished bassist. It's an exhibition piece of various extreme bass playing techniques.

Watching some of this guy's other videos, I'm impressed and wish I could do even a little of that.

He's in time, has a good technique, there's nothing there that shouldn't be there, very cleanly played with no extraneous noise. Like someone has said above, it's an exhibition piece.

A different league to what you hear at the Bass show.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1494982004' post='3300213']
Got bored & turned off after 2 minutes - does he go on to do anything other than go pockata-pockata-bloopity-pockata-bloop, very quickly?

I'm guessing not. Stunt bass, eh? :)
[/quote]

Maybe it's his Mark King impression?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1494980941' post='3300208']
Why does bass playing have to have groove?

Personally groove comes way down in my list of what makes something interesting.
[/quote]

Interesting, I'm a groove in the pocket player. I don't have a lot of fancy fast fills and riffs.

Groove in the pocket 70s style is at the top of my list.

Poping, plucking, hammering and thumping would be at the bottom of my list. If on my list at all.

Blue

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1494978076' post='3300202']
I thought the sarcasm in the title was quite obvious.

It's very impressing technically, but doesn't make too much sense to me musically.
[/quote]

I've seen technically impressive slapping (Mark King) this is not impressive to me.

Blue

[/quote]

Depends on genre and generation. If your a part of the new direction of bass then groove is no longer important.

Me, I'm still happy living and stuck in the 70s.

Blue

Personally groove comes way down in my list of what makes something interesting.
[/quote]
Some genres of music don't really groove.

If you watch the body language of the guy in the clip he is rising and falling to some kind of beat. He is also playing a lot of slap; a style that is normally used to punch in a strong beat. Mark King plays this style as he was originally a drummer.

So to me everything in the guy tells me he thinks it grooves, but for some folk here it doesn't. It doesn't keep to a beat much at all.

And I speak as a guy who was told this week that what I do is play classical guitar on a bass: Which is probably spot on. But I like to think I play with soul and feeling.

I'm sure Wojtek also feels he plays with a beat and soul. Good luck to him.

Technically good but no tune or feel from it. Just fast playing.
That's ok to show off in music shop when trying a bass out (well to be honest it bores me a bit when i hear it in shops)
I would rather hear a nice flowing bass line to a rapid fire as many notes in a minute bass line.
Afraid i've never really got the Mark King thing to be honest. Prefer Allain Caron.

I guess i'm old school too.

Dave

I heard/felt a groove there...although i got very bored after about a minute. The guy is capable of playing with far more taste and restraint:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuALMV7Tk1k[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CK2RWT8l7k

Edited by Conan

Of course it's bass playing. How else would you describe it? For what little it may be worth I rather like it.

While I'm here, I can't quite believe the amount of pigeonholing that's going on here. The reason it doesn't have a groove (although it most certainly has a beat) is that it's not meant to have one. It's a solo performance, and as such the player is under no obligation whatsoever to adhere to the rules of ensemble playing.

Edited by leftybassman392

As a piece of music I found it boring. Technically very good but music isnt an examination piece with judges holding up score cards at the finish. I think the guy really wanted to be a guitarist but bought the wrong instrument.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1495001992' post='3300252']
Technically good but no tune or feel from it. Just fast playing.
That's ok to show off in music shop when trying a bass out (well to be honest it bores me a bit when i hear it in shops)
I would rather hear a nice flowing bass line to a rapid fire as many notes in a minute bass line.
Afraid i've never really got the Mark King thing to be honest. Prefer Allain Caron.

I guess i'm old school too.

Dave
[/quote]

Exactly.

As stated above though - he is a very capable and soulful player if needed. Nothing but respect to him. I just wanted to see what you think about this particular video where he's a bit fast :-)

[/quote]

This is really interesting.
To me, being able to keep a solid groove in the pocket is the reason I started playing bass.